How to cut your own hair to save money to go abroad

Discuss personal development, self-improvement and motivational psychology.
Winston
Site Admin

How to cut your own hair to save money to go abroad

Post by Winston »

Hi folks,
Here are some video tutorials on how to cut your own hair with clippers or scissors. I figured that this would help you guys save money by not having to go to a salon or barber, which are expensive in the US nowadays, so you can use that money to go abroad. :) I think learning to spend wisely and being frugal is part of the path of making it overseas, don't you think?

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Will N. Dowd
Junior Poster

Post by Will N. Dowd »

If you wanna cut your own hair, the 2 products I bought and now can't live without are these:

http://www.selfcutsystem.com/

They will pay for themselves very quickly.

I learned from youtube videos and now cut family members and friends at home.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How to cut your own hair to save money to go abroad

Post by Yohan »

Winston wrote:Hi folks,
...this would help you guys save money by not having to go to a salon or barber, which are expensive in the US nowadays, so you can use that money to go abroad.
How much is a haircut in USA?

I don't think you can save much money if you cut your hair yourself every 2 months or so, it's an insignificant sum if considering otherwise expenses like rent, electric, water, car or motorcycle etc. etc.

But what about laundry?

What about washing your clothes yourself? Maybe you can save money, how are you arranging your laundry? I think this is a good question too.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

I would save about $100 per year by cutting my own hair.

Alone, that is not significant. But as part of a concerted effort to economize, why not? Most people waste enough money over the course of a couple of years to pay for a roundtrip ticket and $40 per day for expenses for a month long Asia trip.

Cut out expensive coffee, beer, booze, dope, sodas, energy drinks, video games, owning extra vehicles, unnecessary driving, etc. Sell your old stuff on ebay/craigslist. Get a part time job. It all adds up.

Ignore the irrelevant dogma from the HA loser crowd. It can be done if you are willing to work for it.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Will N. Dowd wrote:If you wanna cut your own hair, the 2 products I bought and now can't live without are these:

Why not just get a $20 or $30 clipper from Walgreens? That's what I did. They work fine. Clippers are good if you want to have short hair or buzz cuts. Otherwise, you might need scissors, which would make it more complicated.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: How to cut your own hair to save money to go abroad

Post by Winston »

Yohan wrote:
Winston wrote:Hi folks,
...this would help you guys save money by not having to go to a salon or barber, which are expensive in the US nowadays, so you can use that money to go abroad.
How much is a haircut in USA?

I don't think you can save much money if you cut your hair yourself every 2 months or so, it's an insignificant sum if considering otherwise expenses like rent, electric, water, car or motorcycle etc. etc.

But what about laundry?

What about washing your clothes yourself? Maybe you can save money, how are you arranging your laundry? I think this is a good question too.
It's a lot more than in other countries. Barbers now charge $20 for a haircut, and so do salons. The cheapest places are chains like Supercuts and Great Clips. They charge between $11-$13. Plus you are supposed to tip them too. Hair grows fast during the summer when it's hot too.

In the Philippines, I get a haircut for 60 pesos, which is about $1.50. That's one dollar fifty cents!

Laundromats are cheap in the US, if you don't have a washing machine.

Yeah it's not much. But you should apply frugality to all areas of life. Then your savings will add up.

Will N. Dowd
Junior Poster

Post by Will N. Dowd »

Winston wrote:
Will N. Dowd wrote:If you wanna cut your own hair, the 2 products I bought and now can't live without are these:

Why not just get a $20 or $30 clipper from Walgreens? That's what I did. They work fine. Clippers are good if you want to have short hair or buzz cuts. Otherwise, you might need scissors, which would make it more complicated.
Cheaper clippers are a hassle. I had one and returned it for the Philips.

Most cheaper clippers have a different attachment for each length, so that's 20 or 30 plastic clips for each clipper! They are also only corded, cutting your hair with a clipper plugged into the wall sucks. They also only clip hair, they won't shave you. So you need an electric razor and a hair clipper, too much stuff to carry.

The Philips QC5580 has only 2 plastic combs, you select the length you want by turning a wheel. It's also an electric razor, so you just need 1 machine to cut hair and shave, a huge advantage. It's cordless and rechargeable, another huge advantage, you are not connected to the wall when clipping. It's 100 to 240 volts too, I just wish it charged via USB. It cuts hair from 0 mm to 15mm so if you want to have more lengths, do what I did and buy this comb below, it will give you 18 to 30mm lengths also:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILIPS-QC5530- ... 27df0b374a
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

Yeah I cut my hair myself now for 40 years. In Germany it was quite expensive. Things add up. It´s about the general mindset.
MeGustanLatinas
Freshman Poster

Post by MeGustanLatinas »

I went bald early (I forget exactly, I think before 25?), so I use Andis T-Outliner Trimmer. I just cut it all off every 2-3 days.