Why are things in America more expensive now than before?!

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Winston
Site Admin

Why are things in America more expensive now than before?!

Post by Winston »

Since I've been back in America, I've noticed that things are more expensive than before and things that were free are on longer free. Here are some examples:

- Chips and salsa at Mexican places are usually free and complimentary. But now, most Mexican places don't offer that for free anymore. Wtf?

- Restaurant dinners are usually $7 on the average. But now they're like $10 on the average. Wtf?

- Gas prices are ridiculous. In Vegas it's like $3.70 a gallon at the lowest rate. (Well actually you can get lower rates with ARCO gas but that kind of gas sucks and is bad quality) It costs $40 to fill up a gas tank.

- When I was a teen in the 80's, the ticket price at Disneyland was $20. Now, I heard from one of my guests, that it's $130. Wtf? That's a HUGE increase. Wtf?!

What the f**k is going on? With all these ridiculous price increases, why do most people, even in the alternative media, not realize the insanity of living here? Why doesn't anyone else except us propose the solution of leaving the country? It's so obvious and logical, yet even the alternative/conspiracy movement doesn't see it for some reason. Everyone wants to stay in America and fight the NWO instead, which is stupid, useless, futile and a waste of time.

I heard that before 1913 when the Federal Reserve was created, that there was no inflation in America for a hundred years. Is that true? If so, why don't more people realize what's going on then?

For those who think I'm wasting my time in America, there are two benefits to me being here:

1. Being here gives me more insights and observations about America to use in my articles and essays.
2. You don't appreciate the light unless you've experienced the darkness first. The contrast makes it more glorious.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Mr. Wu please do not be stupid, Asians are the most astute people about these types of things. I think you need a caning.
Time to Hide!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

A lot of recent inflation since mid-2000's is unreported. Official inflation figures are rigged and can be ignored.

Food prices are way up. Grocery store fruit is the cost of meat sometimes. Up around 60% over 5 years, I bet.

Generally what I notice is that if a good can be traded across borders easily, like fruit, or beer, then it will rise in price right away when currency falls.

There is a lot more hidden inflation that hasn't hit yet, because lot of Fed moneyprinting has been routed through foreign banks etc, and hasnt trickled down to the spendable money supply.

My guesstimate is that food prices cold suddenly rise another 50% when all the dollars printed in QE1 and QE2 etc leak back into the actual U.S. market. I guess the PTB try to let it leak in slowly if they can. So if they manage the way they seem to want, then 10 to 15% price increase will continue for a while till a new equilibrium is reached.

I know it seems odd that the money of the super-rich would EVER trickle down. After all they're not going to increase the amount of fruit they buy are they? But they can purchase assets. Like for instance the stock that FSchmidt has been talking about, where the company buys up foreclosed houses and rents them out ("Landlord, Inc"). Or like farmland. Or water rights. Or start more security-camera companies. Or toll-lane companies. Their easy-come dollars need to be invested somehwere, in real stuff.

That's what will push up prices even further.

So in the future I guess our economy will be more like Mexico - where labor is relatively cheap, and hard assets bought wholesale (like lumber or bulk pharmaceuticals) cost as much as in the U.S.

What do some other guys here think?
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Abolish the FED?
Time to Hide!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

The price of gas today in US is probably cheaper than Taiwan. Ask your relatives what the price per liter is in TW right now.

In 1982 Disney's adult admission was $12, and after I graduated HS in 1989 the price had been increased to $25.50 for adults and $20.50 for kids. $_$ Today the admission for adults is $92, the $137 price is for admission to 2 parks (Disney + CA Adventure).

Despite the increase in ticket prices, and the opening of oversea Disneyland parks, the number of visitors to Disney Anaheim is still going up. The growth is largely driven by increase in oversea visitors (+7% in 2013).
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Inflation is perhaps worst in two of the financial outlays that betoken membership in the middle class -- college tuition and health insurance. Both have just gone through the roof. I recently priced the health insurance policy that would be available to me under the "Affordable Care Act," aka Obamacare. It would cost 120 percent of my current annual income.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

gsjackson wrote:Inflation is perhaps worst in two of the financial outlays that betoken membership in the middle class -- college tuition and health insurance. Both have just gone through the roof. I recently priced the health insurance policy that would be available to me under the "Affordable Care Act," aka Obamacare. It would cost 120 percent of my current annual income.
Added to my list of reasons "Why I'm Leaving".
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yes Momopi,
I went to Disneyland in 1989 and remembered that the price was about $25. How can it increase that much? That's insane. Who would pay $130 for Disneyland? It's like they are discriminating against the poor. There should be a boycott of Disneyland.

Btw, another "price increase":

- When I go to strip clubs, the strippers aren't happy with a $20 lap dance anymore. They want to go for the $100 five lap dance special in the VIP room now. Wtf?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Excalibur
Freshman Poster

Re: Why are things in America more expensive now than before

Post by Excalibur »

Winston wrote:Why doesn't anyone else except us propose the solution of leaving the country?
And what country would you recommend anyone moving into? Have you actually compared prices for goods and services between different countries? And not just the nominal prices - but the costs of living relative to one's income.

I have been to Ukraine recently and I can tell you that, for example, gas and restaurants are often time MORE expensive than in the US. Here a few examples:

- 1 Liter of gasoline costs around 11 Hryvna, which translates into over $5 per gallon! In Holland, it's even $8.50!
- Having a filling dinner at a good restaurant requires no less than 100 Hryvna per person, which is $12.30 - and that is without drink refills. (Oh yes, you have to pay for water separately, too, while it is complementary in most US restaurants).
- Talking about beverages: Soda is even a little more expensive than in the US, and the price for a 2-Liter pack of fresh orange juice is ca. 22 Hryvna ($2.70). In the US, I can get the same amount for $3.50.
- OK, public transportation is dirt cheap (except flights). A trip from Kiev to Simferopol by train (almost 500 miles) is only $20 in the "economy class". If you want to travel in an air-conditioned first class, you pay $100.

Yes, most products are more expensive in the US by a low amount, but have you also considered the fact that an income of $300 per month is considered a good income for an average Ukrainian in a typical city? If not, consider US to be one of the cheapest place for food and gas and stop whining!
There has been inflation in almost every country in this world - in many other countries it's even higher than in the US (and Ukraine is one of them). The countries that have had low inflation are the ones that have been outrageously expensive first place (like Switzerland or Japan).

And as far as Disneyland: It is a profit-maximizing business, and since we operate on a free market economy, the guys can charge whatever they want. That's capitalism for you.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Jester wrote:
gsjackson wrote:Inflation is perhaps worst in two of the financial outlays that betoken membership in the middle class -- college tuition and health insurance. Both have just gone through the roof. I recently priced the health insurance policy that would be available to me under the "Affordable Care Act," aka Obamacare. It would cost 120 percent of my current annual income.
Added to my list of reasons "Why I'm Leaving".
When will you be leaving and where too? I was just asking Falcon who happens to be here in Taipei about this today lol. Whats keeping Jester from being HA? He's been here for awhile but stays in USA. Just curious.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Look you guy's, I do not believe alot of people get it, if you want cheaper prices you have got to have competition. Lenin said the credit monopoly will get you 90% of the way to a total top down dictatorship.

The credit monopoly was established in the 1690's with the bank of England so they have been practicing loaning counterfeit bills at interest for over 300 years. Don't you think that is enough time to practically monopolize the whole world for the most part using unlimited money you create out of nothing?

They have erected a huge corporate veil between them and the citizens of the world with this unlimited money con, when you break down all the corporations that have captured most of the power centers of all the world wide governments you are going to find the elite own all the controlling stocks in them.

Come on, they set the system up to where they have unlimited money and have been gaming the system for over 300 years. If you saw these peoples portfolios and wealth you would not believe it.

Bill Gates would qualify for the Queens shoe shine boy if he was lucky and the rest of us truly are bugs to be squashed if they see fit. Just look at 9/11 and what has been going on since then.

You are not getting away from this thing as it is encompassing the world, even if you try to run in the boonies they still spray you with CHEM trails. :shock:

If you have any complaints blame the stupidity of daa herd, the majority rules or the lack there of!
Last edited by Moretorque on August 24th, 2013, 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Time to Hide!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Rock wrote:
Jester wrote: Added to my list of reasons "Why I'm Leaving".
When will you be leaving and where too? I was just asking Falcon who happens to be here in Taipei about this today lol. Whats keeping Jester from being HA? He's been here for awhile but stays in USA. Just curious.
(1) Soon.

(2) Mexico.

(3) Money.

Damn good questions, btw.
:!: :!: :!: :!:
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Excalibur wrote:
Winston wrote:Why doesn't anyone else except us propose the solution of leaving the country?
And what country would you recommend anyone moving into? Have you actually compared prices for goods and services between different countries? And not just the nominal prices - but the costs of living relative to one's income.

I have been to Ukraine recently and I can tell you that, for example, gas and restaurants are often time MORE expensive than in the US. Here a few examples:

- 1 Liter of gasoline costs around 11 Hryvna, which translates into over $5 per gallon! In Holland, it's even $8.50!
- Having a filling dinner at a good restaurant requires no less than 100 Hryvna per person, which is $12.30 - and that is without drink refills. (Oh yes, you have to pay for water separately, too, while it is complementary in most US restaurants).
- Talking about beverages: Soda is even a little more expensive than in the US, and the price for a 2-Liter pack of fresh orange juice is ca. 22 Hryvna ($2.70). In the US, I can get the same amount for $3.50.
- OK, public transportation is dirt cheap (except flights). A trip from Kiev to Simferopol by train (almost 500 miles) is only $20 in the "economy class". If you want to travel in an air-conditioned first class, you pay $100.

Yes, most products are more expensive in the US by a low amount, but have you also considered the fact that an income of $300 per month is considered a good income for an average Ukrainian in a typical city? If not, consider US to be one of the cheapest place for food and gas and stop whining!
There has been inflation in almost every country in this world - in many other countries it's even higher than in the US (and Ukraine is one of them). The countries that have had low inflation are the ones that have been outrageously expensive first place (like Switzerland or Japan).

And as far as Disneyland: It is a profit-maximizing business, and since we operate on a free market economy, the guys can charge whatever they want. That's capitalism for you.
First to answer Winston, no we are not. I know the PT movement is advocating this (Jeff Berwick, Doug Casey, and Simon Black). But not many others.

I am thinking Argentina, but citizenship in Uruguay. That is what I am aiming for. Then biz yet elsewhere.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

zacb wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

First to answer Winston, no we are not. I know the PT movement is advocating this (Jeff Berwick, Doug Casey, and Simon Black). But not many others.

I am thinking Argentina, but citizenship in Uruguay. That is what I am aiming for. Then biz yet elsewhere.
South America is now being subjugated to this whole debt system and taken over.
Last edited by Moretorque on August 25th, 2013, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time to Hide!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Excalibur wrote:

I don't understand your point. Some things in the Philippines are more expensive than in the US too. But the US still has a far higher cost of living than the Philippines. Try going to a hospital in the US without medical insurance and ask what the costs are. lol

In Ukraine, the exchange rate is 1 dollar = 8 grivnas, which is higher than when I was there. Before it was 1 dollar = 5 grivnas. When I was in Dnepropetrovsk, a ride on a little cruise ship cost 5 grivnas per person. That's really cheap.

The point is, there aren't just social, dating and psychological benefits to moving overseas. There are financial ones too. If you earn money in US dollars, your dollar can buy more in most other countries. Cost of living and prices in the US are out of control and unreasonable.