Some Stocks

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Some Stocks

Post by fschmidt »

I have been thinking a lot about investments recently. I had mutual funds and ignored them, but I recently sold because I don't trust the market. But then what can I trust? Not cash. I already bought silver under $20, and gold is just a gamble since it has no intrinsic value. The truth is that safe stocks can't be beat. A safe stock isn't a regular stock, it must have both real safety and real yield. So I came up with 3:

AMH - American Homes 4 Rent

I covered this in depth here:

viewtopic.php?t=18487

This stock is just like a hard asset because its entire value is backed by hard assets, houses.

GOV - Government Properties Income Trust

6.8% yield from renting to the government. This is safe, the government can always pay because it can print money. So this is like a high yield bond with decent inflation protection built in.

AAPL - Apple

Normally I would never buy a stock like this, but with a P/E of 13 on what is probably the best company in America, it's hard to refuse. With $43B in cash, this company looks very safe. Normally I would never buy a brand name stock because they always have a high P/E but the market seems to be putting this stock on sale for some reason, so I will buy.

I plan to divide my investments equally between these 3 stocks. As usual, I welcome any feedback.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Rich
Freshman Poster

Post by Rich »

I bought a very small amount of Apple stock 6 months ago. I'm attracted to low price earning ratios. I tend to just buy and hold and hang on for dear life.

Mostly I buy "income stocks" with dividend yields of 6% and over. One stock I have has a net yield of 10% ( I just hope that one doesn't go supernova). BP has been good for me - dividends have increased over the last year and the share price is increasing nicely.

I don't have a huge amount of investments by any stretch of the imagination. Just building it up slowly, reinvesting dividends and trying to keep my spending down. Eventually I hope to fund my overseas adventures through dividends.