Non-US Bank Account with Global ATM Fee Refunds?

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
rudder
Junior Poster

Non-US Bank Account with Global ATM Fee Refunds?

Post by rudder »

I've been with Schwab in the USA for the past few years, because they have no fees for essentially anything banking related except a small fee on international wires. They even go the extra mile and refund all ATM fees anywhere in the world, which I've milked extensively over the years.
What non-us international banking options can match this level of service?
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Non-US Bank Account with Global ATM Fee Refunds?

Post by MrMan »

rudder wrote:
January 10th, 2022, 1:37 pm
I've been with Schwab in the USA for the past few years, because they have no fees for essentially anything banking related except a small fee on international wires. They even go the extra mile and refund all ATM fees anywhere in the world, which I've milked extensively over the years.
Can you open a regular checking account with them?
rudder
Junior Poster

Re: Non-US Bank Account with Global ATM Fee Refunds?

Post by rudder »

MrMan wrote:
January 11th, 2022, 7:28 pm
rudder wrote:
January 10th, 2022, 1:37 pm
Can you open a regular checking account with them?
Yes. They call it the High-Yield Investor Checking Account, which will be linked with a Brokerage Account. Don't get scared about that though. There is no obligation to invest or hold a minimal balance. It's just a formality. Other than an international wire, I don't think I've ever generated a fee from doing anything. I think they do earn a small commission when you trade stocks though. Can't remember, as I haven't traded stocks in a while.

Others would say they don't like when people use the account the way I do. Andrew Henderson from Nomad Capitalist even wrote that they have been known to close people's accounts for "too many foreign transactions." Luckily I've never had any problem like that. Nothing but great customer service really. Also, they've probably payed thousands in ATM fees because of me.

A lot of people set up bank accounts in Belize. Those banks are known for being able to open an account digitally for non-resident foreigners. I guess the advantage being if you renounce US citizenship and move to a territorial tax jurisdiction, you can keep the money in your Belize account and not remit to your country of residence, which would give you an extra layer of protection from taxation.