The Age Of Making Money Is Over

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

The Age Of Making Money Is Over

Post by Taco »

Living off grid in the jungle is about to become a popular career choice.

Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

rudder
Junior Poster

Re: The Age Of Making Money Is Over

Post by rudder »

Taco wrote:
June 16th, 2023, 11:26 pm

Off-grid requires deep pockets. Those solar components are pricey. People in jungle areas have garbage customer service and components are subject to failure, and good luck getting warranties in some third world scammers paradise. Take it from someone living that exact lifestyle. It is not lucrative, and requires much more money than you think. I've noticed how many people in alternative media have this fantasy that you can just head to the hills and eat plants or something and all your problems will be solved. You will not want to or be able to produce everything yourself - you will need to interface with society. That means having an income to be able to afford things you can't grow, slaughter or manufacture. Also you're probably younger, but eventually services like health care will be a consideration (just because you choose to live like a dirty hippy doesn't mean you will live a problem free life as long as Methuselah). Also if you've never lived in a rustic setting for an extended period of time and were raised in the city or suburbs the cultural change alone will be a difficult adjustment. Food for thought.

I'm all for the idea. But you would make life so much easier for yourself if you could find this sort of lifestyle with the ability to stay connected to the grid. The off-grid aspect is unnecessary, expensive baggage. I would say counter-productive. Do research into grid-tie systems if you're interested in this sort of thing.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Taco wrote:

Just wrote a bit longer response, but then the internet connection went down and erased what I wrote. He contradicts himself at the end of the video. The whole video was him arguing that people are mostly spinning their wheels trying to create passive income and then he suggests building remote income sources and living out of the USA. The rest of the video was good. Not the usual Youtube bs. Agreed with him that society is basically heading towards neo-feudalism. That said, I still think USA will be one of the best places to set yourself up for a better future over the next few years. Possibly even two more decades. The next generation is getting shafted though.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

rudder wrote:
July 2nd, 2023, 11:43 am
Taco wrote:

Just wrote a bit longer response, but then the internet connection went down and erased what I wrote. He contradicts himself at the end of the video. The whole video was him arguing that people are mostly spinning their wheels trying to create passive income and then he suggests building remote income sources and living out of the USA. The rest of the video was good. Not the usual Youtube bs. Agreed with him that society is basically heading towards neo-feudalism. That said, I still think USA will be one of the best places to set yourself up for a better future over the next few years. Possibly even two more decades. The next generation is getting shafted though.
I agree.. the most realest passive income is investing in stocks, ETFs and possibly bitcoin to earn dividends income. However, that would require sizable money and savings... that's the only problem. I don't think the current generation has savings and they are financially irresponsible.

Selling stuff on Amazon and online shopping malls are dead. There is too much competition. Remote work.. is hard to get and that still involve asskissing to whomever at the other end of the screen. Real estate requires lot of capital, maintenance, compliance, dealing with asshole tenants, paying property taxes, and your house never belongs to you, it belongs to the town anyway.

The next generation doesn't have many options left unless he/she crawled out of the right birth canal.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
July 2nd, 2023, 12:00 pm
rudder wrote:
Taco wrote:

I agree.. the most realest passive income is investing in stocks, ETFs and possibly bitcoin to earn dividends income. However, that would require sizable money and savings... that's the only problem. I don't think the current generation has savings and they are financially irresponsible.

Selling stuff on Amazon and online shopping malls are dead. There is too much competition. Remote work.. is hard to get and that still involve asskissing to whomever at the other end of the screen. Real estate requires lot of capital, maintenance, compliance, dealing with asshole tenants, paying property taxes, and your house never belongs to you, it belongs to the town anyway.

The next generation doesn't have many options left unless he/she crawled out of the right birth canal.
next time i get regular income, I think I will make it a point to dollar cost average into the right dividend-paying stocks.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Living off the electrical grid is for those who do not need electricity or for those rich enough to buy an expensive solar system.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

what was the point of the video? What does that dude suggest doing then? If he's been recommending coding or something like that then for sure he's going to feel like everything's hopeless with AI taking over jobs.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

rudder wrote:
July 9th, 2023, 8:59 am
what was the point of the video? What does that dude suggest doing then? If he's been recommending coding or something like that then for sure he's going to feel like everything's hopeless with AI taking over jobs.
Better save your money now and be an investor or a landlord in the future. Most employees are going to be obsolete in a Tsunami of mass layoffs.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

rudder wrote:
Taco wrote:

The entire problem is people are sooooo stupid they can't figure out we could issue debt free money and re-do the entire economy as society wants and stop all the theft from the real producers, how do you think Germany did what it did with Hitler to get the system re-started ? WE ARE TALKING DUMB!!!
The entire world wide stock market is a complete counterfeiting joke and is nothing but a fake con just like BIT-CON, it's unbelievable how dumb the collective is.
Time to Hide!
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Moretorque wrote:
July 9th, 2023, 9:45 am
rudder wrote:
Taco wrote:

The entire problem is people are sooooo stupid they can't figure out we could issue debt free money and re-do the entire economy as society wants and stop all the theft from the real producers, how do you think Germany did what it did with Hitler to get the system re-started ? WE ARE TALKING DUMB!!!
The entire world wide stock market is a complete counterfeiting joke and is nothing but a fake con just like BIT-CON, it's unbelievable how dumb the collective is.
I know. The Federal Reserve is nothing but trouble, but who's going to overthrow that kind of system? You?
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

July 9th, 2023, 9:29 am
rudder wrote:
Better save your money now and be an investor or a landlord in the future. Most employees are going to be obsolete in a Tsunami of mass layoffs.
My friend was a coder for the past 6 or 7 years in bay area California. He just got laid off about two months ago. Now he's travelling the world. I suppose that's smart. You only live once, better see things before the money dries up.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

rudder wrote:
July 9th, 2023, 3:41 pm
rudder wrote:
My friend was a coder for the past 6 or 7 years in bay area California. He just got laid off about two months ago. Now he's travelling the world. I suppose that's smart. You only live once, better see things before the money dries up.
Yes, I heard Silicon Valley has laid off over 300,000 people for the past few months this year. I am sorry to hear about your friend's layoff.
I hope he got some savings and some plan to live abroad in a cheap country. Normally people from Silicon Valley's FAANG jobs get scouted by lower tier companies when they get laid off. If he is a software engineer from the Valley, he can apply for mid to lower tier companies and get accepted there. Although the salary would be half as much...as he got from the Valley. One of my college Professor worked for Google but then got laid off and end up teaching at my University. His salary was only 150k, half of 300k. It was back in 2014.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Moretorque wrote:
rudder wrote:
Taco wrote:

and stop all the theft from the real producers,
You said it. I was wondering if farmers, for example, will ever get a fair shake. I mean they grow everyone's food but have basically been forced into poverty. In a fair world I think they at least deserve an upper middle class income.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

rudder wrote:
July 9th, 2023, 3:49 pm
Moretorque wrote:
rudder wrote:
Taco wrote:

and stop all the theft from the real producers,
You said it. I was wondering if farmers, for example, will ever get a fair shake. I mean they grow everyone's food but have basically been forced into poverty. In a fair world I think they at least deserve an upper middle class income.
Yeah.. Farmers should be Millionaires because they feed every motherf*ckers in America and abroad. But too bad they are relatively "forgotten" and stripped apart by massive food companies. People think farming is so 1900's or something and they are too cool for that. So as old school jobs like Manufacturing, Mining, Ship building, and Logistics. Every idiot wants to be a Youtube influencer, Social Media influencer, and work in Finance, IT and healthcare. Well who is going to keep civilization and supply chain from falling apart?
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

July 9th, 2023, 3:47 pm
rudder wrote:
July 9th, 2023, 3:41 pm
rudder wrote:
Yes, I heard Silicon Valley has laid off over 300,000 people for the past few months this year. I am sorry to hear about your friend's layoff.
I hope he got some savings and some plan to live abroad in a cheap country. Normally people from Silicon Valley's FAANG jobs get scouted by lower tier companies when they get laid off. If he is a software engineer from the Valley, he can apply for mid to lower tier companies and get accepted there. Although the salary would be half as much...as he got from the Valley. One of my college Professor worked for Google but then got laid off and end up teaching at my University. His salary was only 150k, half of 300k. It was back in 2014.
AFAIK he wasn't an engineer. He started out just doing a coding bootcamp with guaranteed job placement, and described his job as being a "digital factory worker" so it sounds like he wasn't very high up in the food chain. I don't think he has much savings. Living in coastal California puts a big bite into whatever income one makes. He does have a nice organic 20 acre fruit and vegetable farm to fall back to that his dad has basically paid for and built up over the years. He also pays child support to his daughter's mom since they divorced a few years ago.

Honestly what you just said about that sheer quantity of layoffs really makes me doubt heading back to the USA. I've been three years out of my industry (trucking) and things haven't been that great for trucking lately either. Makes me wonder if there would really be that many opportunities. Of course, I have to try. It's not like I'm going to opt for trucking in South America or something. Maybe someday just for fun in Chile (supposedly highest-paying country in SA for truckers) but USA is still the best for trucking. Australia probably a close second, but they don't have work permit options for truck drivers, and that country is too isolated, and I would feel nervous being there after seeing how they acted post-Wuhan.