Momopi, Terrence, does 99 cent pricing still work?

Discuss issues related to business, finance, taxes, investments, cost of living in different countries, etc.
Winston
Site Admin

Momopi, Terrence, does 99 cent pricing still work?

Post by Winston »

Momopi, Terrence,

A quick question. Does $19.99 still sell better than $20? Or is that an outdated sales trick that no longer works?

For instance, if my ebook sells for $19.99 instead of $20, would that increase sales?

How effective are such cheesy sales gimmicks?

What do you think?

Thanks,
Winston
Last edited by Winston on August 20th, 2010, 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Momopi, Terrence, is $19.99 still better than $20?

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:Momopi, Terrence,
A quick question. Does $19.99 still sell better than $20? Or is that an outdated sales trick that no longer works?
For instance, if my ebook sells for $19.99 instead of $20, would that increase sales?
How effective are such cheesy sales gimmicks?
What do you think?
Thanks,
Winston

If it improves your sales by 5%, it's worth the "cost" of a penny per sale.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

So it still works then? I imagine it must, since everyone is still using that tactic in their prices.

What i don't get though, is why anyone would look at $19.99 and think it is $10 rather than $20. I certainly see $19.99 as the same as $20. So why does this silly technique work in increasing sales? Kind of dumb.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_pricing

At this point, the dollar 99 thing is more cultural than psychological. Everyone knows 99 cents is same as a dollar, but we'd still stick our heads in 99 cent stores to see what's "on sale", which is an oxymoron for a 99 cent store.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is an interesting article about why 99 cent pricing works on people.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06351/746545-28.stm

adam917
Freshman Poster

Post by adam917 »

The funny thing in the Internet age is that now the difference might mean something. I see stuff priced many different ways. I am one of the few Americans who really wishes stores got rid of the x.99-style pricing & stuck with whole numbers, especially if the sales tax system of adding to the end price will stick around. Mental maths becomes easier to calculate say an 8 % sales tax on a 50 $ item (extra 4 $ in that case) rather than a 49.99 $ (extra 3.9992 $, probably rounded up at registers but sometimes down) item.

I wouldn't mind an x.99-priced item if I were in a country where items are priced with the tax already included, as I'd still be saving something.