Prenup help you with foreign bride?

Discuss issues related to politics, government and law.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Prenup help you with foreign bride?

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

How well will a prenup help if we bring her to america? How about a prenup done in her language? Can you get a prenup if you marry her in philippines or in other countries first or does prenups only exist in america/western countries?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Prenup help you with foreign bride?

Post by Cornfed »

I am not a shyster, so I am just giving you my understanding of the situation. In most cases, a prenup can only apply to stuff you got before marrying that remains completely legally separate from you. So say you have a house. If it is fully paid for and remains completely separate, you would get to keep it after the divorce. But if she spends her income on maintaining it, or you spend income earned during your marriage on paying the mortgage (which according to the courts is her income) then it disappears into community property. Anything she does to your property, such as hanging up wallpaper in your house, washing your car etc. can potentially make it community property unless you have a specific contract excluding that. It goes without saying that a prenup has no legal standing when it comes to child custody and child support.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Cornfed wrote:I am not a shyster, so I am just giving you my understanding of the situation. In most cases, a prenup can only apply to stuff you got before marrying that remains completely legally separate from you. So say you have a house. If it is fully paid for and remains completely separate, you would get to keep it after the divorce. But if she spends her income on maintaining it, or you spend income earned during your marriage on paying the mortgage (which according to the courts is her income) then it disappears into community property. Anything she does to your property, such as hanging up wallpaper in your house, washing your car etc. can potentially make it community property unless you have a specific contract excluding that. It goes without saying that a prenup has no legal standing when it comes to child custody and child support.

I have some significant savings stored away so i can have enough to live on in the long term (cause my online income isn't that great and its hard to say how well it will do in the future) for me and my future spouse to help live on, so that would be my biggest concern of losing it from a bad marriage.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

A foreign woman might not be willing to sign a prenup anyway.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Hero wrote:A foreign woman might not be willing to sign a prenup anyway.
Then I guess that would seperate the wheat from the chaff.