Best Place to Get Married?

Discuss issues related to politics, government and law.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Best Place to Get Married?

Post by zacb »

Now everyone knows how difficult divorces can be, and how the government skews in. But here is my question: assuming for religious or other reasons a man wants to get married, where would you suggest? I was thinking of Gibraltar, because apparently they only require a birth certificate, passport, and non impediment certificate. Is there any place else that is more liberal? My main thing is government paper trail, and the divorce laws. Any thoughts?
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Re: Best Place to Get Married?

Post by Teal Lantern »

zacb wrote:Now everyone knows how difficult divorces can be, and how the government skews in. But here is my question: assuming for religious or other reasons a man wants to get married, where would you suggest? I was thinking of Gibraltar, because apparently they only require a birth certificate, passport, and non impediment certificate. Is there any place else that is more liberal? My main thing is government paper trail, and the divorce laws. Any thoughts?
Where you get married has no bearing on your rights (or lack, for males) in a divorce. Where you live at the time of divorce is what counts.

To that end, as a man, you'd start in the Muslim countries.
Then places like China, the one who paid for the house gets to keep it, and no vaginamony paid.
If the country is a former English colony, don't even bother with it.
Philippines, last I read, is the only country that has no divorce law.

If there's a specific country you're interested in, there's a good chance some westerner has already gone there and learned how their system works and you can find it on a country-specific forum.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

^^^Great info. I was under the impression that CITIZENSHIP is what counts when it comes to divorce settlements. If I'm a US Citizen living in Malaysia (Muslim Country) for 10 years and get married 2 years into my stay there....I don't lose 50+% of my belongings (land, house, or savings in the USA)?
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Teal Lantern wrote:
zacb wrote:Now everyone knows how difficult divorces can be, and how the government skews in. But here is my question: assuming for religious or other reasons a man wants to get married, where would you suggest? I was thinking of Gibraltar, because apparently they only require a birth certificate, passport, and non impediment certificate. Is there any place else that is more liberal? My main thing is government paper trail, and the divorce laws. Any thoughts?
Where you get married has no bearing on your rights (or lack, for males) in a divorce. Where you live at the time of divorce is what counts.

Then places like China, the one who paid for the house gets to keep it, and no vaginamony paid.

If there's a specific country you're interested in, there's a good chance some westerner has already gone there and learned how their system works and you can find it on a country-specific forum.
So let's say I marry someone south of the border. She can not take my US assets if the law there does not say so? I thought the country you were a citizen of and the country you married in were the issue.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

^^^People get married in exotic places all the time (think Bora Bora, Cancun, the Caribean, etc.). That makes no difference at all. You get a certificate of marriage there. In the event of divorce, your wife can take that certificate of marriage to a judge and NOW, you are as good as married in the USA. My question is if you get to keep your belongings if you have lived the majority of your life with your wife out of country.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

Let's say you meet a girl from Oaxaca, have the wedding in Rome, and settle in Odessa.

Some years go by and she gets bored with you and wants to trade you in for Ivan.
If the divorce decree (which would be under Ukrainian law) says only your assets in Ukraine are part of the marriage, then yes, your U.S. assets are safe.

In some places, it is easier for her to simply arrange for you to have an 'accident'.
Then she gets all your assets, worldwide, no fuss, no muss. :D
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Good point. Never thought of that. I am thinking Uruguay, Argentina, New Zealand, or Philippines. I was thinking of being a citizen of New Zealand or Uruguay. Any thoughts on those?
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

zacb wrote:Good point. Never thought of that. I am thinking Uruguay, Argentina, New Zealand, or Philippines. I was thinking of being a citizen of New Zealand or Uruguay. Any thoughts on those?

Uruguay -- "Switzerland of South America". It's been on my short list, before.
Popular with the "laid back" & retirement sets. :)

Argentina -- Ugh! Look at who's in charge. Inflation, currency & price controls. :twisted:
It might recover after it comes under new management.

New Zealand -- :?

Philippines -- They are relaxing property restrictions for foreigners and (mentioned before) no divorce allowed (so select your one-and-done carefully :razz: )
не поглеждай назад. 8)

zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Hmmm did not know about the Philippines doing that. The philippines would be good for getting away to, but I like Uruguay personally :D . Argentina , combined with Uruguayan citizenship would be perfect. Argentina had a low cost of living, thus could be a good place to live, just not be a citizen of. That is the idea behind the PT philosophy.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

Teal Lantern wrote:Let's say you meet a girl from Oaxaca, have the wedding in Rome, and settle in Odessa.

Some years go by and she gets bored with you and wants to trade you in for Ivan.
If the divorce decree (which would be under Ukrainian law) says only your assets in Ukraine are part of the marriage, then yes, your U.S. assets are safe.

In some places, it is easier for her to simply arrange for you to have an 'accident'.
Then she gets all your assets, worldwide, no fuss, no muss. :D

I was trying to find just ONE good reason for marriage and you just killed it.....lol. The only way for your assets to be safe from a woman is to NOT get married at all.
Rocky Top
Freshman Poster

Post by Rocky Top »

tre wrote:^^^Great info. I was under the impression that CITIZENSHIP is what counts when it comes to divorce settlements. If I'm a US Citizen living in Malaysia (Muslim Country) for 10 years and get married 2 years into my stay there....I don't lose 50+% of my belongings (land, house, or savings in the USA)?
Malaysia is also a former British colony... be careful.

I would like to learn more about Uraguay though.
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

Teal Lantern wrote:

Re Philippines: True, they don't have divorces, but they have Annulments, which amounts to the same thing as a divorce in the western world with the same ramifications. Annulments are very expensive. But if the Filipina has a rich Kano husband, she'll pursue that route and make him pay for it.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Teal Lantern wrote:
zacb wrote:Good point. Never thought of that. I am thinking Uruguay, Argentina, New Zealand, or Philippines. I was thinking of being a citizen of New Zealand or Uruguay. Any thoughts on those?

Uruguay -- "Switzerland of South America". It's been on my short list, before.
Popular with the "laid back" & retirement sets. :)

Argentina -- Ugh! Look at who's in charge. Inflation, currency & price controls. :twisted:
It might recover after it comes under new management.

New Zealand -- :?

Philippines -- They are relaxing property restrictions for foreigners and (mentioned before) no divorce allowed (so select your one-and-done carefully :razz: )
Now that I researched a bit, I am a little less thrilled about Uruguay. I thought at some point their taxes were 12% (maybe they increased them with the election of a leftist government). I am less compelled to consider them now.Paraguay seems interesting though. 10% income tax, Low cost of living, and perhaps waterfront property (have not checked into this though). Argentina would be a good place to split between. Sure Uruguay has good pot laws, but that is the only differentiation between it and Paraguay. It is close to Argentina and Brazil, as well as Bolivia,and you could probably visit Chile in a decent time. Bolivia has good tax laws as well. Brazil has no taxes on cap. gains to my knowledge.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

tre wrote:I was trying to find just ONE good reason for marriage and you just killed it.....lol. The only way for your assets to be safe from a woman is to NOT get married at all.
On another thread, we concluded that if it gave you residency in her country then it might be worth doing.
Otherwise, the benefits are mostly for her and the children.
If you're going to have kids, they do best with two parents (who get along) around.

In some places, just living with a woman is enough to create the same obligations (to you) as formally marrying her.
Mistresses can get property, too. :shock:

Each man should still get an LTR (not a wife) at least once early in his life, so that he's not one of those miserable men who reach 30+ and is ready to go on a killing spree for never having had a gf.
Just don't be one that's miserable for keeping her too long and taking unwanted trips to Preggersville. :lol:

@zacb: Yeah, the tax & other laws are always a moving target.
A place can be great, then ruin it by changing the laws on you.
Wherever many people show up with money, greedy gov will change the rules to try to capture more of it.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

I know taxes always change, but when I was looking at wikipedia, I was surprised. On the top, you had Paraguay and Guatemala. I am not sure about Guatemala though, the crime seems a tad iffy. But for the adventurous, it has a 7% income tax. As for Paraguay, it is only 10 percent. I will find my place eventually :D .