AI and Language Learning

Chat in foreign languages or discuss language-learning.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

AI and Language Learning

Post by Lucas88 »

I wonder how language learning will change in the age of AI which we see dawning right before our eyes. Here are some thoughts of mine:

ChatGPT as a language learning tool

I've only just started to dabble with ChatGPT and I can already see its potential for language learning.

First, a language learner could have text conversations about a variety of topics with the AI in his/her target language and use it to improve vocabulary, reading comprehension, style, etc. The AI is powerful. It gives precise and excellently constructed sentences with grammatical accuracy and a crisp style that sounds completely professional (unlike many human writers).

Second, you can ask the AI to explain grammatical concepts and give you example sentences together with accurate translations. You can have it bring up lists of words related to a particular theme and then learn vocabulary thematically. If you are learning a language with a difficult script, you can even ask the AI to romanize excerpts of a text for you.

Future AI conversation partners

I imagine that very soon there will be AI programs with which you can have full interactive conversations in your target language and receive feedback and corrections for mistakes. Maybe we'll have the option to select from a varied range of characters including hot AI chicks from the culture of our target language.

This will be awesome in my opinion. We'll have the ability to practice foreign languages in the spoken form without having to find some boring language partner and pretending to like them for the sake of language practice. Let's face it, 90% of people are boring and annoying and we only tolerate them because we have to interact with them for business, educational or other practical purposes. Language partners are no different. Encounters with them usually consist of a lousy competition to extract as much out of the other person while giving the minimum in return.

But with the possibility of AI language partners, I'd be able to quickly reach C1 level conversation in a variety of languages without having to deal with boring and annoying people.

I'm actually rather enthusiastic about the AI revolution!!! 8)

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Re: AI and Language Learning

Post by WilliamSmith »

Lucas88 wrote:
July 3rd, 2023, 10:39 am
I wonder how language learning will change in the age of AI which we see dawning right before our eyes. Here are some thoughts of mine:

ChatGPT as a language learning tool

I've only just started to dabble with ChatGPT and I can already see its potential for language learning.

First, a language learner could have text conversations about a variety of topics with the AI in his/her target language and use it to improve vocabulary, reading comprehension, style, etc. The AI is powerful. It gives precise and excellently constructed sentences with grammatical accuracy and a crisp style that sounds completely professional (unlike many human writers).

Second, you can ask the AI to explain grammatical concepts and give you example sentences together with accurate translations. You can have it bring up lists of words related to a particular theme and then learn vocabulary thematically. If you are learning a language with a difficult script, you can even ask the AI to romanize excerpts of a text for you.

Future AI conversation partners

I imagine that very soon there will be AI programs with which you can have full interactive conversations in your target language and receive feedback and corrections for mistakes. Maybe we'll have the option to select from a varied range of characters including hot AI chicks from the culture of our target language.

This will be awesome in my opinion. We'll have the ability to practice foreign languages in the spoken form without having to find some boring language partner and pretending to like them for the sake of language practice. Let's face it, 90% of people are boring and annoying and we only tolerate them because we have to interact with them for business, educational or other practical purposes. Language partners are no different. Encounters with them usually consist of a lousy competition to extract as much out of the other person while giving the minimum in return.

But with the possibility of AI language partners, I'd be able to quickly reach C1 level conversation in a variety of languages without having to deal with boring and annoying people.

I'm actually rather enthusiastic about the AI revolution!!! 8)
@Lucas88
Wow, this sounds f-ing amazing! Thanks for posting this. :D
I have to look into this as soon as possible now I know...

I know Asian women who would practice with me, but I moved in with a woman a while ago who strongly dislikes Asian women (as well as white women obviously, ROFLMAO), so I am curious how well this makes a good substitute for language practice with an actual person so I can keep up diligent studies in Cantonese, Vietnamese and Japanese without making any controversial calls. :lol:
I am still solid enough friends with Asian men who speak some of these, but they're busy with their careers and I'd be embarassed to ask them to practice language skills with me, and I never really wanted to hire some online tutor or something (even though that makes sense), so this is a really interesting potential alternative...

On a related tangent, I've been putting a lot of thought into how to help misc younger men (IRL I mean, not on this forum by the way) get more confident with conversational skills, and I was wondering whether AI is advancing to where a lot of fairly foundational principles of good conversational skills with women could actually be used to get men practicing on AI girlfriends / conversation partners.
I think there's a lot of potential for this and noticed there's some "AI Girlfriend" programs out there, but I didn't have time to check any of them out yet.

Anyway, I'll definitely try this ChatGPT out as soon as I can, and hope to weigh back in here before too long, and hope you will too if you've been using it............. :mrgreen:

What languages are you using it to study so far, by the way?
If you're serious about "taking the red pill," read thoroughly researched work by an unbiased "American intellectual soldier of our age" to learn what controlled media doesn't want you to see 8) : https://www.unz.com/page/american-pravda-series/
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

WilliamSmith wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 8:56 pm
I know Asian women who would practice with me, but I moved in with a woman a while ago who strongly dislikes Asian women (as well as white women obviously, ROFLMAO), so I am curious how well this makes a good substitute for language practice with an actual person so I can keep up diligent studies in Cantonese, Vietnamese and Japanese without making any controversial calls. :lol:
I am still solid enough friends with Asian men who speak some of these, but they're busy with their careers and I'd be embarassed to ask them to practice language skills with me, and I never really wanted to hire some online tutor or something (even though that makes sense), so this is a really interesting potential alternative...
It's hilarious that your new big booty Black girlfriend "strongly dislikes" Asian and White women. LMAO! Women are really competitive and territorial too and don't like other groups of women messing with their man!

On a related note, my Peruvian ex-girlfriend hates Brazilian women to this day because there was this one Brazilian girl who used to direct flirtatious comments towards me on social media and she became super jealous. 😂

I understand why you as a "Scottish heritage penny pincher" wouldn't ever want to spend money on an expensive language tutor. I feel the same way, even though I'm not of Scottish ancestry. I have Irish blood on my mother's side though, which I suppose predisposes me to crazy behavior and fighting! 🤣🤣🤣
WilliamSmith wrote:
On a related tangent, I've been putting a lot of thought into how to help misc younger men (IRL I mean, not on this forum by the way) get more confident with conversational skills, and I was wondering whether AI is advancing to where a lot of fairly foundational principles of good conversational skills with women could actually be used to get men practicing on AI girlfriends / conversation partners.
I think there's a lot of potential for this and noticed there's some "AI Girlfriend" programs out there, but I didn't have time to check any of them out yet.
That sounds like a brilliant idea and I sure hope that you try out those AI girlfriend programs and give us some feedback from the perspective of a seasoned and expert womanizer. Maybe there is still hope for some of these incels in the age of AI and in the midst of ultra-realistic sex robots and such. I'm wholly in favor of the AI revolution being used for positive purposes (i.e., to enhance human life) rather than the usual dystopian doom and gloom which the media are talking about and which the global elite of a certain ethno-religious persuasion most likely have in store for us.
WilliamSmith wrote:
Anyway, I'll definitely try this ChatGPT out as soon as I can, and hope to weigh back in here before too long, and hope you will too if you've been using it............. :mrgreen:

What languages are you using it to study so far, by the way?
I've been using ChatGPT for a lot of interesting research and have been testing its boundaries. I might even make a post about my experience with this new AI program.

Relevant to this topic, I read an article the other day about the development of certain chatbots designed specifically for the purpose of language learning. I'll link some articles later.

I'm not studying any languages in particular right now. I was mostly just messing about getting the AI to translate texts for me and transliterate certain foreign scripts (e.g., Devanagari, Perso-Arabic, etc.).
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

@WilliamSmith

Here's an example of a GPT-based app designed specifically for learning and practicing foreign languages:

https://talkpal.ai/

You can engage in both written and spoken conversations with the AI about any topic in your target language and receive continuous feedback. The app gives you more than 40 languages to choose from.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Iv8OyJ9f-uA[/youtube]

However, I think that AI-assisted language learning will be truly great when you have life-like AI characters on your computer screen including hot chick models who have natural conversations with you in your target language and even give you feedback and correct your mistakes!

At that point, tedious exchanges with boring and annoying human language partners will become completely obsolete and language practice will actually become fun and enjoyable! 😀🥰

Man, I'm loving the AI revolution so far. The less I have to deal with less-than-ideal people in my everyday life the better! 👍
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

I use chatgpt to improve my Spanish. I can ask it detailed questions about words and grammar that would take me a long time searching in grammar books, and it gives me an instant well-organized answer.
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

MrPeabody wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 1:38 pm
I use chatgpt to improve my Spanish. I can ask it detailed questions about words and grammar that would take me a long time searching in grammar books, and it gives me an instant well-organized answer.
@MrPeabody
Thank you both, this is great to know. I'm going to try out the link @Lucas88 posted as soon as I can.
If you're serious about "taking the red pill," read thoroughly researched work by an unbiased "American intellectual soldier of our age" to learn what controlled media doesn't want you to see 8) : https://www.unz.com/page/american-pravda-series/
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

Lucas88 wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 11:31 am
@WilliamSmith

Here's an example of a GPT-based app designed specifically for learning and practicing foreign languages:

https://talkpal.ai/

You can engage in both written and spoken conversations with the AI about any topic in your target language and receive continuous feedback. The app gives you more than 40 languages to choose from.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Iv8OyJ9f-uA[/youtube]

However, I think that AI-assisted language learning will be truly great when you have life-like AI characters on your computer screen including hot chick models who have natural conversations with you in your target language and even give you feedback and correct your mistakes!

At that point, tedious exchanges with boring and annoying human language partners will become completely obsolete and language practice will actually become fun and enjoyable! 😀🥰

Man, I'm loving the AI revolution so far. The less I have to deal with less-than-ideal people in my everyday life the better! 👍
@Lucas88
Thanks, that's f-ing amazing. I'll try it hopefully tomorrow (maybe even tonight if I have time).
Of course, as I sort of expected, they have "Chinese" but it's going to be Mandarin instead of Cantonese, but NBD because I love that one enough to set up special calls with friends.
Meanwhile this app has both Vietnamese (YES!) and Japanese, and a whole bunch of others.
I have one of those little handheld battery operated translators which is pretty neat, but this looks way better.
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

Lucas88 wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 5:49 am
It's hilarious that your new big booty Black girlfriend "strongly dislikes" Asian and White women. LMAO! Women are really competitive and territorial too and don't like other groups of women messing with their man!

On a related note, my Peruvian ex-girlfriend hates Brazilian women to this day because there was this one Brazilian girl who used to direct flirtatious comments towards me on social media and she became super jealous. 😂

I understand why you as a "Scottish heritage penny pincher" wouldn't ever want to spend money on an expensive language tutor. I feel the same way, even though I'm not of Scottish ancestry. I have Irish blood on my mother's side though, which I suppose predisposes me to crazy behavior and fighting! 🤣🤣🤣
@Lucas88
LOL, that's also hilarious about the Brazilian women going permanently on your Peruvian GF's blacklist because of one Brazillian girl flirting with you, :lol: .

Hey... wait a minute though....... how'd you know my girlfriend had a big ass?! 🤔
How could you POSSIBLY have guessed that?!?! :o
Hey, I see what's going on here: You sly "covert agents" trying to "subvert the right" by posting on this forum have me under 24 hour live surveillance, don'tcha?!?
Hah! HappyGuy was right about you "fed larpers!"

Back to the subject of chick drama arising through social media, I let myself out of a lot of that since I am notorious with all my friends for ardently refusing to use social media: No Faceberg, no Instagram (taken over by the same mutant askhenazim jew rat Mark Zuckerberg), never did Myspace back many years ago when it became a thing, no Tiktok, and whatever that WhatsApp thing is I don't use that either. :mrgreen:
I do have my antisemitic Twitter account I made recently (after my old one got suspended due to several repeated outbursts of "abuse and harassment" of Jordan B Peterson, who I called a variety of names and accused of "crawling to his jew paymasters, LOL)--- but that Twitter account has no connection to my own friends of acquaintances using that, so no chick drama comes through that either. ;)

But boy do women tend to make a lot of drama through social media, LOL. Usually the younger the women the more high-drama spats they're engaging in with other women on social media from what I've seen (though I've also seen older women sticking it to each other with passive aggressive digs on Faceberg).

Re: Irish blood:
I wonder if I also have Irish blood since I'm so emotional. Wouldn't surprise me at all!
I talk massive !@#$ about Italians and Irish since two of my best friends are Italian and Irish and into their ethnic pride (so of course being obnoxious American meat-heads we have to talk @!#$ about each other's ethnicities).
I am certain I have Anglo and Germanic blood as well as Scottish, but not sure Irish. Mel Gibson (Scottish heritage as well even if an Australian national) is so drunk and emo without being Irish I might not be either...
I'd get one of those DNA tests just for fun, but from what I read most of them are run by a bunch of lying jews and I don't want them harvesting my DNA samples to make bioweapons (which they do, FYI).
Sorry I went off topic here fellas. 😉
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

WilliamSmith wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 2:59 pm
@Lucas88
Thanks, that's f-ing amazing. I'll try it hopefully tomorrow (maybe even tonight if I have time).
Of course, as I sort of expected, they have "Chinese" but it's going to be Mandarin instead of Cantonese, but NBD because I love that one enough to set up special calls with friends.
Meanwhile this app has both Vietnamese (YES!) and Japanese, and a whole bunch of others.
I have one of those little handheld battery operated translators which is pretty neat, but this looks way better.
Hey William, as good as it may seem, I wouldn't rush into subscribing to that particular app right away though. After the free trial, subscription costs $4.99 a month (although they do offer a discount for yearly subscription) and the app doesn't even include your beloved Cantonese.

I'm sure that it's not the only product of its kind. If you search a little more, maybe you'll find a similar GPT-based language learning app with the option to learn and practice Cantonese. Maybe soon even free apps of that kind will become available.

Please note that the talkpal app is the only one I've checked out. We both have to research the market much more thoroughly before we can say which AI programs are the best. 👍
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
August 15th, 2023, 10:31 am
Is this the future of gaming? I saw some awesome looking ideas where AI is now playing the part of NPC characters that the player can interact with. I want to share some clips and then ask some questions.

At the moment they are just mods. But I think AI controlled NPCs the player can interact with freely will be the future of gaming.

Here are some GTA V clips.

Here is a clip from Skyrim where the player has an AI controlled NPC companion who responds to everything they say.

Here is a recent post which @Pixel--Dude posted in the thread on gaming releases. I decided to quote it here because it is relevant to what I want to say.

I watched the first two videos and found the new reality of AI-controlled NPCs capable of holding natural voice conversations with the player quite amazing. Pixel--Dude, we won't have to wait 10 years or longer; the world of AI is advancing at such a rapid rate that we'll be seeing massive improvements on what we see in those videos in a matter of just a few years.

Anyway, imagine the same concept - a fictional city with AI smart NPCs - but all of those NPCs are programmed to have realistic conversations with you in a number of foreign languages while giving you feedback and correcting your errors. It will be the best way to learn foreign languages and the best part about it is that you wouldn't ever need to hire expensive language tutors, meet up with boring language partners, or pretend to be friends with native speakers just to practice your target language. In fact, you could theoretically become a polyglot in just a few years without ever even setting foot in another country.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Lucas88 wrote:
August 15th, 2023, 2:46 pm
I watched the first two videos and found the new reality of AI-controlled NPCs capable of holding natural voice conversations with the player quite amazing. Pixel--Dude, we won't have to wait 10 years or longer; the world of AI is advancing at such a rapid rate that we'll be seeing massive improvements on what we see in those videos in a matter of just a few years.
That's true. Compared to the level of NPC AI we had as children the acceleration of technological advancements in AI has been astounding. f***ing hell dude, just think when we were kids there wasn't even such thing as the Internet and mobile phones only became widespread when we were teenagers. Look at how technology has advanced since then.

So you're probably right. In 10 years time AI technology will reach levels we never even thought possible. This will make gaming a much richer and immersive experience. But as I said to @Natural_Born_Cynic in the thread on gaming this comes with risks to people's social skills with other, real life people (even if some of those real life people are NPCs anyway :lol: )
Anyway, imagine the same concept - a fictional city with AI smart NPCs - but all of those NPCs are programmed to have realistic conversations with you in a number of foreign languages while giving you feedback and correcting your errors. It will be the best way to learn foreign languages and the best part about it is that you wouldn't ever need to hire expensive language tutors, meet up with boring language partners, or pretend to be friends with native speakers just to practice your target language. In fact, you could theoretically become a polyglot in just a few years without ever even setting foot in another country.
I think this is genius. Such an AI would definitely come in handy for such a thing. In an ideal world AI would do stuff like this and there wouldn't be need for expensive language tutors or other workers. In a perfect world people should be expected to do the bare minimum to get by while enjoying all the benefits of a technologically advanced society.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.