How is the air quality in China?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

How is the air quality in China?

Post by chanta76 »

I know a guy that knows a guy that worked in China. He said that the air is so bad that he had to quit his job. So how bad is it?
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Re: How is the air quality in China?

Post by El_Caudillo »

I was visiting an international school in Shanghai in 2014 and there was a screen showing the pollution level in the reception area. A boy of about six wandered in took one look at the screen and mumbled that the level was over the limit and that the kids wouldn't be able to play outside that day i.e. his soccer game was cancelled because of dangerous air pollution levels. Heartbreaking to see his disappointment!

That was Shanghai, Beijing and Tianjin were way worse. When the wind comes through you actually get blue skies, but at other times you can't see more than about fifty metres down the road.
Even Billy knows that, just ask Mr S!
alexh
Freshman Poster

Post by alexh »

It really depends on region. The few times I visited I found Beijing near unlivable. Some other areas are actually ok; however they were 2nd tier cities.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

-----

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 24th, 2016, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Wow that sounds bad.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Don't go up north. Beijing, Shanghai and other Northern and Middle areas of the country have horrible air pollution. I suggest going south to Guangdong province, i.e. Shenzhen, Dongguan and Foshan for better air quality. Zhuhai has good air too, plus it's a really scenic place, right next to Macau.

You can also go wayyyyyyyy...up north, especially to Tsingtao (where the beer is made and near Russia) for nice, clean air.

The best place for air quality in China? Hainan Island. If you could find work in Sanya or other parts of Hainan, count yourself as lucky. It's a beach resort area, but there is a need for teachers even there.

Also, I heard Yunnan (the area right above Vietnam and the southern most part of China) is quite beautiful and clean, too.
livefreeordie
Freshman Poster

Post by livefreeordie »

I always wear a p2 mask when i travel to smog filled cities like manila

always protect your lungs dont worry about what others think, but i think in china no one will even bat an eyelid.

you can always get really good air filters for indoors nowadays, and fill your apartment with indoor plants they make a big difference too
Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

In the winters it gets bad. It's summer, now. In winter it's so bad you can't even breathe, I hear. I'm not looking forward to it/that...

It's bad now, it's summer.
Misery and happiness are only states of mind.
nomadphilippines
Freshman Poster

Post by nomadphilippines »

probably the worst in the world
avid follower of site about travel and girls https://guysnightlife.com
Citizen
Freshman Poster

Post by Citizen »

I was in Shenzhen last year for a few days. Air quality was good. Unless you have allergies, a weak immune system or are sick air quality should not be a problem. Manila and Bangkok both had much worse air quality. It gets so hot and muggy in those places. Seems like you are just breathing car exhaust.

When I lived in South Korea the air would get bad sometimes. Kids told me it was the "red wind" from China. They got their colors mixed up. HwangSa; Yellow Dust. Northern China's soil blowing away.