Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Unmentioned Dangers in the Philippines

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Re: Unmentioned Dangers in the Philippines

Postby Zambales » October 11th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Man With a Plan wrote:How does the Philippines have that many islands? I look on a map and see a handful at most. Anyway, I second Zambales (who is on his way to being another HA rarity--a sensible poster). If PI has THAT MANY ISLANDS, ya'll have no excuse for gluing your asses to Manilla and Cebu.

Like Yohan stated, the majority are tiny islands - mostly uninhabited. I think only Canada, Indonesia and maybe Finland, has more islands than the Philippines.
Zambales
Junior Poster

Check out our Dating Sites and HA International Romance Tours!

Re: Unmentioned Dangers in the Philippines

Postby MrMan » October 12th, 2017, 3:33 am

A lot of this advice is good for travel to any country. It is not wise to go to a country and start criticizing the government. A lot of countries that allow free speech aren't as open to the idea of direct criticism as Americans are. I got the sense that asking South Koreans questions about the Korean government could be taken almost like asking questions about their mother. They may not want to discuss her flaws. It is good to be sensitive about this sort of thing.

Is it so shocking that if you yell at people in public, you could get in trouble? If you took it to the extreme in the US, you could get arrested for disturbing the peace. It is not normal to yell at a waiter for getting an order wrong. It's okay to yell if someone is about to get hit by a bus or something like that. If they throw loud expats who yell like that in jail, us other expats can enjoy our meal in peace. Not that I've seen expats yelling at staff in my travels, but I don't tend to hang around drunken or unstable expats.
MrMan
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand