Ex-Pats Should Avoid South Korea

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

AmericanInMexico wrote:chanta76, I wholeheartedly agree with you, which is why I refused to immigrate to an Asian country and partially why I refuse to date Asian women. I as a white man have no business going into non-white societies and demanding that they treat me special just because I'm white.
How is living in Mexico any different though? :lol: Mexicans are by their very nature intermixed with natives and other "non-white" bloodlines. Are you certain that your supposedly white Mexican wife isn't racially mixed? Did you do a complete search of her genetic history to make sure there wasn't a piece of coal somewhere in the wood pile?

Do you see how silly this game is?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

chanta76 wrote:ladislav,

I have to disagree with you. Some of the white expats who go to Asia are racist. Very racist. Not in a skin head racist or KKK racist but more like condescending racist. Racist in the way of white imperialistic racism. In other words they look down on the people and think going over there life be easier because being a white person supposedly gives you advantages and that the Asian folks worship white people.

It's like why do some expats males go to the Philippines. They go their thinking that the girls are easier to deal with and pick up. They think that being white males gives them automatic advantages. People don't want to face that. Let's admit it. If Philippines girls were as tough as American girls ..would western men go there ? No. It's the perception rather if it is true or not.

It's the same with other Asian countries. Just read this forum threads on Asia. You have guys posting thread like are " Are Chinese women submissive or dominate ". It's like big stereotype that westerns have. Granted we all do this to some degree and behind every stereotype there is an element of truth.

To white people once they feel like a minority and experience some of the racism that I experience in my daily life...it's like a fish out of water to them. They react...what Asian people don't look up to white people ? I'm a white guy. I should have access to everything in Asia because I am white...damn these Asian people are racist.

I seen soooooo many expats exhibit these qualities. You have to understand . To white people they are the dominate group in the west and when they go to Asia. They are a minority in Asia as a race but want to be treated like a dominate group and have access to everything. What they don't realize is that in the west ..people of color experience racism and do not have access to everything. White people sometimes lack empathy to people of color in the west. To many white people. The understanding is being white by default makes them better or superior.

From the expat I seen in Asia. Many of them are racist. They look at Asian people as not equal individual person but more like this other group of people that they bunch into. It's kind of like way back in the 1960's a white hippie will go to black neighborhood and eat at a black diner and tell black people that hey I'm not a racist . I eat with you and maybe even f**k your black women but after it's all over this white hippie will go back to his white neighborhood and still have his white privilege. And if black people shows some resentment to this white hippie . This white hippie will be like what's wrong with you people I am not a racist you HAVE TO LIKE ME. Without taking into consideration the racist history that white people did to black people .

Don't you see. White people in Asia feel that it's an obligation that native local Asian people HAVE TO LIKE WHITE PEOPLE. Why? Because I'm white it has to be this way.

Asian people don't have to do anything for white people. that's when white people complain in Asia. ladislav no offense ...I been to Thailand. As a white man ..it's not bad in Thailand.....I don't know why you keep complaining. There places for a white men to get easy p4p play and possible get a local decent girl friend. I been to the airports in Thailand and because I am Asian looking they thought I was Thai and was treated lower compared to this white guy that I was waiting in line with but once they saw my pass port that I was a US citizen they treated me a little bit better.

Imagine a Thai man in any Western country. He wouldn't have the same access as a white men would in Thailand. Does it make it fair? No. That's life. These expat white men complaining about living in Asia are really complaining about not being in CONTROL AND HAVING EVERYTHING THEIR WAY.

In other words they are disappointed that being white didn't give them that golden cup that they thought they will find in Asia. I call that f***ing justice.
Wow, you really nailed that one. I've been based in the region for a long time and have traveled extensively all over, both for work and pleasure. Wherever I go, I see so many of these white assholes, guys and even girls who are openly condescending in all manner of attitude and behavior towards locals. I used to work for an Italian company in Taiwan, and of the 20+ central Italians who stayed for extended periods at the local office, over 90% had extreme attitudes about Taiwanese and Koreans (we had office in Seoul too). They pretty much viewed them as third worlders. In contrast, they treated me almost as if I was one of them. When I was in Hong Kong, I saw all kinds of Brit expats who still considered local Chinese (HKers and mainlanders) as totally beneath them, part of the white collar working or grunt class, there to serve white expats. So many whites throughout Asia complain, complain, complain in a way which implies that local cultures and people are inferior to those in their home countries.

There are some cool foreigners around Asia. But unfortunately, I believe the bad apples are an even bigger group. I think Dave Berry succinctly expressed the general attitude of many westerners in Asia when he made the following quip about Americans abroad:

"Americans who travel abroad for the first time are often shocked to discover that, despite all the progress that has been made in the last 30 years, many foreign people still speak in foreign languages."
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Rock wrote: I used to work for an Italian company in Taiwan, and of the 20+ central Italians who stayed for extended periods at the local office, over 90% had extreme attitudes about Taiwanese and Koreans (we had office in Seoul too). They pretty much viewed them as third worlders.
Which is a bit ironic considering the history of Italy. Italy was dirt poor prior to the 70's and was largely considered a poor nation for a couple decades following WW 2. Also, Latin European nations are sitting on an enormous debt time bomb just waiting to explode. It's likely most Italians won't have a pot to piss in in the upcoming decades.

The Italian friend of mine I knew in Thailand was not like this though and was a nice guy who spoke Thai fluently and was good friends with locals. I think like attracts like. If you happen to be around assholes they will naturally also be friends with similar assholes, so on and so forth. A group like this generally alienates everyone and I don't see how they can conduct business professionally with Taiwanese people. If I were a TW businessman and I caught wind of this attitude I would think twice about dealing with them or take them to the cleaners.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Repatriate wrote:
Rock wrote: I used to work for an Italian company in Taiwan, and of the 20+ central Italians who stayed for extended periods at the local office, over 90% had extreme attitudes about Taiwanese and Koreans (we had office in Seoul too). They pretty much viewed them as third worlders.
Which is a bit ironic considering the history of Italy. Italy was dirt poor prior to the 70's and was largely considered a poor nation for a couple decades following WW 2. Also, Latin European nations are sitting on an enormous debt time bomb just waiting to explode. It's likely most Italians won't have a pot to piss in in the upcoming decades.

The Italian friend of mine I knew in Thailand was not like this though and was a nice guy who spoke Thai fluently and was good friends with locals. I think like attracts like. If you happen to be around assholes they will naturally also be friends with similar assholes, so on and so forth. A group like this generally alienates everyone and I don't see how they can conduct business professionally with Taiwanese people. If I were a TW businessman and I caught wind of this attitude I would think twice about dealing with them or take them to the cleaners.
Most of the day to day face people who dealt with local clients in Taiwan were other Taiwanese. Generally, these customers just dealt with them pragmatically buying things which were not available from local suppliers but squeezing hard on prices and payments terms.

The firm was family owned and based in a provincial areas of Italy about a 70 miles from Firenze (Florence), very close to Vinci. So the 25 or so locals who visited were mostly small towners from this area with a few technicians from Sassuolo. To be fair, some of them also seemed to look down on the southern part of their own country. In fact, some of them had never been further south than Rome.

Yes, southern Europe may soon become the new Latin America. And I certainly didn't appreciate the attitudes those guys often expressed towards Asia. But, I can still understand the pride they had in their country and region. Its really quite beautiful countryside, especially in the summer. Probably more so than the region where Think Different is. And pretty much unspoiled by global biz chains. Kind of like going back centuries with a few modern conveniences thrown in, very refreshing.
AmericanInMexico
Freshman Poster

Post by AmericanInMexico »

Repatriate wrote:
AmericanInMexico wrote:chanta76, I wholeheartedly agree with you, which is why I refused to immigrate to an Asian country and partially why I refuse to date Asian women. I as a white man have no business going into non-white societies and demanding that they treat me special just because I'm white.
How is living in Mexico any different though? :lol: Mexicans are by their very nature intermixed with natives and other "non-white" bloodlines. Are you certain that your supposedly white Mexican wife isn't racially mixed? Did you do a complete search of her genetic history to make sure there wasn't a piece of coal somewhere in the wood pile?

Do you see how silly this game is?
Yes, I do live in a society that is only 15% white. The way the 85% non-white portion of the population treats me though totally bothers me.

It isn't that they treat me like trash. Rather, it's that they treat me better than their own kind.

I found it highly disturbing that a mestizo would treat me as a white person better than they would treat a fellow mestizo. They are very open in Mexico when it comes to racial comments and have even told me things like "you're white, we know you won't steal". Some mestizo Mexicans were speaking bad about the indigenous people not knowing Spanish. I replied that when I first came to Mexico, I didn't know Spanish, but their reply was "yes, but your language is English, which is a civilized language."

Do these non-whites in Mexico not have any pride in their own kind? Why do they not put their own kind first?

As for my fiancee, I know she is 100% white because she can trace her family history all the way back to Spain and France. There is no cinnamon at all in her vanilla (and her nickname which all her friends call her is "Vainilla", which means vanilla in Spanish, because she is so white.)

Even if we couldn't trace her ancestry back all the way, the fact that she looks white, acts white, and claims to be white is good enough for me. I don't have time to be looking through every potential partner's genealogy just to try to find a non-white ancestor.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

http://msleetobe.wordpress.com/about/

Comments section and assorted postings (click on Tags to the right) are interesting.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

AmericanInMexico wrote:

Even if we couldn't trace her ancestry back all the way, the fact that she looks white, acts white, and claims to be white is good enough for me. I don't have time to be looking through every potential partner's genealogy just to try to find a non-white ancestor.
So you're only concerned with race based on outward appearances. What about very white looking people with one black parent? Someone like Mariah Carey could pass as Spanish or Italian in some social circles if we knew nothing of her past. I have seen a lot of half black men and women who could easily pass as white or a tanned Mediterranean.

If you have no true ideological foundation for your racism aside from base appearances then what's the purpose of it?

Also, why are you living in Mexico which is considered a non-white country? If you had a consistent view of the superiority of whites shouldn't you be surrounding yourself with as many white people as possible in order to build a white nation of your own particular views?
AmericanInMexico
Freshman Poster

Post by AmericanInMexico »

Repatriate wrote:
AmericanInMexico wrote:

So you're only concerned with race based on outward appearances. What about very white looking people with one black parent? Someone like Mariah Carey could pass as Spanish or Italian in some social circles if we knew nothing of her past. I have seen a lot of half black men and women who could easily pass as white or a tanned Mediterranean.

If you have no true ideological foundation for your racism aside from base appearances then what's the purpose of it?

Also, why are you living in Mexico which is considered a non-white country? If you had a consistent view of the superiority of whites shouldn't you be surrounding yourself with as many white people as possible in order to build a white nation of your own particular views?
Repatriate, wanting to marry a woman of your own race does not make you a "racist". I had respect for you until you used the r-word. Now you blew it.

I do not view whites as superior to any other race, and even if I did, I live in a city that's 70% white, whiter than almost all major cities in the United States, a country that actually IS considered a white country. Mexican whites tend to be less likely to marry outside the race than American whites do; most of the whites in Mexico that I know date and marry fellow whites and will not date a "moreno" (brown person; i.e. the stereotypical brown mestizo Mexican that people think all Mexicans are.) Even if my city was only 1% white, however, I would date within that 1% white population.

As for Mariah Carey, perhaps I should rephrase it as someone who looks white, acts white, claims to be white AND has BOTH PARENTS who look white, act white, and claim to be white. Of course that probably won't be enough for you since you are a nagger.

And now I will beat it into your head that I am not a white supremacist.
I am not a white supremacist.
I am not a white supremacist.

Say the words "white supremacist" or any variation of those words again and I will outright ignore you forever. People like you deserve nothing less.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

What you're saying here are things that have been pointed out countless times before. A few things that you need to keep in mind is the bigger picture and perspective. We're only 60 odd years removed from the colonial past. WW 1 was the big turning point but WW 2 was the final nail in the coffin for old school imperialism. What we're seeing now is post-colonialism and all its racial and social implications. My father remembers the time when he was told to use the black fountain in the south. That was in the early 60's in the U.S. Think about this for a minute 40 years ago a black man or in my father's case an asian man could not even use the same fountain as a white man. These attitudes and the racial power structure in anglo societies won't go away overnight. Naturally society will lean towards the dominant class of people. There's two sides to the issue as well, it's not so much white people in asia acting and feeling self entitled but asian people in general possessing a colonial mentality as well which allow this to become reality. These mentalities and complexes will not fade in our lifetime.
Yes, precisely. And in case of the Asian colonial powers such as Japan for one, or Thailand ( sort of )- who sees itself as a master of Laos and Cambodia, many also look down on other people in the region and treat them haughtily. And much less politely than any European ever would. Often with no political correctness in speech and by using nasty epithets when they describe the people there. Try listening to the way a Thai talks about Cambodians and see how they treat the Burmese- as subhumans.

And one also needs to keep in mind that while in the US people are conveniently divided into these unnaturally broad "nationalities" such as the whites, the blacks, the Asians, etc., these arbitrary groupings stop at the Anglo borders and others kick in. Sometimes just as vicious. A Japanese person does not wake up in the morning and start muttering to himself- I am Asian, I am Asian. The Japanese just think of themselves as Japanese, not as Asians. Most would not be caught dead making close friends with Koreans or Filipinos, etc and do not put themselves into the same category with them. Except for breeding purposes for older farmers in the outlying regions. So, the colonialist, dominating groups still view those who are below them with scorn. In case of the Asian countries which were colonized by the Brits, the French, etc., yes, I must say you are right, the British visitors or French visitors still act like the own the place. And the locals just lap it up. Malays always want to go on holidays to London, for one. Filipinos love wearing T-shirts with letters USA on them and brag that they have been to the US. In most Asian countries people are amazed if a white person speaks their language because only one in a hundred thousand does and the Asians accept it as a given.

Then you have the modern wage slavery- foreign workers. I have read posts about what many Taiwanese think of Filipinos- it will make your ears fall off.

Now, in Europe, many Germans and Austrians still think of the countries around them as their former colonial slaves. And the Czechs still despise the Slovaks as country bumpkins and cheap workforce. And the Poles think that Ukrainians are their servants and that it is their place in the social order. One Russian lady I spoke with, who is a doctor by the way, came back from the UK and said- "they treated me like sh1t while they were so nice to Indians and treating them like natives". And it seems to be the case in the UK nowadays. People try to be nice to Arabs and Pakistanis and blacks but they look down and sometimes even savagely beat up Poles, Slovaks, Serbians and Russians. And it is not seen as a race crime.

And the white- asian-black division of the US does not apply in most of Europe. A Hungarian does not think himself white, but just Hungarian.

Then you have class snobbery. Rich Asian students in the US act like they own the place, too. The same complaints about them were made in Oz and Nz. I have taught Asian students at language schools in the US and many act uppity and insult teachers. Many treated me like a servant with no respect at all. They thought because they were paying for classes they could behave any way they wanted. Koreans most notably were the rudest. And if you refuse to kowtow to them, they lodge a complaint against you and get you fired. You have no chance! And try working for a Korean boss in the US. Shudder!

An American guy who had taught in China would go to Chinese restaurants in the US and would overhear what the Chinese cooks were saying- "give the pig the soup", things like that. What kind of sh1t is that? What did he do? He was a teacher, studied Chinese assidiously, was respectful and all. And a classical anecdote sums it up -a Korean student in the US whose aunt ran a Korean restaurant in LA somewhere, came to class and said- "yesterday, some foreigners came to our restaurant". "What foreigners?" "AMERICANS!", was his answer. That is classic! They are in America, Canada, Oz, and the local white people are...foreigners! This is worse than being condescending. That is monstrously insulting.

One Japanese was in Guam and he was bragging to me how he was telling white people there "Yankee go home!" The nerve!

So, the behavior of Asian people in the West also leaves a lot to be desired. Some Koreans come to LA and then buy property and try and get rid of all the non Korean tenants. And the rudeness of some Korean store owners was one of the main causes why blacks attacked Korea Town two decades ago. Screaming at white people and black people: " Get out!" Seems like there is no " please", "excuse me" in their vocabulary at all. Many look sulky and sullen and talk rude.

I used to go to an Asian restaurant in Alhambra Ca and they were giving me funny looks, looking down their noses at me, giving me curled up lips and all. WTF?

Mind you not all do that, some are really nice, but again, many white people in Asia are also nice, you can't deny that.

So, welcome to the hierarchy. Race, class, money, power. The whites looking down on the Asians and behaving like a colonial overlord or the I-was-here-before-you-when-you-people-came-here to-build-railroads variety US racism is just a tip of the iceberg and only a small part of the way people on this planet look down on each other.

At least in the Anglo countries they have some laws to protect you, and you can sue, and they have political correctness, but in most Asian countries they don't and they don't teach people that it is not OK to stick fingers at people and mutter- the devil, the monkey and things like that. There, parents will be the first ones to point to the child a foreign person and say- Look son, there comes a foreign devil ( or put some other name there).
If a few guys want to take advantage of this congrats, they won the racial lottery.
Some do, but also, many are now burdened with colonial guilt and try to be nice and polite. The Japanese for the large part are not feeling guilty and still call people by bad names and think they are inferior.
I would relax though if I were you, Chanta. It's obvious by your posts you've been in the U.S. way too long and it's polluted your mind with race and has placed a permanent chip on your shoulder. It'd do you a lot of good to get away for awhile and live elsewhere where you can truly be yourself rather than play into these racial power games with others.
Yes, exactly. When you lose sight of the full picture and only see some aspects of it and think of it as full, you are not seeing the world correctly. Your mind wants to simplify things so that you have a clear picture of neat categories- the good guys vs the villains, the victims vs. the arrogant oppressors. Ah, it's not that simple!
Asian people don't have to do anything for white people. that's when white people complain in Asia. ladislav no offense ...I been to Thailand. As a white man ..it's not bad in Thailand.....I don't know why you keep complaining. There places for a white men to get easy p4p play and possible get a local decent girl friend. I been to the airports in Thailand and because I am Asian looking they thought I was Thai and was treated lower compared to this white guy that I was waiting in line with but once they saw my pass port that I was a US citizen they treated me a little bit better.
There are some Thais that sometimes behave that way and also Russians act that way when welcoming who they perceive to be rich guests and they do not want who they see as average locals to be around. I was in Russia with a bunch of Japanese in 1991. The Russians were treating them like kings but they would give me sideways looks and would scrunch up their faces when they saw me walk into a hotel with them. "What are you doing here?" "I am with this group", I would say. Once they would not let me go back upstairs to my group of students saying" That is only for the Japanese". I told them I was their teacher, damn it! Eventually they let me in but with obvious reservations and funny looks.

But that was about receiving guests. Should the Japanese decide to stay, they would see Russia differently. I also saw Thailand as a resident not as a guest. And it was different indeed.
I've never seen this type of treatment. Thai immigration are about the last people on earth to favor whites, heh. Believe me it pays to be mistaken as Thai-american. I have seen and been privy to the girls Thai guys get and the girls most foreign expats get. I would rather be in the Thai dating pool any day of the week. I don't know how it is in Korea but Thai-Americans in Thailand tend to get the very top pick of the litter.
The exceptional kind of treatment can happen under some circumstances in areas or on some occasions where/when they cater to the farangs. On other occasions, they would not want a farang there when it comes with catering to the Japanese. And on other occasions, they do not want any foreigners around, especially, white ones. And I agree that a Thai American or any Asian American is treated very well in Thailand.

Only in Anglo countries are all Asians dumped into one monolithic group and treated as one. And the same happens to other unrelated groups. And in Japan they would dump all foreigners into one group. It is easier for the human mind. In Japan, they have signs- No Gaijin! That does not mean, white people. It means No Koreans, No Chinese! One Korean student was in Japan and he went to a bar and they slammed the door in his face- GAIJIN DAME! No Foreigners! And one Chinese acquaintance of mine went to a bar in Korea with other Chinese students there and was met with another " No Foreigners" tirade! Foreigners make trouble, no entry! Chinese= foreigners.

Here in the Philippines, it got to the point of ridiculous. In Cebu the wife of the mayor went to a souvenir shop owned by two Koreans- the guard came out and told her- "No Filipinos allowed inside!" CAN YOU F$%&*ING BELIEVE THAT??? This was too much, and she called the cops. The Koreans were arrested and put in jail awaiting deportation. On another occasion a Korean manager smacked a Filipino worker. Again, he was put in an immigration jail.

I was applying for an English teaching job in Manila and the Korean owner was haughty, demanding to see my passport and then he arrogantly asked with his chin up- 'Why do Americans come to the Philippines?' Like he was a long time colonial master of the country. And like this is not a former US Commonwealth. It cost me great effort not to lash out at his pompous mug and smack him.

Some Filipinos, though, can only put up with arrogance for so long. It is a very humble, sweet and polite , non confrontational culture where people treat each other with utmost courtesy, much more so than in any other place I have seen. But those who think they are lords here- beware!

Some Koreans already got killed here for the way they treated the locals. No Brit, no Aussie would be as rude to Pinoys here. The Japanese and the Koreans really take the cake.

So much for Asians as a united mass!

It is bad to look down on all people, period. For Western nationalities to say bad things about Asians, for Asians to stick fingers at white people and use some expletives or for anyone else not to treat people as equals on an individual basis. It is justice, you say? Well, so, now East Europeans should treat Thais and Chinese bad because of Ghenghiz Khan- After all he was an Asian, so now the Chinese are guilty because they are Asians, too? Are you responsible for what he did, too?

I am now on a lonely campaign here in the Philippines as one of the handful of people who speak the Filipino language to the Filipinos ( isn't it the way it should be?) and who is trying to fit in. After me, others will come. And in Asia hopefully they will learn that sticking fingers and shouting- gold headed monster, red haired monkey or constantly calling white people foreigners is also not polite and mend their ways. It is not going to happen overnight but we've got to start somewhere.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

ladislav,

I also hear stories that Koreans and Japanese in the Philippines really look down on the local people. I think allot of it has to do with the social economics of the country. I mean if the Philippines was much wealthier and stronger . I don't know if the Koreans and Japanese will behave that way. It's good question on that one. I seen Japanese tourist in Korea and even met the rare Japanese expats that live in Korea. Because they look Korean they just blend in for the most part. Where as the darker skin Asians tend to be treated poorer but the white people in Korea tend to be treated better.

I seen Japanese and Korean tourist here in NYC and they never look down on white people. So again it's the association of how strong and wealthy the country is.

About Koreans expats or Korean Americans living in America. This is what I notice with Koreans. There are Korean Americans who are racist and I don't excuse that but what I do notice is that people of all nationality and color have this divide line. I live in NYC....and you still see. blacks hang out with blacks , whites with whites and asian with asians...for the general part... I mean you do see mix groups ..mix couples.

What happened is that Koreans when they first arrive to America they experience racism or being picked on. This happened to all immigrants that first arrived to USA. Think of the first wave Jewish immigrants back in the turn of the century or Irish immigrants..etc. What happened ? You have to turn to your own for support and solidarity. And also when you experience racism...and this does not happen all the time but it sometimes makes you become a racist or react in that fashion.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

chanta76 wrote:ladislav,

I also hear stories that Koreans and Japanese in the Philippines really look down on the local people. I think allot of it has to do with the social economics of the country. I mean if the Philippines was much wealthier and stronger . I don't know if the Koreans and Japanese will behave that way. It's good question on that one. I seen Japanese tourist in Korea and even met the rare Japanese expats that live in Korea. Because they look Korean they just blend in for the most part. Where as the darker skin Asians tend to be treated poorer but the white people in Korea tend to be treated better.

I seen Japanese and Korean tourist here in NYC and they never look down on white people. So again it's the association of how strong and wealthy the country is.

About Koreans expats or Korean Americans living in America. This is what I notice with Koreans. There are Korean Americans who are racist and I don't excuse that but what I do notice is that people of all nationality and color have this divide line. I live in NYC....and you still see. blacks hang out with blacks , whites with whites and asian with asians...for the general part... I mean you do see mix groups ..mix couples.

What happened is that Koreans when they first arrive to America they experience racism or being picked on. This happened to all immigrants that first arrived to USA. Think of the first wave Jewish immigrants back in the turn of the century or Irish immigrants..etc. What happened ? You have to turn to your own for support and solidarity.
You will see even further divisions in NYC. American blacks despise Carribeans and Africans. US born Jews look down and do not talk to Jews from poorer countries, mainland born Puerto Ricans do not like those from Puerto Rico. When you see "whites" sitting together, it is not even that. Italian Americans hang out with their own, the Irish hang out with their own, the Jews associate with the Jews.

NYC suUUUUUUcks! Apartheid extraordinaire. It will make the white rulers of S. Africa proud. No need to pass apartheid laws. People themselves know their place and segregate themselves.
And also when you experience racism... it sometimes makes you become a racist or react in that fashion.
That's right. And many blacks and Puerto Rican in NYC are viciously unfriendly and hateful, too. My dad would say- "when I came to the US, I was not a racist, but now I am. They made me."

It is enough to make one crazy and begin to hate other races! I ran away from there because I could not stand it. Even California is better! You need to move out. I did! What a relief it was! Unless you are rich or are there for some particular specific purpose, just get out as soon as you can! I am not Asian and I hate the place with passion.
Where as the darker skin Asians tend to be treated poorer but the white people in Korea tend to be treated better.
Darker skinned Asians are slaves, white people are treated better but only as outsiders and temporary guests ( who after some time MUST go home). They smile at the guest and ask him if he has ever seen rice. They want to see him use chopsticks and practice English with him. They laugh when they see you eat with chopsticks. They clap their hands and jump up and down when you say something in the local language. They act moronic!

At least white people don't gawk at Asians when these use forks and eat bread or clap when these speak some European language.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!