Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Thailand Is Imploding

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Thailand Is Imploding

Postby Taco » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:46 am

Thailand seems to be having a currency crisis. "There's no near-term resolution in sight, Thailand has entered an extended period of political instability."

Thailand Is Imploding
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-12-2 ... -imploding
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby zacb » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:06 am

Not to gloat over others suffering, but time to be greedy when others are fearful and fearful when others are greedy.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster

Postby MrPeabody » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:59 am

It could be a good thing if the hot money is leaving, and they won't be in danger of a bubble collapse like what is going to happen to the US.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Postby xiongmao » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:04 pm

Seems to have a currency crisis?

Thailand is already in a currency crisis. The place is now 12% cheaper for me since June, and the pound is really accelerating away now. I guess the property boom will end badly in some way or another. I gather Thai households are up to their eyeballs in debt. When the government hikes interest rates they'll be bust.

I am intending to go back there, but I'll use Bangkok as a base while I explore other countries. However, plan B is that I've found out there are now direct flights from London to Manila, and at very attractive prices for a 15 hr flight.

I've seen all kinds of fake stats about Thailand's tourist industry. But the cold hard facts are that my hotel was DEAD in November/December - and less busy than it was in the Summer "low season".

While life goes in in Thailand for now, if a political party decides to play the easy "it's the Farangs' fault", then things will get very ugly indeed.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby Repatriate » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:21 am

The current currency weakening isn't just limited to the thb but most asian region developing nations. Institutional investors are just shifting money back to the EU and the US. It really has nothing to do with political instability or whatever vague reasons pumped by the media. The reasons are largely macro in scale. Btw 33 to the dollar is still not that good. If it hits 40- or so to the $ then that's worth talking about.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand