Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Blog post on Korean education

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Blog post on Korean education

Postby Cornfed » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:42 am

There are some good acerbic comments on the Korean education system here.
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Jester » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:49 pm

Quite a blog there!
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Paloaltoguy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:59 pm

Last edited by Paloaltoguy on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freshman Poster

Postby Luc Furr » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:15 am

Paloaltoguy wrote:Lol, someone should send this link to that zion guy in Gen.

Everything is memorized! Koreans are schooled to the extreme, but extremely ignorant in almost every possible way. Look how much time and energy are spent on English as just an example, yet the vast majority of people who go through that torture can barely produce a sentence other than memorized, formulaic chunks such as “I’m fine, thank you, and you?â€￾. Koreans are basically one step up from animals in that their entire lives are spent fulfilling needs, education included. Hobbies? What hobbies? Koreans work or study 15 hours a day, black out drink if their adults and then sleep. Most of my Korean students, both children and adults would tell me their hobby is sleeping!!

This fascist culture, where everyone is expected to live for everyone else has produced a bunch of animal like zombies who are mostly Klowns-lacking any social conscience, community-mindedness, proper manners or common sense.

In my experience those quotes from the blog are incorrect. I taught in Korea for two years. Students had a wide array of hobbies. Some were athletes (soccer, track, komdo), musicians, artists, others were computer programmers/hackers or just addicted to computer games. Student's hobbies and skills exceeded my own, but I grew up in a place where we had to take care of ourselves. We didn't get to pull items from a vault and pretend we were intelligent.

Like teenagers anyplace, I found some Korean students to be friendly and helpful and others to be jerks.

As far as learning English, some were excellent, most were not. Do the majority of American kids learn and excel at a foreign language? No

Re Adults: Sure, they were at work for very long hours. The corporate climbers went drinking often with the boss. Schmoozing. The guys who didn't want promotions went home early and had a relaxed life. About 5% chose the relaxed life.

In case you have not noticed, the fascist system has allowed South Korea as a nation to have people excel at everything. They have become major players in manufacturing, sport, music, technology. Do the benefits outweigh the costs? Does it matter? Nobody seems to care, they just want more. What has to happen for them to get that more is irrelevant.
Luc Furr
Freshman Poster

Return to Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand