Has anyone been to India?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Has anyone been to India?

Post by abcdavid01 »

Has anyone been to India? I've been reading Indian history and it seems like a place I might want to visit. Actually, I have a job in China for the first half of next year. Afterwards I was thinking of travelling to Europe, but India seems cool. Is it worth it? What's there? Best city? Is it dangerous besides the expected pickpockets/scams? Oh, and can I get by in just English if I stick to the cities?
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: India

Post by zboy1 »

I wonder if GuitarGuy is still around? Abcdavid, you might want to PM him for details. He said he dated and slept with an Indian chick while he was there.

One thing: from other expats I've talked to who have been to India, there's absolutely no way you won't get sick at least once, while in India. The country is so dirty, it's impossible to stay healthy the whole time you're there. If you think China is dirty, India is on whole 'nother level.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: India

Post by Yohan »

zboy1 wrote: ... there's absolutely no way you won't get sick at least once, while in India. The country is so dirty, it's impossible to stay healthy the whole time you're there. If you think China is dirty, India is on whole 'nother level.
This is true, India is horribly dirty especially in some areas around the cities, but Pakistan is even worse...

However India is worth a trip, just for some interesting vacation.
Already long time ago, I had no problem to communicate in English.

It's not a dangerous place in general, if you use some common sense. People are not shy and you can take many pictures almost everywhere.
Unfortunately I do not have enough time for a trip, this is a wide area, and you can travel around for many weeks or even months....

I have not been there since many years, so I cannot say anything about the situation in India now.