Why You Should Go To The Philippines Now

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Re: Why You Should Go To The Philippines Now

Post by Johnny1975 »

God created the Philippines as a mirror. You get what you put in. And those are my words of wisdom for today. Yes I'm aware that I mixed my metaphors.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Johnny1975 wrote:God created the Philippines as a mirror. You get what you put in. And those are my words of wisdom for today. Yes I'm aware that I mixed my metaphors.
It's not just the Philippines. Every society you walk into as a total stranger, a foreign entity, will end up being what you want it to be.

So many foreigners land in the Land of the Morning knowing but a couple of uneducated girls from the province, perhaps meet their immediate families and a couple of neighbours from the barangay.

They then use this micro-community as their only basis for judging the manners, the cultural and intellectual levels of ALL Filipinos.

If they're American, they demand that the quality of their prime ribs and burgers is the same as the corresponding establishments back home. They complain about Mexican food not be up to standard, in a country that has an amazing array of native dishes, most of which use far fresher ingredients (especially fish, vegetables and fruit) than those available back home.

They complain about the girls being dumb, plain and easy but it never crosses their mind that the socio-cultural level of the people they meet is only proportional to their own, and to the effort they want to put in turning up to the right places, shaking hands and gaining the respect of the right kinds of people, and nurturing those relationships without expecting much too soon.

If you're a guest in a strange land, the burden of proof is on you and you only. This applies in an ex-US commonwealth country like anywhere else.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

publicduende wrote:
Johnny1975 wrote:God created the Philippines as a mirror. You get what you put in. And those are my words of wisdom for today. Yes I'm aware that I mixed my metaphors.
It's not just the Philippines. Every society you walk into as a total stranger, a foreign entity, will end up being what you want it to be.

So many foreigners land in the Land of the Morning knowing but a couple of uneducated girls from the province, perhaps meet their immediate families and a couple of neighbours from the barangay.

They then use this micro-community as their only basis for judging the manners, the cultural and intellectual levels of ALL Filipinos.

If they're American, they demand that the quality of their prime ribs and burgers is the same as the corresponding establishments back home. They complain about Mexican food not be up to standard, in a country that has an amazing array of native dishes, most of which use far fresher ingredients (especially fish, vegetables and fruit) than those available back home.

They complain about the girls being dumb, plain and easy but it never crosses their mind that the socio-cultural level of the people they meet is only proportional to their own, and to the effort they want to put in turning up to the right places, shaking hands and gaining the respect of the right kinds of people, and nurturing those relationships without expecting much too soon.

If you're a guest in a strange land, the burden of proof is on you and you only. This applies in an ex-US commonwealth country like anywhere else.
Well-stated. :D
IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Post by IraqVet2003 »

When I want to visit the Philippines I would love to go to Cebu City and Manila. Not to mention stop by the beautiful beaches to see those hot Filipina chicks!!!!