Is it really easy for a man that looks like a troll (like this one) to get a Filipina wife?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Is it really easy for a man that looks like a troll (like this one) to get a Filipina wife?

Post by gsjackson »

Liza Soberano is also half American, and, sad to relate, I believe she was afflicted with a mostly American upbringing.

Edit: First ten years of her life in the U.S., though raised mostly by Phil. grandparents.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Is it really easy for a man that looks like a troll (like this one) to get a Filipina wife?

Post by yick »

Never heard of her, what an amazing looking young lady.

Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

yick wrote:
July 5th, 2020, 8:58 pm

She's in lots of TV commercials.

Unfortunately, the beautiful Filipinas like her cannot be trusted. They don't stop until your bank account is empty.
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

Taco wrote:
July 5th, 2020, 9:09 pm
Unfortunately, the beautiful Filipinas like her cannot be trusted. They don't stop until your bank account is empty.
From what I hear she doesn't behave like the typical American youngster. Two perhaps interesting facts from her Wiki page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liza_Soberano).
  • for a change, her Filipino half is from her father
  • she was born in California but moved to Manila when she was 10 to live with her grandparents, so I would expect her upbringing and demeanour to be that of a typical Filipina
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

yick wrote:
July 5th, 2020, 8:58 pm

And that's not a very flattering picture of her.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Re: Is it really this easy for a man that looks like a real troll (like this one) to get a Filipina wife?

Post by WorldTraveler »

MrMan wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 8:29 am
hypermak wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 8:15 am
My opinion? This obsession with white skin is absolutely bonkers and unhealthy to perpetuate, especially on media that is viewed by tens of millions of frustrated, dark-skinned, women and men. I don't find it classist in the modern democracy sense, I find it in the Gattaca/Elysium kind of sense.
It can work to your advantage. If you do not care about the opinions of Filippinos, you can pick out a 10 or near 10 with dark skin who looses three or four points in Filippino eyes for being too morena.

I remember when I first went to Indonesia, there was this really beautiful cashier who had dark skin and very exotic features. But I didn't speak Indonesian and couldn't communicate. I didn't realize the attitudes toward darker skin at the time. But a lot of Indonesians would not have seen the beauty for the dark complexion.

Somehow the darker skin Malayu people's manage to reproduce themselves and keep the skin tone going in spite of the media obsession with lighter skin.

A friend of mine shared his theories he adapted from articles in Psychology Today that men tend to marry women like their mothers. He had a Dutch friend who acted like he didn't like his plump medium-dark skinned engineer assistant, though he thought there was some attraction there. He theorized the man had a helfty mother, and probably liked fatter girls even though he wouldn't admit it. Fat people get married or find partners and make babies, too. It could be the same with darker women in these countries, that many men are attracted to them even if it does not fit the media image.

My mom was thin and pretty during my developing years, and the idea of being with a fat woman repulsed me. But that's a population of 1 I am considering, not the whole population.
This obsession with light skin is all over SEA and even greater in India. Many of the higher classed Pinays that are consider good looking are not good looking at all. They just have light skin.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

MrMan wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 8:32 am
It was really unwise for Ed to say he didn't want to be tested for STDs in the Philippines, but he wanted her to be. If he's afraid of the needles being dirty, he shouldn't subject the woman he plans to marry to that level of medical care. He should imagine that from her perspective.

Also, if he'd suggested they both get STD tests, he might have been able to pull that off...maybe.
I think that scene was scripted. It just seemed to dumb to be true. I would not want the producer and camera following me around all the time. They could ruin any relationship. I hope they paid for his whole trip.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Re: Is it really this easy for a man that looks like a real troll (like this one) to get a Filipina wife?

Post by WorldTraveler »

hypermak wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 9:28 pm
MrMan wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 8:51 pm
She wanted kids. He didn't, and according to the show, slept with her before telling her that. So I can understand if she's upset about it.

She's a single mother and poor. That puts her down in the ranking. Expats are rich and higher status. So she could end up with an older, much less attractive expat and it would probably make sense to her, but not if he didn't want kids.

Someone should tell him to expect that all pretty young Filippina women want kids.

She does look pretty, an 8+ maybe.

I've seen a number of clips about these two on YouTube. I saw another season's clip about a normal-looking guy who went to the Philippines for a girl, and he wouldn't eat the pork lechon they cooked, suspecting it to be dirty or something. It looked cooked. I don't get why an American wouldn't eat that unless he just didn't eat pork. Just about anywhere, people don't like it if they cook huge quantities of food in your honor and you won't eat.
Most dark-skinned FIlipinas dream of having kids from a foreign man. A mixed white kid is some sort of status symbol among lower-class Filipinas. Hard to tell how much of her desire to have kids is genuine and how much was scripted.

Surely, to be cynical (like most FIlipinos with each other), in her condition even a peaceful marriage with a foreigner who will support her, her son Prince and her family in Manila, with the opportunity to live in the US, would be a very prized outcome. If those scenes are at all real, she probably used the Ed's "no kids" statement as a stopper because she was already one inch away from giving up and that was the final straw.

I personally like dark-skinned girls but she is not an 8. If she had a professional photoshoot and make-up she would get to be a 6+, maybe.

Talking about morenas, these are 8s for me.

I stated that I thought Rose was in the top 95% of Pinays in looks. That doesn't mean that I think Rose is an 8. I'm not sure I'd give her a hard 7; maybe a 6.8 on a bell curve. I'd have to compare her to other girls that I consider a 7. I think the Philippines has almost no 8s. I don't even know who in the Philippines I'd give higher than an 8 to. Nobody comes to mind. I don't give much higher than 8s in any country. To me a 9 or 10 is someone, that you have some fetish for their looks. Rose get the top 95% because she is thin taller and her face is OK. Many Pinays are short and dumpy and have a Jollibelly. It's not that Rose is exceptional, it's just there are so few good looking ones in the Philippines.

Of the photos of the girls above I think all the next 3 have cuter faces than Rose. I'd can't tell anything without seeing their bodies. The last girl, her face doesn't appeal to me.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

hypermak wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 9:38 pm
MrMan wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 8:51 pm
I saw another season's clip about a normal-looking guy who went to the Philippines for a girl, and he wouldn't eat the pork lechon they cooked, suspecting it to be dirty or something. It looked cooked. I don't get why an American wouldn't eat that unless he just didn't eat pork. Just about anywhere, people don't like it if they cook huge quantities of food in your honor and you won't eat.
Yeah, that's Larry and Jenny, another popular American-Filipina couple from the show. That story ended up in marriage and she lives with his man in the US. Judging from the latest gossip, they look reasonably happy together.

I not going to watch whole seasons with 4 couples, but would like to watch just one couple on YouTube. Is this Pinay and her man interesting? Are there many scenes in the Philippines? I remember some man dating a Pinay the first season and I didn't enjoy watching them. I care little about seeing drama between them back in the Western country. Also are there any other couples that have a lot of interesting video in a foreign country? I care little about the drama when they come back to the West. Most of the Westerners seem very stupid, but maybe it's just part of the script.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

WorldTraveler wrote:
July 5th, 2020, 11:49 pm
I stated that I thought Rose was in the top 95% of Pinays in looks. That doesn't mean that I think Rose is an 8. I'm not sure I'd give her a hard 7; maybe a 6.8 on a bell curve. I'd have to compare her to other girls that I consider a 7. I think the Philippines has almost no 8s. I don't even know who in the Philippines I'd give higher than an 8 to. Nobody comes to mind. I don't give much higher than 8s in any country. To me a 9 or 10 is someone, that you have some fetish for their looks. Rose get the top 95% because she is thin taller and her face is OK. Many Pinays are short and dumpy and have a Jollibelly. It's not that Rose is exceptional, it's just there are so few good looking ones in the Philippines.

Of the photos of the girls above I think all the next 3 have cuter faces than Rose. I'd can't tell anything without seeing their bodies. The last girl, her face doesn't appeal to me.
I assume you mean top 5%, so one of the better looking ones. For a morena she is not bad, she is slender and she has natural beauty. Yet, if you watch the show or even some of the clips on YT, you will immediately see she has the typical vibe of the poor single mom from the province.

I don't want to be cynical but, as I have noticed here in the Philippines, looks and status usually go hand in hand. And I don't mean girls who are born rich and privileged. Even a girl from a very modest background who puts herself through public university and secures a decent job in a large city, will have the means to afford decent clothes, some skin treatment, good quality make up and immediately look much better.

She will also be more cultured and more curious about the world, which is also a big plus because even the hottest girl who cannot talk about anything else after "the deed" may soon become boring.

The last girl is actually a very hot actress called Juliana Palermo. She is not so young anymore but back in her golden days was a great head turner. Unfortunately she didn't have much of an acting career besides some indie productions with some strong sexual scenes.

Just Google "Juliana Palermo FHM" for some pretty hot stuff. :)
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

hypermak wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 12:12 am
WorldTraveler wrote:
July 5th, 2020, 11:49 pm

I assume you mean top 5%, so one of the better looking ones. For a morena she is not bad, she is slender and she has natural beauty. Yet, if you watch the show or even some of the clips on YT, you will immediately see she has the typical vibe of the poor single mom from the province.

I don't want to be cynical but, as I have noticed here in the Philippines, looks and status usually go hand in hand. And I don't mean girls who are born rich and privileged. Even a girl from a very modest background who puts herself through public university and secures a decent job in a large city, will have the means to afford decent clothes, some skin treatment, good quality make up and immediately look much better.

She will also be more cultured and more curious about the world, which is also a big plus because even the hottest girl who cannot talk about anything else after "the deed" may soon become boring.

The last girl is actually a very hot actress called Juliana Palermo. She is not so young anymore but back in her golden days was a great head turner. Unfortunately she didn't have much of an acting career besides some indie productions with some strong sexual scenes.

Just Google "Juliana Palermo FHM" for some pretty hot stuff. :)
I agree, Rose looks like an island girl. She has a very common look. I've seen and met quite a few of the girls that the locals think are pretty. Usually whiter skin and taller, but many are not thin. Yes, the upper classes are taller, bigger, and whiter. Seems you like the Filipino standard of beauty. I typically date lighter girls, but I don't seek them out. A pretty face and nice body are important too.

I watched this episode. I think his girl behavior is very typical of island girls. Many of these girls get easily offended. I went to my girlfriend's island and met her family. They didn't have a feast waiting on me when I came. I think this was a scripted scene to cause drama. When I went to visit my girlfriend her parents asked me what foods I liked. I preferred seafood and vegetables so they made that for me. They just assumed I was an finicky eater. We never had any problems with food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X91V5h8VbV8

Has Juliana Palermino have a giant tattoo on her side? I see a photo of her on the cover of Playboy and it looks like one.

It's great that there is a country where so many of their celebrities are mixed and their standard of beauty is mixed.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

WorldTraveler wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 12:34 am
I watched this episode. I think his girl behavior is very typical of island girls. Many of these girls get easily offended. I went to my girlfriend's island and met her family. They didn't have a feast waiting on me when I came. I think this was a scripted scene to cause drama. When I went to visit my girlfriend her parents asked me what foods I liked. I preferred seafood and vegetables so they made that for me. They just assumed I was an finicky eater. We never had any problems with food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X91V5h8VbV8

Has Juliana Palermino have a giant tattoo on her side? I see a photo of her on the cover of Playboy and it looks like one.

It's great that there is a country where so many of their celebrities are mixed and their standard of beauty is mixed.
Yes, I noticed that, too. I think it's because of the culture barrier and their frustration that, due to their limited speaking/understanding of English, much of their communication with you is lost in translation.

I eat everything Filipino, everything but balut! I think you know what it is :) Hospitality in a typical Filipino family is a sacred tradition and some families do go to great lengths (with respect to their financial means, of course) to make the guest, especially a foreign guest, feel welcome and special. The collective embrace of the extended family is one way, and a food feast is the other.

Of course openly refusing to eat their food is seen as a minor (or major, depending) insult. I don't know if that famous lechon (suckling pig) scene with Larry and Jenny was genuine or scripted, it's quite believable though. Jenny's family is clearly poor and Jenny's family must have scraped the bottom of their piggy bank to buy that large lechon and give Larry the best possible welcome, in their tradition.

Larry spitting the lechon back into the plate was clearly something extremely rude. The irony is that, if I remember well, Larry works in a McDonald's, so not exactly a champion of healthy food :)

One of the cutest recurring themes of 90 Day Fiance is actually the play on social/cultural stereotypes of countries like the Philippines, which Americans think they know like the back of their hand (they were part of the US, at some point, after all) but get surprised or disappointed about when they clash against things hard to see back home: from extreme poverty and ignorance to customs belonging more to their Spanish or Malay/tribal heritage, and so on.

Ironically, they try to document these people struggling with stereotypes but, by trying to over-dramatise everything, they end up making those stereotype shine even more!
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

Check this out, Rose, the girl as in the OP has her YouTube channel. Half a million subscribers and almost 1 million views for someone whose videos aren't even spoken in English. Not bad!

Good thing she is enjoying her 15 minutes of notoriety!