Kimchi Smell in Korean Bathrooms

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Kimchi Smell in Korean Bathrooms

Post by MrMan »

I remember when I was in South Korea, a lot of the three or four story office buildings there would have squat toilets in the corners of the building on every floor. The squat toilet would have trash cans for tissue Koreans would bring with them themselves.

If someone had deposited something into the can, there was a distinctive Korean kimchi poo smell. It smelled like poo, but a bit like kimchi, too. I tried to avoid using such restrooms.

I mentioned this to one of my expat friends. I'm not sure if it was to a single friend of mine from Long Island, or most likely to the recently-married-to-a-Korean friend of mine who had spent a lot of time in the military. I probably said it to the married guy. He disagreed and said the bathrooms did not smell like that. But he was very pro-Korean culture and probably had smelled so much kimchi poo, he couldn't detect it anymore.

I don't know if Korea has upgraded to toilets that can handle paper or not, but has anyone else noticed the kimchi scent in the bathrooms there?