How is Davao city like?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How is Davao city like?

Post by publicduende »

AllTimesUTC wrote:
October 13th, 2022, 7:37 am
You made some good points. I also prefer other Asian countries' food culture.
But, compare this to some areas of USA which are also full of unhealthy fried food. If you aren't in a big city with large immigrant communities thats all you got. Sure, in PI you need to find the hidden gems but they exist. Glass half full mentality I guess.
Well, after some bashing on Davao, here's a plus: food in Davao is relatively healthier compared to, say, Metro Manila. Apart from the hyper-cheap carinderias where people eat more bacteria and tiny insects than food, Davao is famous for two of the healthiest food item that can be found in the Philippines: seafood and fresh fruit.

Fish, especially tuna, shrimp and squid, is relatively cheap and, despite much of it being frozen at source, it will have only travelled a few dozens miles, from the Mindanao fishing hub which is General Santos City.

One of my favourite delicacies was (and is!) kinilaw, which is basically the Mindanaon version of tuna or malasugue (blue marlin) ceviche. Marinated in white rice vinegar, with abundant addition of chopped pepino (cucumber), some onion and the occasional chili. It's one of the cheapest and healthiest things you can eat in the country, and it's found in Davao at never more than P200, for a big portion.

Fruit-wise, there's Davao's King of Fruits, the Durian, which is a love-or-hate thing. It might take one aback because of its very pungent smell, especially when the pulp is sun-drenched and starts to ferment, but the back taste is something truly unique and must be tried to be believed. It's something in between a very creamy banana and notes of hazelnut and lychee. And that's just my taste buds at work! :)

If one isn't that daring, there's also an abundance of jackfruit, mangosteen, pomelo, lanzones, papaya, mango, etc.