Another HappierAbroad veteran member has apparantly passed away

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Another HappierAbroad veteran member has apparantly passed away

Post by MarcosZeitola »

He went by @davewe over here, but left the site years ago. Dave was a good guy, always helpful with his comments. He married a Filipina in his sixties, and just last year had a baby with her, he was already seventy at the time. He maintained a blog, marriedafilipina.com which I sometimes followed. Man had a nice way with words.

This is his last entry:

https://www.marriedafilipina.com/2023/0 ... -survived/

A bit of an ironic title, I'd say...

He wrote it on May, 2023. In June and again this August, a friend of Dave wrote the following comments:

Last edited by MarcosZeitola on August 13th, 2023, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Re: Another HappierAbroad veteran member has apparantly passed away

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
August 13th, 2023, 8:00 am
He went by @davewe over here, but left the site years ago. Dave was a good guy, always helpful with his comments. He married a Filipina in his sixties, and just last year had a baby with her, he was already seventy at the time. He maintained a blog, marriedafilipina.com which I sometimes followed. Man had a nice way with words.

This is his last entry:
Well.. Rest in Peace. Dave.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
August 13th, 2023, 8:01 am

It's pretty sad. He literally just had a son about nine months ago. He seemed in good spirits. I think I read in a previous entry that he took the same vaccine that also took out poor ol' @Jester. Sad to see them both go. Veteran posters appear to be dropping like flies, lately.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

MarcosZeitola wrote:
August 13th, 2023, 8:03 am
August 13th, 2023, 8:01 am

It's pretty sad. He literally just had a son about nine months ago. He seemed in good spirits. I think I read in a previous entry that he took the same vaccine that also took out poor ol' @Jester. Sad to see them both go. Veteran posters appear to be dropping like flies, lately.
:( .... Poor Dave. What the hell was he thinking? Taking the Death jab? Nowadays governments doesn't require you to take death jabs anymore. Jesus Christ.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

I guessed it was him. Very sad, especially because he seemed to have worked the HA strategy into a life that was truly satisfying for him. I hope the antisemitism here (of which I'm as guilty as anyone) isn't what caused him to stop posting, but I'm afraid it might have been. I just hope that ladislav, or any other Jews who find their way here, don't take personally our criticism of subversive social trends that are promoted largely by Jews. I've known Jews who were detestable and truly evil -- in the same circle of neocon war pigs as the Kagans -- and I've known a lot of true mensches. Like Ladislav's, Dave's posts were mostly very informative and clearly intended to be helpful. Without knowing them, I'd guess that he and Ladislav fall into the mensch category.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Another HappierAbroad veteran member has apparently passed away

Post by publicduende »

Oh, how deeply sad! Another one of the truer voices (and lives) of HA leaves us too soon!

I was also a habitual reader of his blog, it contained some of the wittiest, most beautiful and poignant stories about his life, his new family in the Philippines, his ups and downs and quirks. He never forgot to be serious when he wanted to be fun, and never stopped being toungue-in-cheek and entertaining even when talking about serious stuff, like his appointment with a minor face cancer.

I never had a chance to meet him in person or even talk to him, apart from our usual exchanges here in the forum. One didn't have to take that chance, though, to know that Dave was a solid man, with the purest heart and intentions.

I am sure he will be sorely missed. May he rest in peace and keep building custom guitars up in the clouds.

MarcosZeitola wrote:

This is his last entry:

He wrote it on May, 2023. In June and again this August, a friend of Dave wrote the following comments:

Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

publicduende wrote:
August 13th, 2023, 8:53 am
Oh, how deeply sad! Another one of the truer voices (and lives) of HA leaves us too soon!

I was also a habitual reader of his blog, it contained some of the wittiest, most beautiful and poignant stories about his life, his new family in the Philippines, his ups and downs and quirks. He never forgot to be serious when he wanted to be fun, and never stopped being toungue-in-cheek and entertaining even when talking about serious stuff, like his appointment with a minor face cancer.

I never had a chance to meet him in person or even talk to him, apart from our usual exchanges here in the forum. One didn't have to take that chance, though, to know that Dave was a solid man, with the purest heart and intentions.

I am sure he will be sorely missed. May he rest in peace and keep building custom guitars up in the clouds.

MarcosZeitola wrote:

This is his last entry:

I'm sure Dave is a wonderful guy.. despite not having met him in Happierabroad or in real life.
He is an another casualty from the death jab. RIP my noble friend. :(
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

August 13th, 2023, 9:08 am
I'm sure Dave is a wonderful guy.. despite not having met him in Happierabroad or in real life.
He is an another casualty from the death jab. RIP my noble friend. :(
Like with Jester, we cannot tell for sure that the jab has contributed to his demise. All I know if, by following his blog, he sounded pretty healthy and looking forward to more years with Janet, the baby and his loving extended familyt in Dumaguete.

Maybe it was the shot, or maybe not. What I am sure he would tell us, if he could stop by for a minute before floating away, is that he lived his life to the full, never being scared of anything, let alone other people's judgments.

More and more stories that are testament to the only reality out there: the present is the only time we really have, and yet the time we choose to neglect the most.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

publicduende wrote:
August 13th, 2023, 9:12 am
More and more stories that are testament to the only reality out there: the present is the only time we really have, and yet the time we choose to neglect the most.
It's just kind of crazy. One moment you're feeling on top of the world, holding your infant son... the next minute, you're gone from this life. Dave's final blog entry was eery. He wrote it in a bit of a tongue-in-cheek fashion, as he always did, it was titled "the baby is six months old - and I have survived". Just a few weeks later, he's dead. Life really takes no prisoners, never holds back, and can end terrifyingly abruptly. We all ought to make the most of it... so much precious time, wasted. I feel sorry for his son, who will never know his dad. But at least Dave left a legacy, which is more than a lot of us can say. A lasting impact, a footprint not easily washed away by the waves of time.

It kind of makes me think, about how we have so few guarantees in life. About how I'd visit his blog from time to time, waiting for an update. And how now I know there never will be another. Perhaps one day I'll be old, writing about my life online somewhere, only to keel over and my followers being none the wiser... and the world keeps turning, and life goes on, and we're no longer a part of it. Such a bittersweet reality.

We're all just a collection of (mostly) faceless unknowns, gathered together in an obscure corner of the web. And things like this just put the whole thing in perspective, don't they? Give a face to the faceless, and sort of humanize screen names that we see as silly little throwaways. I don't know why it gets to me a lot all of a sudden, but somehow, it does. Maybe I've grown into an overly sentimental bastard.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

publicduende wrote:
Like with Jester, we cannot tell for sure that the jab has contributed to his demise. All I know if, by following his blog, he sounded pretty healthy and looking forward to more years with Janet, the baby and his loving extended family in Dumaguete.

Maybe it was the shot, or maybe not....
To blame vaccine if somebody dies without even knowing more details (which vaccine and date - and date of death, medical history etc.) is plainly wrong.

I don't know anything about this person, however after reading now through his blog, he was not healthy, but suffering of skin cancer since 2021.

He also had a bad injury - a serious infection on one of his fingers, required surgery, antibiotics, tetanus vaccine...

from his blog:
I see my dermatologist every six months since my bout with skin cancer two years ago. My next appointment would be next month. But Janet noticed a pimple-like bump on my nose, not far from the previous surgery. So I scheduled an appointment for next week and told the nurse that if they got a cancellation earlier to let me know.
And a bout of skin cancer whispered, “See, you’re mortal. Better live it while you can.”
2021 began and I was diagnosed with skin cancer...
Last edited by Yohan on August 13th, 2023, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Yohan wrote:
August 13th, 2023, 6:40 pm
publicduende wrote:
Like with Jester, we cannot tell for sure that the jab has contributed to his demise. All I know if, by following his blog, he sounded pretty healthy and looking forward to more years with Janet, the baby and his loving extended family in Dumaguete.

Maybe it was the shot, or maybe not....
To blame vaccine if somebody dies without even knowing more details (which vaccine and date - and date of death, medical history etc.) is plainly wrong.

I don't know anything about this person, however after reading now through his blog, he was not healthy, but suffering of skin cancer since 2021.

He also had a bad injury - a serious infection on one of his fingers, required surgery, antibiotics, tetanus vaccine...

from his blog:
I see my dermatologist every six months since my bout with skin cancer two years ago. My next appointment would be next month. But Janet noticed a pimple-like bump on my nose, not far from the previous surgery. So I scheduled an appointment for next week and told the nurse that if they got a cancellation earlier to let me know.
And a bout of skin cancer whispered, “See, you’re mortal. Better live it while you can.”
You maybe right.. but I think it was the vaccine that ultimately finished the job.
We can all speculate ,but for some people, the vaccine is deadly if you don't have strong immune system... it will end up destroying the body.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

August 13th, 2023, 6:45 pm
You maybe right.. but I think it was the vaccine that ultimately finished the job.
We can all speculate ,but for some people, the vaccine is deadly if you don't have strong immune system... it will end up destroying the body.
I cannot find anything in his blog which indicates that he even received any covid-19 vaccine...
When was he vaccinated and which vaccine has been used? Did he mention anything about it?
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Yohan wrote:
August 13th, 2023, 7:25 pm
August 13th, 2023, 6:45 pm
I cannot find anything in his blog which indicates that he even received any covid-19 vaccine...
When was he vaccinated and which vaccine has been used? Did he mention anything about it?
Don't know.. you can ask @MarcosZeitola. Marcos said Dave take the same vaccine as jester did.
Marcos quote.
Seeker
Freshman Poster

Post by Seeker »

Of course one shouldn't speak ill of the (recently) dead but having a child at age 70 is just idiotic, especially when you're from a group whose life expectancy is just 73. Dave must have thought he would beat the odds and live to see his son grow up, too bad for his son that he lost.