Need advice about this chick from Panama

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Enticer wrote:My mother is from Panama...the only spanish women i'd date are from Spain. Most true Latin women are very assertive. I love my mother but she is a big mouth, wreckless and often thoughtless person. Her entire family down there are a bunch of cut throat money hungry kooks. Panama? No thanks...
You gotta watch that... Panama is one of the few Latin countries with heavy American influence and many people are bi-lingual. Its also being corrupted Gringo money, jacking up the cost of just about everything.

I have real concerns about Hero though, he seems to be a easy target to become a trainwreck we seem to hear about when alking about international relationships.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

Hero wrote:My Panamanian friend just asked me to come to Panama and marry her. Either she's crazy or she has a really weird sense of humor.

I'm betting that's her sense of humor....no offense. Don't take her too seriously.

I also agree with a couple of the others here that men in the USA tend to f**k things up with the women they want the most simply because they try too hard and hope too much. If you come off as needy or desperate, this is woman repellant. There are many fish in the sea and you should be interacting with her as if SHE is the one having to prove herself to be worth your time. One of you WILL be doing this and if you don't, she will.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

tre wrote:
Hero wrote:My Panamanian friend just asked me to come to Panama and marry her. Either she's crazy or she has a really weird sense of humor.

I'm betting that's her sense of humor....no offense. Don't take her too seriously.

I also agree with a couple of the others here that men in the USA tend to f**k things up with the women they want the most simply because they try too hard and hope too much. If you come off as needy or desperate, this is woman repellant. There are many fish in the sea and you should be interacting with her as if SHE is the one having to prove herself to be worth your time. One of you WILL be doing this and if you don't, she will.
I agree with you here (and with DJ above). Even if she IS Miss Right, she will appreciate having to qualify, and having to work for it.
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

rudder wrote:
Hero wrote:
rudder wrote:With women though, there is a good saying in Spanish: Amor de lejos, amor de pendejos.
"Love from afar, love of assholes"? Do I have the translation right??
Pendejo is dumbass. Cabron is asshole.
Just noticed the spelling of the two words you used. The Mexicans around me pronounce the words Bendejo and Cavron. Likewise, I've heard Vato, whereas another Latino acquaintance pronounced it Bato.

Comments regarding the pronounciation?
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

If she is serious about marrying you and you don't want any part of it, just bring up the subject of "Canal Zone" and how you believe the U.S. never should have given the Panama Canal and the Canal Zone to the Panamanians. She will immediately change her mind and put you on the sh*t list. :wink: :wink:

(Seriously, don't ever mention those two words while you're in Panama; it's very controversial and evokes bitter memories for the Panamanians.)
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

tre wrote:

Right now I'm just playing along and calling her "Mi prometida".... we'll see how things develop.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

I Hear A Train A'Comin'

Post by Jester »

djfourmoney wrote:
I have real concerns about Hero though, he seems to be a easy target to become a trainwreck we seem to hear about when alking about international relationships.
Hero wrote:
Right now I'm just playing along and calling her "Mi prometida".... we'll see how things develop.

I hear a train a-comin'
It's comin round the bend....
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Jester wrote:
rudder wrote:
Yeah my gf has never called me "pendejo"

:wink:
In Spain though, they don't tend to use the word pendejo. They would instead use "gilipollas" to say something like dumbass.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Halwick wrote:
rudder wrote:
Hero wrote:
rudder wrote:With women though, there is a good saying in Spanish: Amor de lejos, amor de pendejos.
"Love from afar, love of assholes"? Do I have the translation right??
Just noticed the spelling of the two words you used. The Mexicans around me pronounce the words Bendejo and Cavron. Likewise, I've heard Vato, whereas another Latino acquaintance pronounced it Bato.

Comments regarding the pronounciation?
Bs and Vs are basically interchangeable pronunciation-wise and form some sort of hybrid sound. Don't be surprised by regional variations either. Some places like Chile cut out the S sound in many words so you hear "Como etan?" In lots of places in Spain they cut out the D sound, so you hear stuff like, "Hemos trabajao" which sounds like a diphthong. Lots of territory conquered by the Spanish, so lots of variation. Just don't go to Zamboanga, that'll really throw you off.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

rudder wrote:
Bs and Vs are basically interchangeable pronunciation-wise and form some sort of hybrid sound. Don't be surprised by regional variations either. Some places like Chile cut out the S sound in many words so you hear "Como etan?" In lots of places in Spain they cut out the D sound, so you hear stuff like, "Hemos trabajao" which sounds like a diphthong. Lots of territory conquered by the Spanish, so lots of variation. Just don't go to Zamboanga, that'll really throw you off.
Yeah, that's true. In Spanish b and v are pronounced nearly the same. They call them b chica (v) (little b) and b grande (b) (big b). I think this is the same in all Spanish speaking countries.

The differences between countries can be huge and words can have completly different meanings. Accents also vary a lot.. Some types of Spanish are easier to understand than others. After a while you can tell what country someone is from by their accent. [/i]
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

Or perhaps a twofer.
Go on. Full speed ahead, then. :razz:
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Hey, how easy is it to travel between Panama City and David?
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

djfourmoney wrote:
Enticer wrote:My mother is from Panama...the only spanish women i'd date are from Spain. Most true Latin women are very assertive. I love my mother but she is a big mouth, wreckless and often thoughtless person. Her entire family down there are a bunch of cut throat money hungry kooks. Panama? No thanks...
You gotta watch that... Panama is one of the few Latin countries with heavy American influence and many people are bi-lingual. Its also being corrupted Gringo money, jacking up the cost of just about everything.

Panama and Philippines being countries with heavy American and Spanish influences and history of being colonized by both, do any of you see similiarities in the women, other than familiar with American culture and fluent in English?