Lima, Peru

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Lima, Peru

Post by kangarunner »

The view from the Airbnb:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lima

Lima originally founded as Ciudad de Los Reyes (City of The Kings), is the capital and largest city of Peru.

With a population of more than 9.7 million in its urban area and more than 11 million in its metropolitan area,[5] Lima is one of the largest cities in the Americas.

The city of Lima is considered to be the political, cultural, financial and commercial center of Peru.

Lima is home to one of the oldest institutions of higher learning: the National University of San Marcos, founded on 12 May 1551, is the first officially established and the oldest continuously functioning university in the New World.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Lima, Peru

Post by yick »

Love Lima, such a great city of two halves, you have where you are going towards the centre which is safe, well policed, lots of things to do and then you have the eastern parts of the city which aren't as safe etc but things are improving - the safe parts of the city are more than big enough not to get bored, even the district of Miraflores is the size of a town.

People who spend a day in Lima before flying to Machu Picchu are idiots - Lima has a lot to offer.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

yick wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 1:14 pm
Love Lima, such a great city of two halves, you have where you are going towards the centre which is safe, well policed, lots of things to do and then you have the eastern parts of the city which aren't as safe etc but things are improving - the safe parts of the city are more than big enough not to get bored, even the district of Miraflores is the size of a town.

People who spend a day in Lima before flying to Machu Picchu are idiots - Lima has a lot to offer.
I gotta check out more places in Lima. The weather has been real nice, sunny, and cool. I see a lot of people running and bicycling.

I got this baller Airbnb for $30/day.

kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

I asked ChatGPT for 10 places to visit in Peru:

Peru is a diverse and enchanting country with a wide array of exotic and fun places to explore. Here are ten of the most captivating destinations for tourism:

1. Machu Picchu: This iconic Incan citadel is a must-visit destination for travelers. Located high in the Andes Mountains, the ancient ruins offer a breathtaking view of the surrounding landscape.

2. Amazon Rainforest: A visit to the Peruvian Amazon is an opportunity to experience unparalleled biodiversity. Take a guided tour through the dense jungle to witness exotic wildlife and immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the rainforest.

3. Cusco: The historical capital of the Inca Empire, Cusco is a city that blends colonial architecture with ancient ruins. Explore the vibrant streets, visit nearby archaeological sites, and discover the fascinating history and culture of the region.

4. Lake Titicaca: The highest navigable lake in the world, Lake Titicaca is shared with Bolivia. It's surrounded by picturesque landscapes and home to traditional communities like the Uros, who live on floating islands made of reeds.

5. Nazca Lines: These mysterious geoglyphs etched into the desert floor are best seen from the air. Take a scenic flight to marvel at the intricate and massive designs that date back over 2,000 years.

6. Huacachina: This desert oasis is an adventurer's dream. Try sandboarding on the massive dunes, go on a thrilling dune buggy ride, and witness stunning sunsets over the sandy landscape.

7. Colca Canyon: Twice as deep as the Grand Canyon, Colca Canyon offers breathtaking views and is one of the best places in Peru to spot the majestic Andean condors.

8. Huascaran National Park: For nature enthusiasts, this park is a paradise. It is home to stunning snow-capped peaks, turquoise lakes, and diverse flora and fauna.

9. Paracas National Reserve: Explore the rugged coastline, desert landscapes, and observe the fascinating marine life in the protected waters of this coastal reserve.

10. Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca): This stunning natural wonder features colorful striped mountains due to various mineral deposits. The hike to the summit offers a unique and rewarding experience.

Remember, while visiting these exotic places, it's essential to respect the environment, local cultures, and follow responsible tourism practices.

yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

kangarunner wrote:
July 27th, 2023, 1:34 pm
yick wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 1:14 pm

I gotta check out more places in Lima. The weather has been real nice, sunny, and cool. I see a lot of people running and bicycling.

I got this baller Airbnb for $30/day.

I liked your videos, interesting that you prefer it to Colombia, the part of Lima you're in is as nice as anywhere and nicer than most places. Some nice places to go are

Jesus Maria and Campo de Marte on the weekend - loads of dancing troupes and goings on

Chorrillos and some ceviche by the beach at Agua Dulce

La Victoria and Gamarra Market (you can get a bus from Miraflores but best off getting an uber and back)

Towns outside Lima which are really nice such as Punta Hermosa and San Bartolo.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

If you like nice beach towns, go to Mollendo and thank me later. You will be one of the few non-Peruvians there.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

yick wrote:
July 29th, 2023, 6:06 am
If you like nice beach towns, go to Mollendo and thank me later. You will be one of the few non-Peruvians there.
I'll go ahead and thank you now for the information.

kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

kangarunner wrote:
July 31st, 2023, 10:55 pm
yick wrote:
July 29th, 2023, 6:06 am
I'll go ahead and thank you now for the information.
No worries, let me know if you want somewhere decent to stay for about 15 dollars a night, wifi and in town, it is super tranquilo so you haven't anything to worry about regards safety or things to do, it is actually near a decent gym further up the street.

There is (or was when I went there earlier in the year..) a direct bus from Lima with CIVA bus company but you can get there with any other bus to Arequipa and get a local shunter to Mollendo - about two hours, worth a week or two if you like the beach and you're heading towards spring, best time to go.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

Miraflores area in Lima, Peru.

kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

I've been staying here for a few days and it's been very peaceful. They really have overrun it with the dune buggy business pretty much ruining the natural tranquility of the place itself.

Huacachina is a natural oasis in the desert of Peru.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huacachina

https://www.huacachina.com/info/
This oasis was formed thanks to an underground current of water, which generated the growth of plants and trees in the middle of the ica desert. Currently, there are efforts underway in order to preserve the oasis, and to help to preserve the vegetation which is made up of palm trees, eucalyptus and carob trees.

Being a natural oasis, Huacachina has been one of the favorite tourist destinations of Peruvians and foreigners for decades. In the 1960’s it was a famous summer resort. This resort boasted houses, hotels, a boardwalk around the lagoon and even a spa for treatments. Today, Huacachina is visited by hundreds of people who come to enjoy the dune tours in buggies, try their hand at sandboarding and experience Huacachina’s famously wild nightlife.

Huacachina is a very small place but it has an undeniably fantastic spirit. It has a beautiful climate, friendly people, dreamy sunsets and also has the very unique experience of being in the middle of the desert next to a beautiful oasis.

yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Huacachina is another tourist trap - you want tranquility and miles of beaches - you need to go further south - Cayma, Mollendo and Ilo for the win.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

yick wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 1:38 am
Huacachina is another tourist trap - you want tranquility and miles of beaches - you need to go further south - Cayma, Mollendo and Ilo for the win.
Cusco and Iquitos have "healing centers" where you can do ayahuasca ceremonies. I thought about doing one. The total experience of enduring a complete ayahuasca ceremony looks to be very intense. I was looking at some sites for healing centers and they also offer San Pedro which is from a cactus. It's a psychedelic similar to LSD but from what I read the "trip" lasts much longer.

I did a lot of reading and watched some youtube videos on Ayahuasca and San Pedro. Some said that in the case you have a bad trip, you have to ride it out. I read one part that said "death would seem like a gift" in some cases. Wow...scary.

But from what I've read ayahuasca and psychedelics activate parts of your brain that can have positive mental health effects. Maybe I will go ahead and do one. They are definitely asking for a lot of money to do it though.

Obviously ayahuasca is an ancient and sacred ceremony by the Incas I think? But now the people in Peru are looking to make money off the foreigners. I wonder how many of all the participants in Ayahuasca are actually native Peruvian people.

In 2018, there was guy from Canada who traveled to Peru to learn about Ayahuasca and then was lynched by locals in Peru because he was accused of murdering an old woman. I watched a cell phone video showing them dragging him through the mud and him yelling please stop.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... lling.html

Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

kangarunner wrote:
September 14th, 2023, 3:20 pm
Cusco and Iquitos have "healing centers" where you can do ayahuasca ceremonies. I thought about doing one. The total experience of enduring a complete ayahuasca ceremony looks to be very intense. I was looking at some sites for healing centers and they also offer San Pedro which is from a cactus. It's a psychedelic similar to LSD but from what I read the "trip" lasts much longer.

I did a lot of reading and watched some youtube videos on Ayahuasca and San Pedro. Some said that in the case you have a bad trip, you have to ride it out. I read one part that said "death would seem like a gift" in some cases. Wow...scary.

But from what I've read ayahuasca and psychedelics activate parts of your brain that can have positive mental health effects. Maybe I will go ahead and do one. They are definitely asking for a lot of money to do it though.

Obviously ayahuasca is an ancient and sacred ceremony by the Incas I think? But now the people in Peru are looking to make money off the foreigners. I wonder how many of all the participants in Ayahuasca are actually native Peruvian people.
Ayahuasca is a sacred ceremony of the Amazonian tribes.

If the retreats that you've looked into are charging an extortionate amount of money for their Ayahuasca ceremonies, then they sound like a ripoff. I myself paid 70 euros for an Ayahuasca ceremony under the guidance of a shaman who had actually studied that sort of stuff with a tribe in Colombia and I had the deepest psychedelic trip that I've ever experienced. You don't need to pay a lot of money to take Ayahuasca. Those expensive retreats are just a ripoff for tourists. You can get the real deal for much cheaper.

My own Ayahuasca trip showed me the duality of all created existence (as opposed to the fundamental unity of the Transcendental Absolute) which I fully experienced in the flesh. While in a trance state, I experienced an ongoing alternation between absolute bliss and absolute suffering and terror (one moment I'd be feeling divine light enveloping me and filling me with unbelievable euphoria and serenity and the next moment I'd feel myself suffocating and filled with absolute panic and my soul writhing with forms of pain that I never knew even existed). This would continue until I realized that pleasure and pain are just two sides of the same coin and then I experienced a deeper, more fundamental level of reality that was completely unitary and pervaded only by bliss - a higher level outside of this created reality.

My Ayahuasca trip included considerable pain and terror but it was worth it for the greater growth which resulted from the whole experience. When the shaman gave me the brew, I asked to see what reality is and that is what I was shown. If you want to take Ayahuasca, it's best to approach it with the mindset of a warrior. The experience might knock the hell out of you but you just have to take it and ride it out.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

kangarunner wrote:
September 14th, 2023, 3:20 pm
yick wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 1:38 am

In 2018, there was guy from Canada who traveled to Peru to learn about Ayahuasca and then was lynched by locals in Peru because he was accused of murdering an old woman. I watched a cell phone video showing them dragging him through the mud and him yelling please stop.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... lling.html
I did Ayahuasca in the Amazon jungle near Pucullpa, Peru. The Shaman only spoke Spanish but he was authentic. I have also done San Pedro. San Pedro can easily last over 12 to 16 hours. Ayahuasca will last at most 5 hours.