I Sold Out On Being Happier Abroad

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

I Sold Out On Being Happier Abroad

Post by xiongmao »

Well last year's travels in SE Asia were fun, but I've sold out on my Happier Abroad dream for the time being and I've got a job back in the UK.

However, I've largely done this in order to make it much easier for me to spend much more time abroad in the future. I've got a plan, and it will take me a year or two to carry it out here.

Still there are some other positives. My new job is actually in the travel industry, which will set me up nicely for if I want to find a good job in Asia. I'll also be working between Brighton and London, two of the UK's best places for meeting interesting ladies. I'll give the local dating scene a go and see who I can find.

If any of you are going to be passing through London then give me a shout :lol: .

I don't get quite as much paid vacation in this job as in my last one, but I should be able to fit in a couple of fortnight long trips somewhere. I'm sure I'll be tempted to go back to Bangkok :lol: .
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

GooMacgle
Freshman Poster

Post by GooMacgle »

xiongmao,

Congrats on the new job! While I have only started posting recently, I have been reading this board and your posts for a very long time and you always have valuable insight. We all have to make economic decisions to keep the ship afloat while we position ourselves for a brighter future which is what it seems like you are doing. Sounds like a smart move to me - after all this is still not the strongest economy worldwide really and I am still seeing several companies worldwide slow or delay their spending. Weather the storm and come out the back end much stronger.

Look forward to seeing your continued contributions on the board.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yes I'm sure I'll be posting updates, and I will go to Asia again some time this year.

I might also have a firesale of all the sites I've built last year if anyone wants to pick them up.

For now I have my eye on buying more rental property. I bought my first place in 2006 and it's only been empty for a total of 3 months in all that time. UK property is expensive but a very good investment.

I'd also like to get re-synchronised with the economy, and work when the job market is good, and go to Asia when things are bad.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

What is the typical or expected number of paid vacation days for IT workers in the UK?
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

20 days + public holidays. So you could easily squeeze in a couple of trips to Thailand if you didn't use up your vacations for other things.

Some employers give more - I got 28 days in my last job.

IT salaries are good, but without immigrants and outsourcing to India salaries would be spectacular.

I could earn a lot more if I did something like Sharepoint (I hate it), or if I had banking/finance experience (never worked in that).

But travel is an excellent niche - half the IT jobs open to foreigners in Bangkok seemed to be travel related. And I'll be doing stuff for household names which is great.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

I think Certified Scrum Master salary is higher than Sharepoint dev.
Rich
Freshman Poster

Post by Rich »

Sounds great. Earn some serious cash in the UK and take two week trips from time to time. It's nice that the Sterling is starting to strengthen too.

I just spent two weeks in Cebu and had a fantastic time. I met this lovely 21 year old on the internet on my second day and traveled around with her - I didn't do any preparation before that (stupid, but it worked out well). She was the only girl I hung out with as I'm not big on lining up a huge amount of options. I just find the whole thing too exhausting and feel guilty messing people around. If I meet someone I like, I just go with it. She spoke good English, read newspapers and English novels (this is very very rare from my experience, in fact it's the first time I've come across this) and she was in the last year of her degree. She was also 5ft4, which is quite tall there. I was incredibly lucky. There was a moment on Camotes Island when I was lying next to my pretty, intelligent friend in out little air conditioned villa where I felt like I could have been dreaming. I'm 50 and not really handsome (not fat though!) so I never take such moments for granted, god no.

I've returned to Australia pretty happy, thanks to going abroad. I am fortunate in that I earn good money and flights to Asia are cheap. I'm starting to think that two weeks away here and there is all I need to recharge my batteries.

BTW, I would highly recommend a visit to Camotes Island if you're ever in Cebu. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camotes_Islands. Fun fact: A plate of calamari costs just 70ph in Camotes but in the TGIF Restaurant in Cebu City it costs 390 ph. Crazy.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: I Sold Out On Being Happier Abroad

Post by Cornfed »

xiongmao wrote:Well last year's travels in SE Asia were fun, but I've sold out on my Happier Abroad dream for the time being and I've got a job back in the UK.
Seems a bit lame and taking the easy (but sucky) option. The atipodeans don’t call you guys POMEs for nothing. :)