If it's better abroad, then why so many want to come here?

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
Winston
Site Admin

If it's better abroad, then why so many want to come here?

Post by Winston »

"If life is better abroad, then how come so many foreigners are trying to get into America?"

This is a good question and a valid one. And it's a question that I've struggled with myself, wondering whether the foreigners who have a rosy picture of America and want to go there are seeing an illusion, or whether they are seeing something real and people like me just don't appreciate what we've got. I've come to think it's a combination of the two.

But I should clarify some things here.

First, the people who come to America aren't coming for freedom (contrary to US propaganda), or a better social/dating life. They don't come to be loved, feel special, or have a better sex life. And they definitely don't come because it's the best place to find a soulmate. They come to make more money than they can in their own home country. Thus, their reasons for emigrating and mine are vastly different of course. I’m not like them cause money, though I love it, doesn’t make me tick; Meaningful experiences do.

Second, the percentage of the rest of the world that are trying to come to America is not as large as most Americans think. In any country, the majority prefer to stay in it. But of course, Americans only see the ones coming in and assume that "everyone" is trying to come. It is as flawed as a Saudi Arabian thinking that because he/she sees many Americans coming to Saudi to make the Pilgrimage to Mecca, that most Americans must be trying to come there. Only some countries still view the US as a golden land to aim for. Europeans and Australians for example, are critical of life in the US and see no need or advantage to moving there. The places with the highest percentage of people wanting to go to the US tend to Mexico and parts of Asia. But they're doing it for the money of course, not for social, romantic, psychological or cultural benefits.

Third, it should be noted that a large percentage of immigrants in America end up disappointed. Some feel alienated and isolated. Others feel overburdened with the stress of debt and bills that call into question whether the American dream is really worth it or not. And some complain of the lack of culture, social life, connectedness, and ability to enjoy life there.

Fourth, there are increasing numbers of Americans disillusioned with life in the US moving abroad, but none of it gets any publicity in the US mainstream media of course, only the incoming immigrants do. And as we all know, the media's coverage is highly biased, selective, unbalanced, and agenda-driven.

The bottom line is that each place has its pluses and minuses. Which pluses are more important to you depend on your values and priorities. And each individual has a different chemistry with each culture, and is seen differently by the respective cultures as well. So it all depends. As for me, dating, social life, feeling special and desired, etc. are a high priority to me, but which suck big time in America for me. And I tend to thrive with a better chemistry abroad than in the US, so that the best in me is brought out and I can grow and evolve more freely than in the States. And there are others like me too. So, I guess the answer would be that life for ME and OTHERS who are like me, is better abroad, but not for everyone. (And I never claimed it was for everyone) But I do feel that I and those who share my opinions have a right to have a public voice as well, to organize, reach others, and validate each other.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: If it's better abroad, then why so many want to come her

Post by fschmidt »

Fred has a nice article about Mexican immigration here:

http://www.fredoneverything.net/Mexicans.shtml
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

When I lived in Taipei in the 1970s, the city was very polluted (much like China today from manufacturing sector) and I had a lot of health problems. We moved around and settled in Southern California, where the weather was good and the air and water was clean/cleaner. My health improved within the year.

That's not to say that Taiwan is bad today. It's gotten a lot cleaner, and if you live outside the city, like Yilan, the air and water is very clean too.

America offers a lot of education and work/business opportunities. We also have decent health care, if you can afford to pay. Social life can be very good for those who are lucky enough to "click" with the right social groups, or have high enough sexual market value to attract women to them. The beach cities produce some very attractive women, though not necessarily good marriage material. Major cities also have immigrants from all over the world, as well as universities with many foreign students. You can date women from many different countries without leaving the city.

Unattractive "nerds" will have a difficult time with social life here. But in America even nerds can find employment in IT and work less for more money, which affords them to go abroad and have fun. In comparison, nerds in Asia work far longer hours for less pay.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

I know for certain the vast majority of asian immigrants went to the U.S. mainly for economic reasons. That's the main and typical reason and not surprisingly the bulk of asian immigrants came during the 60's when Asia was a complete economic mess. Japan was the only country doing well at the time but it was still far the #2 largest economy that it is today.

If you look at recent immigrant stats it's real interesting. Korean and Japanese immigrants have tapered off quite a bit. It's nearly impossible to find a fresh Japanese immigrant in the U.S. these days unless of course they are married to an American and moved here for that reason. Koreans are tapering off as well and the majority immigrated during that 60's wave.

So most of the asian immigrants you see these days are from poorer asian countries or countries with such huge populations that the numbers are just natural run off. :lol:
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: If it's better abroad, then why so many want to come her

Post by ladislav »

[quote="WWu777"]"If life is better abroad, then how come so many foreigners are trying to get into America?"

When a job is advertised in Kuwait or Saudi Arabia, paying tax free salaries, thousands of Americans respond and many go to live in Saudi. There are many American compounds here in Saudi where Americans live and play and enjoy great life and status. Does this mean that in thier hearts they love the country?

They come for money. Same in Kuwait- it is full of Americans living and working, and staying there for decades. Does that mean that Kuwait is now the greatest country on Earth judging by the number of foreigners wanting to come there?

Follow the money trail.

If you are Honduran taxi driver whose salary is $60 a month, of course you want to work in Los Angeles. You will be saving $500 a month and then, you will be able to buy a house after oneyear. Houses cost $5000-6000 in Honduras. That is why people want to work in the US- the dollar will buy more in their country than their local currency.

If you are a Filipino computer programmer making $300 a month, of course you want to come to the USA and make $4000 a month. You will send home $600 a month to feed your family of ten uncles and thirty cousins and twenty nephews- the dollar will buy enough there with the current exchange rate. Then, you will save $10000 and a buy a Filipino jeep for $3000 and a house for $7000. You have hit pay dirt. That is why people are coming.

If you are a poor African, making $10 a month witha wife to feed, you will love America even if you are a janitor there. You will send home $400 a month. A fortune there.

They come because they want to capitalize on the dollar exchange rate vs their currency.

And we should follow thier examples- go to their cheap countries and live like kings.

Europeans an Ozzies are rarely coming if at all because their countries are now richer than the USA.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
hornyabc
Freshman Poster

Post by hornyabc »

Ladislav, it's funny you mention Europeans and Ozzies are rarely coming to the US now... but I find that they ARE, only for a different reason.

Since their countries are now richer than the US, they NOW come to the US as tourists and to take advantage of exchange rates so they can "live like kings" much like how we Americans will go to a poorer Asian country.

Even though the US dollar has been weaker than it has been in the past, luckily for now it's still worth visiting China and some Asian countries. I just hope it doesn't change too fast. :)
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

hornyabc wrote:Ladislav, it's funny you mention Europeans and Ozzies are rarely coming to the US now... but I find that they ARE, only for a different reason.

Since their countries are now richer than the US, they NOW come to the US as tourists and to take advantage of exchange rates so they can "live like kings" much like how we Americans will go to a poorer Asian country.
They should enjoy it while it lasts the global economic contraction for first world nations just hasn't caught up with them yet like it has the U.S. The U.K. is feeling the sub prime burn but their broader economy hasn't been hit quite as hard.
Even though the US dollar has been weaker than it has been in the past, luckily for now it's still worth visiting China and some Asian countries. I just hope it doesn't change too fast. :)
Weaker yes..but only because of the current credit crisis combined with an economic recession and wild deficit spending by the moron in office. I really doubt things will remain this way for the forseeable future.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

hornyabc wrote:Ladislav, it's funny you mention Europeans and Ozzies are rarely coming to the US now... but I find that they ARE, only for a different reason.

Oh, without a doubt. The US gets 40,000,000 tourists a year. And these must have money to come. But the party is over. The Oz dollar is at 1.47 now. The Euro and the Pound are sliding, too.

Anyway, you know who else loves America and its women? Rich Gulf Arabs ( until recently , anyway) . They have millions in the bank and enjoy girlfriends and sex workers and the freedom to drink. They enjoy London, too.

Ugly Japanese women past 28-30. These have no future in Japan as far as dating goes but there are plenty of US guys who want to date them and marry them.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!