Why is this American girl complaining about Europe?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
Winston
Site Admin

Why is this American girl complaining about Europe?

Post by Winston »

From an Asian American girl: (why are Europeans so rude to her?)

"By the way, this time around when I traveled Europe I realized how
American I really was and how much I actually appreciated America. It
is weird. I think maybe I was in a different sate of mind before or
maybe I've changed to adapt to American culture but now that I'm back
in Europe I kind of miss things like friendliness, customer service,
free tap water and bathrooms... that kind of thing. I also hate how
everyone here seems to think I'm ignorant or clueless or something and
likes to take jabs at me just because I'm American. Someone from Wales
accused me of not knowing where Wales was without even knowing me. Of
course I knew where Wales is and what Welsh people are like... I did
stay at Oxford for a summer and conversed at length about it with
someone that was Welsh. SOOOO annoying. If you are going to inform me
don't insult me. I think some people are jealous of Americans too to
be honest. Another person accused me of "showing off" when I took out
a labtop to surf the web in one of the youth hostels when he found out
I was American as well. What the hell. I bet if I told him I was
Canadian he wouldn't have said anything.

Several times I asked peopel for directions and they told me they
didn't speak English (in English). I knew this was because I was
American.

By the way, I also went to Budapest and was sooo turned off that I
decided not to explore the rest of Eastern Europe. I have decided that
I like nice places with nice people. People who won't try to cheat me
out of everything just because I'm a foreigner. Several things
happened... I was stared at quite a bit because I was the only asian
looking person on the street, a waiter penciled in 500 forint charge
for a to-go box that happened to be a recycled yogurt container, a
train conductor that I thought was just being nice that carried my
bags onto the train told me I had to pay additional euros for him to
seat me, people growled at me when I asked questions... all this
garbage. Everything was so nasty and dirty. I've decided to stick with
nice places like Austria, UK, Germany. It sounds bad, but I feel like
the better off a country is economically, the more inclined people are
to treat you with decency and respect.

I have to say I miss the U.S. and there are certain things I took for
granted that I no longer do. I'm thinking that I had an escapist
mentality when I first left the States several years ago and that I
was really looking for something outside myself. But in the long term,
I have to be happy with myself before thinking I can be happy anywhere
else. When it comes to living somewhere it is different than actually
just visiting. And now I really do appreciate the U.S. for what it has
given me. There are good and bad parts to every country. But the
conveniences and luxuries and how it is so easy to get things started
in the States (several Europeans were telling me that it is much
easier to start a business in the states because the European
mentality is more risk averse, and that the American workers they
worked with were more optimistic, goal-oriented, and efficient than
the others)... has made me decide that living in the states is
probably best for me (maybe living abroad for a couple of years or so
is okay, but not for the long haul). I have to be honest-- I do think
life is easier in the states. A german family I met told me that's
what they think since the German mentality is very much pessimistic
(makes sense given their history) and they are fixated on problems and
what could go wrong, whereas they feel Americans and their positive
attitude lends itself to an easier life.

Wow, felt good to unleash this torrent. Maybe I am changing as well. I
know that before I used to bag on America so much... but I really want
to go back now."
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

You know the proverb- An elevator smells different to a midget.

1) I also feel very American when I travel in other countries but I can get girls there, so it is fine.
2) She went to the wrong countries, She went to the UK? A country where if a beautiful woman walks down the street, men do not even look.
She also went to Hungary? A country not known for friendliness. Hungarians are known for being stuck up and unhelpful. My parents were there and they were carrying heavy bags and no one helped them. They went to Slovakia and things were different. People were helping them out and trying to be nice. Night and day!
3) She is making the insidious American mistake by treating Europe as a 'country'. It is America ( a country) vs Europe- (a continent )with cultures/nations that are totally unrelated and totally different from each other. European countries are NOT like American states. She simply did not go to the right ones.
She should have gone to Greece, Macedonia. She should have gone to Croatia. Maybe even Italy and then Turkey ( not Europe but still close)
Hungary is an odd one out. There are not Slavs or Germanics or anything at all. They are of Asian descent, too. She should have also tried to learn languages of those nations and read about their history.
4) She is a WOMAN. an Asian WOMAN. What does she need in Europe? Asian women have got it made in America. Hey, if I were an Asian woman in the US, why would I need to leave?
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Jake
Freshman Poster

Post by Jake »

Yeah it really depends where in Europe and it definitely helps to know the local language. By the way, what is Paris and Berlin is like as I plan to go there soon for five days each. What is Brussels and Amsterdam is like I'll stay one day each by taking a train from Paris.

Any useful information about Western European cities and its people and women would be helpful. :)
icarus
Freshman Poster

Post by icarus »

Jake wrote:Yeah it really depends where in Europe and it definitely helps to know the local language. By the way, what is Paris and Berlin is like as I plan to go there soon for five days each. What is Brussels and Amsterdam is like I'll stay one day each by taking a train from Paris.

Any useful information about Western European cities and its people and women would be helpful. :)
Depends on what you want. They say Berlin is a city which wears its history on its sleeve so there are plenty of historical sites and walking tours. Berliners aren't exactly the most friendly of people, but making acquaintances isn't impossible by any means. It's also a very cosmopolitan city where you can find residents of many different races and national origins.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- Albert Einstein
gmm567
Freshman Poster

Post by gmm567 »

She is an asian american female. Lots of guys here have the asian fetish. She doesn't learn the language. She doesn't get immersed in the culture. She doesn't say one thing about cultural differences. She noticed nothing except that the streets aren't clean and that some of the people see her as a mark to scam. She is a typical American who travels to Europe.

THE CLERKS ARE MORE FRIENDLY HERE IN THE US!

How insightful!
OLU
Freshman Poster

Post by OLU »

i dont think theres any doubt that america is more beautiful and friendly, but underneath the shiny beauty, smiles, and friendliness lies a dark side. im not saying all americans are f***ed up, but the ones who are, seem much more deadly the their european counter parts. its hard for americans to get used to europe. its just the way people are raised, but i believe europeans have a kinder heart in general, and are not as nasty as americans. think about the stupid frat boys in american university, or bullies in american junior highs. to be a frat boy, you have to be abused to get in. how twisted is that? theres also alot of dodgy shit in america that you cant see, like the authoritarianism, but take a look at their airports and you will see signs of a bigger picture of authoritarian rule. any foreigner entering the u.s. will get their eyes scanned and finger printed. europe is following too, but i find americans to be much more accepting of authoritarianism, despite their claims of valuing freedom. i find it interesting that the asian american is refering to herself as american because in most european countries, they practice Jus sanguinis, meaning that you can be born in a country but not be a citizen. so they might not actually consider her to be american.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

When I went to Europe, I didn't expect to be loved just because I was American. Consequently, I just avoided the locals as much as possible and just concentrated on enjoying the sights. I'll go to the Philippines if I want to be treated like royalty.
polya
Junior Poster

Post by polya »

I see her point about how many people in Eastern Europe try to steal your money. I was severly ripped off in Prague by a taxi driver. Now I always find out the Emergency number for Police and have it pre-programmed into my cell phone BEFORE I travel. Also, I'm wary of people quoting me prices where I can't see their price list - especially people selling on the street and in markets. I usually just don't buy until I find a Wal-Mart type store. If people "throw the low ball" like the take-away guy in Hungary charging her 500 Kr for a container, I just say I have no money & don't buy off them. People have no qualms about ripping off tourists. But in the USA you just get ripped off by the Government (just try not paying your taxes or fines - see what happens). Also, tradespeople rip you off all the time - just watch those TV "sting" programmes on TV & see.

I think avoiding all of Eastern Europe was an over-reaction for losing a few euros. She should have just "wised-up".
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

OLU wrote:ii find it interesting that the asian american is refering to herself as american because in most european countries, they practice Jus sanguinis, meaning that you can be born in a country but not be a citizen. so they might not actually consider her to be american.
European countries are not nations of immigrants so sure they will practice Jus Sanguinis as applicable to their own countries. Not only that- you can be a citizen but you cannot become an "ethnic national" there. In Germany you can be a citizen but if you are ethnically Turkish and have a Turkish face, you are just not German. Only on paper you are. You must at least be half German etnically for people to see you as such. But it is not alwasy like that in all countries. In Ukraine, ethnic Russians who do not have Ukrainian names and who cannot speak the language well are never seen as Ukrainians. Even if several generations in the country. However, if they speak the language well and have local names, they will be seen as such. So, you can change your name and act local and you will be in. But that is as far as the local people treat each other on that soil. They do have different standards for Americans.

Educated people there do know that there is no real American and that all came from someplace else. So, yeah, an educated one will see her as an American. No problem. There are also dumbos who think that an American must be a blond blue eyed John Smith but she can easily explain to them that US Citizen and American is the same thing and who and what an Amercan is is decided by US Constitution. Such explanations worked for me when I met people who would tell me that I was not an American.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

ladislav wrote:
OLU wrote:ii find it interesting that the asian american is refering to herself as american because in most european countries, they practice Jus sanguinis, meaning that you can be born in a country but not be a citizen. so they might not actually consider her to be american.
European countries are not nations of immigrants so sure they will practice Jus Sanguinis as applicable to their own countries. Not only that- you can be a citizen but you cannot become an "ethnic national" there. In Germany you can be a citizen but if you are ethnically Turkish and have a Turkish face, you are just not German. Only on paper you are. You must at least be half German etnically for people to see you as such. But it is not alwasy like that in all countries. In Ukraine, ethnic Russians who do not have Ukrainian names and who cannot speak the language well are never seen as Ukrainians. Even if several generations in the country. However, if they speak the language well and have local names, they will be seen as such. So, you can change your name and act local and you will be in. But that is as far as the local people treat each other on that soil. They do have different standards for Americans.

Educated people there do know that there is no real American and that all came from someplace else. So, yeah, an educated one will see her as an American. No problem. There are also dumbos who think that an American must be a blond blue eyed John Smith but she can easily explain to them that US Citizen and American is the same thing and who and what an Amercan is is decided by US Constitution. Such explanations worked for me when I met people who would tell me that I was not an American.
My experience concurs. In Europe when I said I was from America, no one said "But you look Asian!" They usually understood that I was an Asian person who grew up in America, without getting confused. It's usually in Asia where people look confused when I say I'm from America (as if Asian people didn't exist in America lol) or if I say "I'm American". They think all Americans are white.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Robert77
Freshman Poster

Post by Robert77 »

let me put it in a few words

White washed Asian-American whore goes to Europe to feel more white and maybe hook up with a European blonde man and was disappointed by the fact that no one gave a shit about her presence there and no one gave a shit about the fact she was American.

I have met many Americans who go to other countries and get disappointed when they realize being American doesn't give them the status they were waiting to have.
World traveler, questions about women from a certain country? Ask!!! I can help
Robert77
Freshman Poster

Post by Robert77 »

ladislav wrote:You know the proverb- An elevator smells different to a midget.

4) She is a WOMAN. an Asian WOMAN. What does she need in Europe? Asian women have got it made in America. Hey, if I were an Asian woman in the US, why would I need to leave?
Asian women are the top of the crop in America, not in Europe...... after being in Europe for 8 years I have to say European men aren't as much into asian women as american while men are.

there are plenty of Asians in Europe and it's not that common to see many of the women married to local european men, and that is for several reasons.

1. asians in europe are not as racial as asians in america or just about any one in america, so they dont care about dating white men like asian american women would do.

2. in europe dating a white person is not a status symbol like it is in america, so european men dont have hordes of women after them like white american men do back in america.

3. asians in europe are more integrated into european culture and less white washed like they are in america, so they dont feel this need to marry whitey in order to feel part of the bunch.
World traveler, questions about women from a certain country? Ask!!! I can help
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster

Post by skateboardstephen »

I see her point about people in other countries all ways making smart ass jokes a sarcastic comments because you are American and they all ways assume you don't speak the language and are clueless of the culture and history.Brazilians have done this to me a couple of times.

One of my fiances annoying friends made some dumb ass comment about American football making fun of the ball and saying ''a ball is not worth anything unless it is round''(a soccer ball) and i just rolled my eyes.I don't even follow American football i am more inclined to follow soccer.I face palm every time i am greeted with ''Hi'' ...f**k i can speak Portuguese you ass.

And it is best to avoid mentioning America or making any comparisons or complaining about something about the country for it is a conflict of interest and it is like people are waiting for you to say anything they can twist around as an insult.I think people are jealous also.Especially the local men against American men because we usually have more money are materially better off and all the local women are in our face smiling.
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Many Hungarians don't like Asian-looking people because many Chinese people have come to Hungary and have set up successful businesses, so a lot of the local people are jealous of them and are resentful of them. Most Hungarians can't tell the difference between Japanese and Chinese, let alone between different kinds of Asians.

If that woman thinks that Budapest is dirty, then she should see some parts of China! lol

Everybody is different. I know Scandanavian people who have also had very bad experiences in Hungary. Each country requires a different personality for success. Appearance is very important, but it isn't everything. If this woman had had a better understanding of life in Hungary and hadn't had such a bitchy, entitled attitude, then she may have a had a different experience.

Few foreigners like the "I come from an English-speaking country, so I'm superior to you" attitude.

And if a person is subconsciously expecting that a foreign country will be exactly like the US, then guess what: he or she will be massively disappointed! If a person can't appreciate different cultures and different ways of life, he or she should bother travelling at all!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

i
n europe dating a white person is not a status symbol like it is in america, so european men dont have hordes of women after them like white american men do back in america.
Huh? Where is that happening? What state? White men have hordes of women after them?
It's usually in Asia where people look confused when I say I'm from America (as if Asian people didn't exist in America lol) or if I say "I'm American". They think all Americans are white.
It is a projection. A Korean thinks of his people as a yellow race with narrow eyes and a name like Byun Hyun Kim. Thus, logically, everyone else and, especially an American must also be a race- a white race with round eyes and names like John Smith. Makes sense. To them, that is.
Hungarians can't tell the difference between Japanese and Chinese, let alone between different kinds of Asians
Neither can Americans for that matter. Just go through any small town and see if the locals will be able to tell.