Is Winston Wrong About Taiwan- Entertaining Vice Videos

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Is Winston Wrong About Taiwan- Entertaining Vice Videos

Post by celery2010 »

This Vice Series video features Eddie Huang, a fat, but cool Taiwanese American dude uncovering cool stuff, parties and women around Taiwan. I just watched this video and the girls seem pretty responsive to Eddie. The party in Kenting around the 1:55 mark looks pretty good too.

These people don't look repressed to me(see specifically at 2:20). You have to FIND YOUR NICHE. This video is somewhat similar to the "vibe" i found in and around Dulan in Taiwan.

It also shows how VERY beautiful Taiwan is as a country as well. IMHO, the west coast is a lot more industrial, but the east coast and Kenting are as beautiful as California.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

I'd be curious to see how ol' Eddie does with the ladies... He's the the hip hop vide down pretty good. Maybe that's what it takes to get noticed with the hot young chicks in Taiwan?
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

Here's another example of how (asian) people thriving in East Asia. No problem meeting people and having fun.

celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

Videos of Asian noncomformists

celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

Eddie Huang (guy in the first video with the ladies (watch latter part of video)
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

I told Winston to visit Kenting years ago:
viewtopic.php?p=26473&highlight=kenting#26473

His reply was:

Winston wrote: Dude, anyone can post pictures like that. But let's look at reality here. It doesn't matter where I go in Taiwan. NO ONE IS GOING TO TALK TO ME. The only people that might are elderly people. With young people, esp women, there is ZERO eye contact, and if I walk up to them, they will avoid me cause they can sense that I want to speak with them and it scares them.
To me, everyone ignoring me is NO FUN at all! I hate that! But what can I do? People do not want to talk to me, even for business.
Get this. The other week I bought some boots for Dianne at a night market in TW. The girls didn't even want to help me, even though it was their job. So, TW girls won't even talk to me for BUSINESS REASONS!
That's worse than America, cause in America the women will talk to you if it's for business purposes!
MY GOD!
They looked grumpy and miserable. Maybe they were tired of being at the night market. But I certainly didn't bring out the best in them.
How can zero attention be fun for you?!
NO ONE talks to me. I get 0.000000000000000000000000000 social interaction.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Is Winston Wrong About Taiwan- Entertaining Vice Videos

Post by Rock »

celery2010 wrote:

This Vice Series video features Eddie Huang, a fat, but cool Taiwanese American dude uncovering cool stuff, parties and women around Taiwan. I just watched this video and the girls seem pretty responsive to Eddie. The party in Kenting around the 1:55 mark looks pretty good too.

These people don't look repressed to me(see specifically at 2:20). You have to FIND YOUR NICHE. This video is somewhat similar to the "vibe" i found in and around Dulan in Taiwan.

It also shows how VERY beautiful Taiwan is as a country as well. IMHO, the west coast is a lot more industrial, but the east coast and Kenting are as beautiful as California.
Wow, he totally looks like Winston's bro. Hey Winston, why can't u b cool and out of the box like him??? And try to learn his laugh too, he he he he! U, him, and yr. Vietnamese American buddy in Angeles could be the 3 musketeers!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

momopi wrote:I told Winston to visit Kenting years ago:
viewtopic.php?p=26473&highlight=kenting#26473

His reply was:

Winston wrote: Dude, anyone can post pictures like that. But let's look at reality here. It doesn't matter where I go in Taiwan. NO ONE IS GOING TO TALK TO ME. The only people that might are elderly people. With young people, esp women, there is ZERO eye contact, and if I walk up to them, they will avoid me cause they can sense that I want to speak with them and it scares them.
To me, everyone ignoring me is NO FUN at all! I hate that! But what can I do? People do not want to talk to me, even for business.
Get this. The other week I bought some boots for Dianne at a night market in TW. The girls didn't even want to help me, even though it was their job. So, TW girls won't even talk to me for BUSINESS REASONS!
That's worse than America, cause in America the women will talk to you if it's for business purposes!
MY GOD!
They looked grumpy and miserable. Maybe they were tired of being at the night market. But I certainly didn't bring out the best in them.
How can zero attention be fun for you?!
NO ONE talks to me. I get 0.000000000000000000000000000 social interaction.
I've been to Kenting many times. It's ok but nothing special. Kind of boring too, if you are alone.

In Taiwan, groups are everything. Individuals are nothing. The social scene is very restrictive.

You guys can't post staged television show with actors to try to portray real life. I could post Hollywood movies showing open and easy American girls are to meet and bed. But that wouldn't prove that you could go there and do the same.

If you want the truth, see my 7 reasons article in another thread. It is chillingly accurate. Even ryanx concurred, saying:
There is a lot of truth to what Winston says. I can attest to it as I have lived here for 4 years. There are of course exceptions and varying degrees but the general overall (slightly toned down) version of Winston descriptions does exist here.

Your perception and /or enjoyment of any situation will of course be affected by factors such as age, personality and specific circumstances, but I can largely concur with most of what he has observed.

Getting any kind of passion, spontaneity or warmth out of this culture is extreme hard work. Whereas in Philippines it just flows.

More later!
Btw Momopi, weren't you a bit naive when you came to Chiayi and you said that I should go out and find a group of regular friends, as if doing so were like picking a group of friends out of the supermarket? It's not like that in countries like this. We all know that. Even Rock got bad vibes from Chiayi. It's not a social place here. Even the Chiayi Couchsurfing group refuses to meet up or organize any get togethers. The vibe here makes everyone reclusive. Even Rock got bad vibes here.

Try to be more realistic next time Momopi. I've done everything you've suggested. It doesn't accomplish anything. If you don't fit in Taiwan and aren't a clique type person who thinks only in group hive mind, you aren't going to fit in Taiwan unless you get special attention.

Also, if I was a clique type of person, and did everything in cliques, then this website would not exist unless my "clique" set it up with me. lol
Last edited by Winston on January 2nd, 2013, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hey Celery,
You friggin liar! I just saw the 2:20 in the video that you posted. It showed some hip hop GUYS on stage with a tall ladyboy acting wild. It did NOT show local Taiwanese acting wild on stage, especially not prudish Taiwanese girls.

You liar! Your credibility is now shot.

Why don't you ask Eddie to flirt with girls in Taiwan or hit on them, without a camera crew behind him, using a hidden cam instead? And see what happens?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote: Btw Momopi, weren't you a bit naive when you came to Chiayi and you said that I should go out and find a group of regular friends, as if doing so were like picking a group of friends out of the supermarket? It's not like that in countries like this. We all know that. Even Rock got bad vibes from Chiayi. It's not a social place here. Even the Chiayi Couchsurfing group refuses to meet up or organize any get together. The vibe here makes everyone reclusive. Even Rock got bad vibes here.
Try to be more realistic next time Momopi. I've done everything you've suggested. It doesn't accomplish anything. If you don't fit in Taiwan and aren't a clique type person who thinks only in group hive mind, you aren't going to fit in Taiwan unless you get special attention.
Also, if I was a clique type of person, and did everything in cliques, then this website would not exist unless my "clique" set it up with me. lol

I have never lived in Chiayi and had no experience with locals. But I'm confident in my ability to seek and form groups of friends. If I fail to do so locally, I'd simply expand my area and look elsewhere. If I didn't like where I lived, I'd just move.

But, I'll say that I probably would not enjoy living in Chiayi, because it's too inland. I'm a "coastal" kind of person. I dislike Taipei, but did like Yilan. My relatives think I'm nuts since everyone wants to live in the city, and I'm the weirdo who prefers some BFG area on the coast.

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

momopi wrote:
Winston wrote: Btw Momopi, weren't you a bit naive when you came to Chiayi and you said that I should go out and find a group of regular friends, as if doing so were like picking a group of friends out of the supermarket? It's not like that in countries like this. We all know that. Even Rock got bad vibes from Chiayi. It's not a social place here. Even the Chiayi Couchsurfing group refuses to meet up or organize any get together. The vibe here makes everyone reclusive. Even Rock got bad vibes here.

I have never lived in Chiayi and had no experience with locals. But I'm confident in my ability to seek and form groups of friends. If I fail to do so locally, I'd simply expand my area and look elsewhere. If I didn't like where I lived, I'd just move.

But, I'll say that I probably would not enjoy living in Chiayi, because it's too inland. I'm a "coastal" kind of person. I dislike Taipei, but did like Yilan. My relatives think I'm nuts since everyone wants to live in the city, and I'm the weirdo who prefers some BFG area on the coast.
To me, Chiayi is like a Taiwanese version of the area where Deliverance was filmed, lol.
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Could it be something to do with the negative and aggressive if not down right hatred filled vibe that you project Winston that is causing this negative reception you're getting from the ladies in TW? You know people and specially girls can sense that. I'm also surprised reading your constant whinning about women in TW as I've read a lot of guys who go there to live, work and vacation and are reporting that they are having a blast and girls are very receptive to them. TW is even being touted as one of the best places in Asia to live, due to the low cost of living yet high industrialisation and very receptive sexy Asian girls. Something doesn't add up here...

But all in all, if you feel you are not valued nor liked where you are then you need to go where you are desired. Find your niche, go check China, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia etc...
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Rock wrote: To me, Chiayi is like a Taiwanese version of the area where Deliverance was filmed, lol.
I don't think that I've seen that movie, but will add to my list to watch.

Coming from a rural background in Changhua, I don't mind living in rural towns. However most of the outdoor activities that I like are coastal, so that's a limiting factor. i.e.:

Swimming
Snorkeling
Boating
Fishing
Crabbing (*)
Lobster Hooping (*)
Beach
Bonfires on the beach
Fish tacos
etc.

(*) For those who are unfamiliar:

Back in 2009-2010, I had a sweet gig where I only worked 6 hours/day and went to work at 6am-1pm. The office was ~15 mins away on surface street and the road to the beach was halfway. In that Summer I think I went to the beach almost every day after work, and ate at happy hour prices before going home. Then my boss had the bright idea of making me the 100% traveling consultant and sent me to the great frozen north. X_X