Republic of the Philippines Not as it Seems

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Jester wrote:
Rock wrote:
pete98146 wrote:I did get one PM! Any others?
OK, I just sent u a PM so now u have at least 2.
So ROCK in TAIWAN would prefer a Certified Phillie?!!!!

Winston, getcho a** OUTATHERE!!
Why do you say that? Do you know what I wrote to Pete? Anyway, if I could be with whoever I wanted, it would probably be a certain type of white girl or NE Asian looking girl. But white girls the world over seem to either be too difficult or too full of themselves. So perhaps that type white girl does not exist.

Even Phils. has some NE Asian and even whitish (mixed blood) looking natives by the way. And Thailand has even a lot more girls with the NE Asian look.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Jester wrote:
Rock wrote:

BTW, Pete suggested another country for me even tho I might meet the criterion he listed out before. Even according to him, Phils. is not right for everyone, even among those who are qualified.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Rock wrote:
Jester wrote:
Rock wrote:

BTW, Pete suggested another country for me even tho I might meet the criterion he listed out before. Even according to him, Phils. is not right for everyone, even among those who are qualified.
What I meant is that even a guy who lives in an Asian paradise full of Western-fever Chinese girls STILL thinks the Phils are the place to bride-hunt. A lot of threads here paint China as paradise, there you are in Taiwan, yet open to hunting in the Phils.

Btw please forgive me getting personal, not that it's my business, but....
(1) what race are you and what nationality
(2) what country would be the alternative for you than Phils (per Pete)?

My guesses... For longlegged white/North Asian, there's Mongolia and Central Asia..... for mixed-Chinese without the Commie background or HK attitude maybe Malaysia?
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

pete98146 wrote:
Banano wrote:As Ive stated before PH is only good for men who are in their 50s+,
PH women are not attractive, short and chances are you will always be with some kind of poor chick from poor family, their diet sucks too.
They are boring to talk to, no deep conversations...
<--------------------- Banano.....wrong! Had I listened to crap like this I would never have met my wife.

Quick question to you forum members. How many of you guys are in a position to meet and marry a pretty, educated, smart and sweet filipina? Unfortunately I'd venture to say less than 10% of you are in the market for a wife. The rest of you are made up of the following:

1. P4P hounds
2. Not financially stable
3. Too young
4. Have sworn off all women
5. Too emotionally damaged, immature or selfish for a relationship
6. Not into Asian women

I've walked enough guys thru the process of meeting a QUALITY filipina. Really it's not that difficult if you know what you are doing. So I will challenge you guys who ARE looking. Send me a PM and I'll bet we can find an amazing filipina wife within a year.

Sadly this is a forum full of doubters. If you are not one of the 1-6 above send me a PM! I love to help. But I won't hold my breath....bet I don't get one single PM...lol.
1. I Dabble, that's it I can take it or leave it.
2. Well, even unemployed I make more money than most people in developing nations...
3. Define too young? You mean sexless 20something going to PI?
4. Never
5. Hey its Banano demanding they be virgins, highly unrealistic. He should be on Christian Mingle if that's what he wants
6. Correctamundo!
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Jester wrote:
Rock wrote:
Jester wrote:
Rock wrote:

What I meant is that even a guy who lives in an Asian paradise full of Western-fever Chinese girls STILL thinks the Phils are the place to bride-hunt. A lot of threads here paint China as paradise, there you are in Taiwan, yet open to hunting in the Phils.

Btw please forgive me getting personal, not that it's my business, but....
(1) what race are you and what nationality
(2) what country would be the alternative for you than Phils (per Pete)?

My guesses... For longlegged white/North Asian, there's Mongolia and Central Asia..... for mixed-Chinese without the Commie background or HK attitude maybe Malaysia?
Pete suggested Colombia or Brazil (the 2 countries he has experience w/in SA) given my preference for taller and curvier girls.

Taipei was a real dating paradise for me when I was a younger white guy. But much after 30 (well Monkro still looks under 30 even tho he's past that), you've pretty much aged out. Cus like 85% or more of the cuties and hotties you see everywhere happen to be late teens/early 20s bracket. It seems local girls largely diminish from public site by mid-to-late 20s - perhaps stay home, w/bf/husband/family/career.

I've been to capital of Mongolia and visited the surrounding countryside. There are indeed some hot girls there. But the weather outside of mid-summer gets brutally cold. If you don't speak Mongolian or Russian, it's very non-user friendly. You pretty much need to hire a translator from Mormon community. Plus, local guys are rough and like to fight when they drink. Sometimes they randomly kick the shit out of foreigners (esp. Chinese but also whites sometimes) just for kicks. It's not the kinda country you can just chill in month in and month out like Phils. or Thai.

I've read a bit about some of the Central Asian republics. Again, big barriers with language, weather, infrastructure, and perhaps longer term visas. It seems the default for foreign visitors in those areas usually boils down to some form of P4P. But you never know for sure till you go and see for yourself.

Phils is going to be so much easier and more user friendly for a monolingual English speaker from the west. But if you want girls who resemble some of the more attractive specimens from some of others countries mentioned above, you will need to look long, hard, and patiently.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Rock wrote:
Pete suggested Colombia or Brazil (the 2 countries he has experience w/in SA) given my preference for taller and curvier girls.

Taipei was a real dating paradise for me when I was a younger white guy. But much after 30 (well Monkro still looks under 30 even tho he's past that), you've pretty much aged out. Cus like 85% or more of the cuties and hotties you see everywhere happen to be late teens/early 20s bracket. It seems local girls largely diminish from public site by mid-to-late 20s - perhaps stay home, w/bf/husband/family/career.

I've been to capital of Mongolia and visited the surrounding countryside. There are indeed some hot girls there. But the weather outside of mid-summer gets brutally cold. If you don't speak Mongolian or Russian, it's very non-user friendly. You pretty much need to hire a translator from Mormon community. Plus, local guys are rough and like to fight when they drink. Sometimes they randomly kick the shit out of foreigners (esp. Chinese but also whites sometimes) just for kicks. It's not the kinda country you can just chill in month in and month out like Phils. or Thai.

I've read a bit about some of the Central Asian republics. Again, big barriers with language, weather, infrastructure, and perhaps longer term visas. It seems the default for foreign visitors in those areas usually boils down to some form of P4P. But you never know for sure till you go and see for yourself.

Phils is going to be so much easier and more user friendly for a monolingual English speaker from the west. But if you want girls who resemble some of the more attractive specimens from some of others countries mentioned above, you will need to look long, hard, and patiently.
Thanks.
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

I guess i missed this thread somehow and want to comment on it. I also want to say that ph visitor's comments about money and responsibility making him miserable were interesting and eye-opening.

My main comment is that Malate/Ermita is one of the tourist ghettos of the world that piss people off.
Examples: Tijuana, Mexico, Tangiers, Morocco, the main backpacker/tourist area of Delhi, India and a few other places that i can't think of off the top of my head.
Now i reckon that Ph visitor's experiences were true, but it doesn't sound like he left Malate/Ermita his entire trip.
This is like visiting Tijuana and saying that Mexico sucks. Or visiting Cancun and saying that Mexico was expensive.

Malate/Ermita is a dump. There are active groups of "child pickpocketers", and the local bars are all rip off clip joints set up for tourists. Its really ugly and there are few of the friendly little convenience stores and cheap little restaurants as in the rest of the PI. In other words, it sounds just like Tijuana.

I think that this is where the disconnect is.

Yet these these are still true:
1. Costs are relatively higher.
2. The food sucks, even at the "better" restaurants.
3. Attractive women, although they exist, you have to dig more than you should to find them.

However to counter Ph visitors' comments:

1. In manila, the best places to visit are Ortigas, 2 other places whose names escape me at the moment, Cubao and Quezon City, IMHO. These are more middle/upper middle class areas. The Fort in Bonifacio and Greenbelt are positively sparkling. Even nicer than being in someplace like Dallas or Miami.

Although the country in general is not THAT nice, the wealthy live very well, and standards for them are high.

2. In most miserably poor, overpopulated countries, the huge capital is NOT a great place, due to overcrowding and bad conditions. Lagos, Nigeria, Jakarta, Quito, Ecuador etc are good examples. Even Bangkok 20 years ago was a real hole. There was no subway system and the traffic was horrendous.

3. In the Robinson Mall in Malate, there is a grill place in the main supermarket that will grill a massive amount of veggies with some meat for about 100 pesos or so. The other restaurants are overpriced, only the food court offers decent options. You best bet in the PI is fish with vegetables or fruit. They usually do not deep fry the fish, and as an island nation, the fish is good.

4. As far as women go in the PI, it is not so much that all PI women are stunning, it is how open, friendly and accessible they are. Even the working girls/freelancers are very open and do not act like working girls. It is true "gfe". In places like China and other parts of Asia, women can be rather emotionless. The PI is a breath of fresh air in this regard.

Even Winston notes this. In the PI, the people are open and approachable. I never had issues, except in Manila of course. If you go to the smaller cities and islands, they are very hospitable. Of course you won't see this in Manila. It is like trying to see friendly Nebraskans and Texans in Times Square or Hollywood. Of course your image of the country will be skewed.

Continued in next post
Last edited by celery2010 on February 2nd, 2013, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

celery2010 wrote:I guess i missed this thread somehow and want to comment on it. I also want to say that ph visitor's comments about money and responsibility making him miserable were interesting and eye-opening.

My main comment is that Malate/Ermita is one of the tourist ghettos of the world that piss people off.
Examples: Tijuana, Mexico, Tangiers, Morocco, the main backpacker/tourist area of Delhi, India and a few other places that i can't think of off the top of my head.
Now i reckon that Ph visitor's experiences were true, but it doesn't sound like he left Malate/Ermita his entire trip.
This is like visiting Tijuana and saying that Mexico sucks. Or visiting Cancun and saying that Mexico was expensive.

I think that this is where the disconnect is.

Yet these these are still true:
1. Costs are relatively higher.
2. The food sucks, even at the "better" restaurants.
3. Attractive women, although they exist, you have to dig more than you should to find them.

However to counter Ph visitors' comments:

1. In manila, the best places to visit are Ortigas, 2 other places whose names escape me at the moment, Cubao and Quezon City, IMHO. These are more middle/upper middle class areas. The Fort in Bonifacio and Greenbelt are positively sparkling. Even nicer than being in someplace like Dallas or Miami.

Although the country in general is not THAT nice, the wealthy live very well, and standards for them are high.

2. In most miserably poor, overpopulated countries, the huge capital is NOT a great place, due to overcrowding and bad conditions. Lagos, Nigeria, Jakarta, Quito, Ecuador etc are good examples. Even Bangkok 20 years ago was a real hole. There was no subway system and the traffic was horrendous.

3. In the Robinson Mall in Malate, there is a grill place in the main supermarket that will grill a massive amount of veggies with some meat for about 100 pesos or so. The other restaurants are overpriced, only the food court offers decent options. You best bet in the PI is fish with vegetables or fruit. They usually do not deep fry the fish, and as an island nation, the fish is good.

4. As far as women go in the PI, it is not so much that all PI women are stunning, it is how open, friendly and accessible they are. Even the working girls/freelancers are very open and do not act like working girls. It is true "gfe". In places like China and other parts of Asia, women can be rather emotionless. The PI is a breath of fresh air in this regard.

Even Winston notes this. In the PI, the people are open and approachable. I never had issues, except in Manila of course. If you go to the smaller cities and islands, they are very hospitable. Of course you won't see this in Manila. It is like trying to see friendly Nebraskans and Texans in Times Square or Hollywood. Of course your image of the country will be skewed.

Continued in next post
Thanks and looking forward to your further comments
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

http://www.greenwindowsdormitel.com/davao/

Here is a nice hotel and dormitel (hostel) in Davao where beds will go for 188 pesos. Of course, they are hard to get at that price, and you must reserve far in advance. Otherwise, you can get one for around 250 pesos. If you click on the "rooms" tab, you can see the pics. They also have regular hotel rooms. It's fairly nice.

http://davaoetcetera.blogspot.com/2009/ ... t-inn.html

Here is a hotel i stayed at for about 500 pesos ($12). I had an air conditioned single with cable TV. Not particularly nice, but not bad. 800 pesos would have gotten me a pretty nice room at a more tourist class hotel. Not quite as nice as the 100Y hotel i stayed in Datong (somewhat near Beijing), but hotels are generally more expensive in China, running closer to 200Y for a decent place. The hotel had a cafe in front with wifi and lots of cute middle class tourists staying there. The prices are outdated.

I also had some very nice vegetarian meals in Puerto Princesa with main dishes running from 35-70 pesos. The meals were healthy and greaseless. Another person i ran into told me that he ate like a king for cheap in Baguio. Of course, the portions were not that big, so it would run me 75-140 pesos ($2-$3.50). Even in Thailand and China, meals would usually run similar in costs as portions are also small in thailand and China.

Another point i have is that although costs are higher in the PI, they are not that much higher than in China or Thailand. Outside of Manila or other tourist or upper class ghettos, costs in the PI are actually quite reasonable. One thing in particular that is a good deal is meat. You can often get a solid 4-6 oz of meat for 60-70 pesos in a restaurant in the smaller cities. This is quite difficult in the rest of Asia.

For example, tourist attractions are INSANELY expensive in China. It costs 150Y or $25 to see the Terracotta Warriors in Xian. I often saw attractions in the PI for $1-$3. In Shanghai, in the local food courts, a meal can run $4-$5. And quality wise it was not as good as the meal i had for 12Y in a restaurant in Gansu.

One other thing is that the PI is more like the US or a Latin country, very class divided. I can't emphasize enough how different places like the Fort (Bonifacio), Ortigas and places like that are from Ermita/Malate/Chinatown. It is like going to central Detroit and thinking how dumpy Michigan is. Most people in metro Detroit live in nice places like Birmingham or Troy and go out in Royal Oak. They never go downtown. It's the same in Manila.

Finally, of course the PI isn't for everyone. For example, some guys from America think that most Asian girls are ugly but find their minds change when they spend some time in Asia. It's because the Asian women in America aren't as attractive nor as widespread as they are in Asia. Some guys love NE asian women yet some think they are ugly. It is the same with PI women.

As far as unattractive PI women, i agree that finding attractive ones can sometimes be difficult, but they do exist. And the attractive ones are very attractive IMO. I was in the PI for nearly a month. It did take awhile to start seeing the attractive women.

The real big advantage with the PI is really the language and culture. Everyone speaks English and the culture is often very Americanized. This alone makes for a very big contrast with a place like Mainland China, where people who don't speak Mandarin are in a very different situation as compared to countries like the PI or Thailand where English is more prevalent
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

My last comments about the Philippines is that if you were to settle there, i would highly recommend that you stay close to a beach, choose a smaller city or choose Cebu or Davao if you prefer a major city.

As with any country, some of the best experiences you will have will be in the sticks. The Philippines is a truly a country of islands, 7000 of them. Some of them are truly gorgeous and come close to being a Pacific paradise. You can travel between them them by boat, which was awesome at times.

I recommend anyone to visit the more isolated ones, rather than the major touristed ones. I visited a nice small island, there was a road around the coastline of the entire island and it was no longer than 40-50km, maybe 30 something miles. I rented a moped and drove the entire island and saw beautiful houses on the beach, drank coconut water and went into the interior of the island. I also went for a few good hikes, lost where i put my bike and went into a house and met a friendly "rastafarian" type filipino.

I don't think that they had that much money, but they had their own house (that was pretty nice actually) and a few motorbikes and a nice looking wife. I think that their lifestyle was actually pretty good. I also ran into a bohemian style couple from a major city a few hours away who were also mopeding around the island. It was awesome.

Palawan was also really beautiful to moped around (not in the tourist areas, meaning not el nido) and very unspoilt in may areas.

Some of the smaller towns were also great and more laid back. However, most cities in the PI are not that nice, unless you are in the nice part of town.
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

The problem is that you guys don't have an "in".

You will be lost for a good time of your stay in the Philippines before the country opens up to you. Manila is huge and it aint fun without local help.

I suggest actually living there doing something productive and not just loitering around. From what I know from this culture (early half my life here) you need to be socially proofed. The negative reality is: you will never be accepted here as a local. One reason is that the socialization period starts young and develops all the way to ends of adulthood and is the basis of the social unit, and from there your ability to branch out to other social units. Outsiders are not privy on that, not even half filipinos born outside are privy on that.

Philippines beats other Asian countries if you have the "in". It takes time. So bring plenty of cash. And for God's sake, do something living related asides from loitering around writing reviews of places. Don't be old either. Just honest.
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

Also a tip: when interacting with someone from Manila, someone who is probably middle class upwards, always assume that they think of you as a whore monger. The trick is not to mention Angeles city. Angeles city is the lowest of low for a foreigner and highway to toxicity in Manila. Make no mention of GIRLS. I REPEAT: MAKE NO MENTION OF GIRLS! Always have a story of why you are in the city (work in foreign national) and you will find people opening up to you.

Also, as I have said, realize that you will always be a foreigner. Heck even white guys in Filipino parties married to Filipinas have whore monger vibe to them, and it takes enormous interactions to actually have them integrated to the family. I have an Australian uncle, and only recently considered him part of my family, and not that dude who got the lowest fruit of the family -- this is after he became a grand father.

Philippines is a closed society, it really is. I guess decades of foreign influences had made social units hostile to anything foreign. It does not help foreigners keep hitting on the ugliest girls and end up marrying them. This is the image of foreigners to the locals. The only way out really is to be working for a multinational and be an economic success and be part of your own community (ie: european, indian) AND THEN create a slow transition towards locals.

Also be mindful of who you marry! There are girls who become ego-filled when they marry foreigners and this becomes social poison for her entire clan. It aint easy to navigate this society, but keep trying and you'll crack it wide open. I've seen foreigners who get our respect, and local respect, but they have earned it. The Philippines is theirs!!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

mguy wrote:The only way out really is to be working for a multinational and be an economic success
:idea: :shock: :idea:

Now why didn't *I* think of that!

;)
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

mguy wrote:Also a tip: when interacting with someone from Manila, someone who is probably middle class upwards, always assume that they think of you as a whore monger. The trick is not to mention Angeles city. Angeles city is the lowest of low for a foreigner and highway to toxicity in Manila. Make no mention of GIRLS. I REPEAT: MAKE NO MENTION OF GIRLS! Always have a story of why you are in the city (work in foreign national) and you will find people opening up to you.

Also, as I have said, realize that you will always be a foreigner. Heck even white guys in Filipino parties married to Filipinas have whore monger vibe to them, and it takes enormous interactions to actually have them integrated to the family. I have an Australian uncle, and only recently considered him part of my family, and not that dude who got the lowest fruit of the family -- this is after he became a grand father.

Philippines is a closed society, it really is. I guess decades of foreign influences had made social units hostile to anything foreign. It does not help foreigners keep hitting on the ugliest girls and end up marrying them. This is the image of foreigners to the locals. The only way out really is to be working for a multinational and be an economic success and be part of your own community (ie: european, indian) AND THEN create a slow transition towards locals.

Also be mindful of who you marry! There are girls who become ego-filled when they marry foreigners and this becomes social poison for her entire clan. It aint easy to navigate this society, but keep trying and you'll crack it wide open. I've seen foreigners who get our respect, and local respect, but they have earned it. The Philippines is theirs!!

Few will listen to your advice here, but there are ways to define yourself as non-monger (Which is the default assumption for foreigners) as you say- don't mention girls and DON"T ACT LIKE A MONGER! There is a certain language, attitude, even body posture that says MONGER. Be very clearly about something that is NOT girls, bars and booze. Dress well, especially your shoes.

And Angeles City? LOL Whoretown! Imagine saying to someone, "I live in whoretown." I make the same assumption.
Be involved in something bigger than yourself. We were very involved last year with relief in the immediate aftermath of typhoon Sendong in CDO- horrific. We donated tons of rice and thousands of bottles of water and assorted things like plastic sheeting and we set up some community kitchens in two barangays. Now more than a year later, it seems nearly every week someone says something to me if I am in CDO- something typhoon relief related.

I think much of your advice is wasted on most though, the majority of the foreign men I see here, both Americans and Europeans, are pretty low grade people...well suited to something like Angeles City...

outwest
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Thank you Celery for your very wise insight on how to get the most out of the Philippines. I agree with everything you wrote. I will follow your suggestions and tips when I get there. I will go there with the main intention of starting a business which will also benefit the local community by employing some of them.

Outwest,
I love reading your posts about living in the Phils. You're one of my favorite posters in here as your posts are always wise, intelligent, informative and respectful. Please continue to drop your golden nuggets!