How do I renew my US drivers license overseas?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Winston
Site Admin

How do I renew my US drivers license overseas?

Post by Winston »

From my dad:
Dear Win,

Our tenant mailed us some mails from US. There are 2 mails need your attention right away.

1). Your driver license will be expired on 3/10/2010. You can renew it through internet http://www.dot.wa.gov. You will need your license #, your SSN and credit card to renew it. The renewal fee is $25.

2). A letter from Citi credit card that they will charge an annual fee of $60 effective April 1st. Do you really need your Citi card and paying $60 for it? You can call 1-866-915-9425 to close your card. I highly recommend you do that.

Please remember to move around. Do not sit down especially right after meal.

Love,
Dad
So I can renew my drivers license online? If so, how do I get it? Will they send it to me overseas? Anyone do this before?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Travel Dude
Freshman Poster

Post by Travel Dude »

Winston, when I was in Peru, New York State (where I lived before) would not allow me to renew my drivers license being that I was living overseas and I was no longer a resident of the state (because I was out of NY for more than 6 months). I am sure most states are like that.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Well I already renewed it online and they already sent it to me.

How do you tell the US government that you live overseas though or set your status as an Expatriate?

I mean, what if you get a jury duty notice or fail to pay for Obama's new healthcare plan? How do you exempt yourself from those things?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Winston wrote: I mean, what if you get a jury duty notice
You write a letter to the judge who is in charge of the court which summoned you and explain to him or her that you are living overseas now. There is something that says you can get out of jury duty if you can prove that it creates "undo hardship" for you. Living half-way around the world or being busy with university classes are good excuses.
Winston wrote: fail to pay for Obama's new healthcare plan? How do you exempt yourself from those things?
Eh, I don't follow US news. What are you talking about? Isn't this just part of the taxes Americans have to pay (if they have to pay them)?
milltime15
Freshman Poster

Obama's healthcare

Post by milltime15 »

Hey Winston, I wouldn't worry about paying taxes on any healthcare plan...I am sure which ever country you are living in now has been providing your healthcare for free.
milltime15
Freshman Poster

Post by milltime15 »

And Travel Dude! I grew up in Plattsburgh, NY!!
eramh
Freshman Poster

Re: How do I renew my US drivers license overseas?

Post by eramh »

Hi Winston....May I ask how you were able to renew the NY license without living or being there? We just moved abroad and are having the same issue.