It's (no) more fun in the Philippines.

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

publicduende wrote:
davewe wrote:My good friend and his Pinay wife, who at first were going to definitely retire in PI, now are leaning toward staying in the US. Why? He likes walking on sidewalks and in parks. That's literally the biggest thing he misses when he goes abroad. Me? I couldn't care less about that. I'll walk on the beach and look at the ocean and cute girls.
Sorry Dave, I know this might be a pedantic remark on a relatively minor point in the bigger picture but, couldn't help thinking as I read the above - the Philippines have 7000 islands and islets of outstanding natural beauty, with a mangrove forest or a coral reef never too far, and your good friend is missing leafy sidewalks and man-manicured urban parks? :)
I agree with both, I'll take the latter any day of the week. Give me a double outrigger canoe to an isolated island, with a cute sunkissed honey and a cooler of beer and I'll be a very happy man.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

@Banano,

You are a little out-of-line here. That country has almost 100 million people in it with the rich government keep the wealth among themselves and not every Filipino that expats from the RP is sending money back to their families. They live and die by the Catholic mantras of Anti-abortion and Be Fruitful & Multiply so they have an overpopulaton vs. GDP scalable problem. They are a displaced node of Latin America in four different seas and an ocean; Spain just recognized the Philippines as part of the Spanish legacy worldwide just a few years ago.

You were blessed to be born & raised in the Anglo Big 5 (Anglosphere). Kinda of like the 80s Big East Champsionship: Villanova Wildcats is New Zealand....the UK is the Syrcause Orangemen...the USA is St. John's.....et al.

I don't see you talking s.hit about Chinese whom hack-up phlegm and splat it to the ground at that moment no matter what! In Santiago de Chile, the cab drivers piss right by their taxi's while they are on extended break in fear of losing a potential customer. In NYC, they don't allow people to use public bathrooms so you have to p.iss in the streets which leads to being fined by NYPD pork patrol (if caught). The actions of these people (except the NYPD) are pragmatic IMHO.

So if you feel that Filipinos are nasty, then you have not hit not even a fifth of the spectrum of filthy people based on their respective nations.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 1st, 2019, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jtest28
Freshman Poster

Post by jtest28 »

Banano wrote: Image
When I was in the Philippines, my fiance and I were eating in a restaurant at a window table, and across the street, I saw a girl pull down her pants all the way to her ankles and pee in front of everybody. LOL
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

hammanta wrote:
publicduende wrote:
davewe wrote:My good friend and his Pinay wife, who at first were going to definitely retire in PI, now are leaning toward staying in the US. Why? He likes walking on sidewalks and in parks. That's literally the biggest thing he misses when he goes abroad. Me? I couldn't care less about that. I'll walk on the beach and look at the ocean and cute girls.
Sorry Dave, I know this might be a pedantic remark on a relatively minor point in the bigger picture but, couldn't help thinking as I read the above - the Philippines have 7000 islands and islets of outstanding natural beauty, with a mangrove forest or a coral reef never too far, and your good friend is missing leafy sidewalks and man-manicured urban parks? :)
I agree with both, I'll take the latter any day of the week. Give me a double outrigger canoe to an isolated island, with a cute sunkissed honey and a cooler of beer and I'll be a very happy man.
Yep I agree for sure. It is just interesting to see what people consider important or deal breakers.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Your right. The Philippines is a horrible place filled with horny, happy teens that just use you for sex.

davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Taco wrote:Your right. The Philippines is a horrible place filled with horny, happy teens that just use you for sex.

I love flying Cebu Pacific!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

What a fun people they are!

I really love that.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Jester wrote:What a fun people they are!

I really love that.
Typical Latin-Filipino axis. Never take yourself too seriously...
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

davewe wrote:
Taco wrote:Your right. The Philippines is a horrible place filled with horny, happy teens that just use you for sex.

I can think of some airlines I don't want to fly. China Airways, the stewardess is sexy, but a little intense.

Or American Airlines, the stewardess is ugly, angry and crazy.

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 1st, 2019, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Ghost wrote:
publicduende wrote:
Jester wrote:What a fun people they are!

I really love that.
Typical Latin-Filipino axis. Never take yourself too seriously...
Or take anything at all seriously. And don't ever try to build a better life because God will take care of it. And don't work because you can just steal.

That kind of culture may seem fun at first, but there is a massive underbelly to it.
I agree. Filipino culture is terrible.

OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Taco wrote:
davewe wrote:

I can think of some airlines I don't want to fly. China Airways, the stewardess is sexy, but a little intense.

Or American Airlines, the stewardess is ugly, angry and crazy.

American FAs? Mostly burned out truckstop waitresses in the sky...
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 1st, 2019, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Ghost wrote:Or take anything at all seriously. And don't ever try to build a better life because God will take care of it. And don't work because you can just steal.

That kind of culture may seem fun at first, but there is a massive underbelly to it.
Not to move the post of the discussion, but US society and culture too have a lot to be hated about. There seems to be a measure of Catholic fatalism ("the Divine Providence will take care of it, as long as we're good people") in Filipinos, but it's really only attributable to ignorance and mental laziness, certainly not to a deeply felt religious belief.

The hard core of productive people in the Philippines are all educated at Jesuit schools and universities. They have access to an extremely rigorous process or intellectual and moral education and they are taught very well that hard work and compassion for the weak are key to success in life. Unfortunately, that is and remains an elite, however powerful it might be.

I was lucky enough to meet a few of these men and women in Davao and I can assure you that their mix of intellectual and human qualities is almost impossible to find anywhere else in Asia, especially in those societies shaped by Confucianist or Hindu philosophies, and probably even in many Western countries.