Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Re: Cuba the next philippines

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

Last edited by newlifeinphilippines on May 18th, 2020, 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on March 2nd, 2020, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Last edited by newlifeinphilippines on May 18th, 2020, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on March 2nd, 2020, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Last edited by newlifeinphilippines on May 18th, 2020, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on March 2nd, 2020, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

newlifeinphilippines wrote: Language can come years down the road if you wind up settling into some country but I wouldn't bother with it unless i was living there for years. You may not even find what you want and leave the country and then you learned it for nothing.
I agree with you.
Language studies might be time-waste. You cannot learn all languages you maybe might find occasionally useful for you in this or that country.

I am native German speaker, but can communicate fluently in English and Japanese, as I am working since more than 35 years in Japan, the knowledge of English, Japanese and written Chinese too is necessary for my salary. Otherwise, without German, English, Japanese and some written Chinese I could not do my job.

I speak Malay and French too, but I am not so fluent as I am not using these 2 languages frequently. It's more a hobby for me, as I like these 2 languages and have friends who are native French and Malay speakers.

In school I had to study Latin, nothing left, all forgotten.

I am visiting Thailand since over 40 years, have my own rooms there but I cannot speak Thai nor I am interested into studying this language.
I never met a Thai (regardless if rich businessman or poor bargirl) who prefers a foreigner who can speak Thai but has no money to a foreigner who cannot speak Thai but has money...The Thai rule towards foreigners is 1st = money, 2nd = language. Always.

As I have my own rooms in Pattaya and are able to pay my bills, I do not need Thai. It is up to the service staff in Thailand to try to communicate in English with me, surely nobody can expect a Western tourist to speak Thai.

To learn Thai? Not impossible, but in my situation for what should this good for? I have other things to do during my holidays.
The Thai bank pays my bills (electricity, water etc.) as long as there is money in my account, the house administration gives me a bilingual bill for building maintenance, I expect medical doctors in a private hospital to speak some foreign languages, the Thai service shop keeps my motorcycle in good condition etc.

My fosterdaugher is a Filipina, now 20 and in university, and I cannot speak Tagalog, I refuse even to learn a single word and push my fosterdaughter in Cebu since we met the first time to do her best to study hard to become really proficient in correct English and to use English daily, spoken and written. Why? Because Tagalog is rather worthless for me, but good English might be helpful for her future employment.

To learn or not learn a foreign language depends on many circumstances, especially how frequently you might use it. Without exercise it is a knowledge which is quickly forgotten again.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

I have never been to Cuba but I have met a few Cuban people and, from what I can gather, Cuban are too proud and smart a people to fit into the "US cultural colonialism" mould.

Sure, there will be some women who will continue to give themselves away to foreign mongers because of poverty and desperation. Yet, the vast majority of the women (and the men!) will not make any discount for blue/Western passport holders.

Many of us like to think that Cubans are still steeped in Soviet-era propaganda about the perils of capitalism, but secretly admire the US system and look forward to being a part of it. From what I know Cubans are well-read and well-educated and, despite their limited Internet access, do have a full picture on the current state of world affairs.

They know, as many of us know, that the US and the Anglo-zionist style of capitalism are gasping their last breaths and associating themselves with an empire during its inevitable decline will bring no good.

If a cultural shift will happen in the short term, it would be more along the lines of a reapproach to "isolated" Russia, following the examples of other Latin American powerhouses like Brazil and Chile.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Ghost wrote:I'm not fluent in anything yet but English. My Spanish is so-so and I know enough Chinese to get around a city. My Tagalog never developed much because most Filipinos will just use English regardless. But I took an interest and learned some basics. My point was that if you don't take an interest - to some extent - then you're keeping yourself too much on the outside of things.

If you want to just whore around, then don't learn anything. If you want something more, you need to become something more.

Playing the tourist role forever leaves you wide open as a target. It will appeal to a certain low-quality type of female. As a temporary thing, yes, of course, that's what it's good for. But you keep saying now that you want a wife, and you're 180 degrees from that mode in practice.
Yes but once again who would learn a language for ONE country that they may or may not even want to stay in long term. That is being a beta male. Now if you actually do marry a girl and settle in that is one thing but vacationing or your first couple years i think is silly to even bother with language. I mean unless your the type that can learn a new language in one month then more power to you and im sure it could come in handy at times for women who dont know english but im not that type so I wont even try. I could get sick of a country after 3 or 5 years and not find someone and decide to leave, you never know. And im sure playing dumb foreigner like i said can add to the initial attraction for many women.
Last edited by newlifeinphilippines on December 19th, 2014, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

publicduende wrote:I have never been to Cuba but I have met a few Cuban people and, from what I can gather, Cuban are too proud and smart a people to fit into the "US cultural colonialism" mould.

Sure, there will be some women who will continue to give themselves away to foreign mongers because of poverty and desperation. Yet, the vast majority of the women (and the men!) will not make any discount for blue/Western passport holders.

Many of us like to think that Cubans are still steeped in Soviet-era propaganda about the perils of capitalism, but secretly admire the US system and look forward to being a part of it. From what I know Cubans are well-read and well-educated and, despite their limited Internet access, do have a full picture on the current state of world affairs.

They know, as many of us know, that the US and the Anglo-zionist style of capitalism are gasping their last breaths and associating themselves with an empire during its inevitable decline will bring no good.

If a cultural shift will happen in the short term, it would be more along the lines of a reapproach to "isolated" Russia, following the examples of other Latin American powerhouses like Brazil and Chile.

If there ever was a case for being a "God" I think we found it due to a instant influx they have never seen before. Yeah after russia fell it was a great place to meet women. So of course cuban would be the same but even moreso probably cause cubans are far more isolated and poor than russians were. Well its hard to get the stats bu t at the moment they are poorer than russians but Im not sure how they compared in the early 90's when the USSR was still around. But cuba is in a time warp so even if economics was the same they are quite backwards which would make foreigners more appealing to them. I read the hotel internet is very slow and expensive so online dating could be an issue. and if one doesn't know spanish it could be an issue for meeting in the daytime. But i think if your an early bird language wont even be an issue they will just be so amazed to see you.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Cuba and Russia have been allies for a long time. Now that a war(WW III) between US and Russia is almost certain because of falling Russian currency, oil prices etc... America is trying to make friends with Cuba all of a sudden. It means the shit is going to hit the fan soon which is not good. I recommend an underground bunker full of Cuban women for protection.

Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
The
Junior Poster

Post by The »

Visit Castro's Cuba now! Travellers urged to explore Caribbean nation before it becomes 'Americanised' following landmark thaw in relations with US

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trave ... ns-US.html
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

The wrote:Visit Castro's Cuba now! Travellers urged to explore Caribbean nation before it becomes 'Americanised' following landmark thaw in relations with US

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trave ... ns-US.html
Cuba americanized? Not gonna happen. The US don't have any cultural pulling power anymore, only military (at the expense of an ever-inflating public debt). The scenario of a realignment with historical partner Russia is much more likely, if anything.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on March 2nd, 2020, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Ghost wrote:
newlifeinphilippines wrote:
Ghost wrote:I'm not fluent in anything yet but English. My Spanish is so-so and I know enough Chinese to get around a city. My Tagalog never developed much because most Filipinos will just use English regardless. But I took an interest and learned some basics. My point was that if you don't take an interest - to some extent - then you're keeping yourself too much on the outside of things.

If you want to just whore around, then don't learn anything. If you want something more, you need to become something more.

Playing the tourist role forever leaves you wide open as a target. It will appeal to a certain low-quality type of female. As a temporary thing, yes, of course, that's what it's good for. But you keep saying now that you want a wife, and you're 180 degrees from that mode in practice.
Yes but once again who would learn a language for ONE country that they may or may not even want to stay in long term. That is being a beta male. Now if you actually do marry a girl and settle in that is one thing but vacationing or your first couple years i think is silly to even bother with language. I mean unless your the type that can learn a new language in one month then more power to you and im sure it could come in handy at times for women who dont know english but im not that type so I wont even try. I could get sick of a country after 3 or 5 years and not find someone and decide to leave, you never know. And im sure playing dumb foreigner like i said can add to the initial attraction for many women.
I'm not saying to blindly learn a language just because you go there. Obviously, you need to figure out which country or countries will work for you first. I'm not saying try learning Thai just because you go to Thailand for two weeks. Anyway, it isn't as hard to learn to a basic level as most people think. And really, once you gain a working vocabulary of 2000 of the most frequently used words in a language, you're near fluent.

Another good idea is to learn one or two languages that are widespread. So Chinese, Spanish, French, or Arabic. That way you don't limit yourself to one country. Well, learning Chinese would, but it's a damn lot of people you could then communicate with.
language comes easier for some people. You can't do math probably or make a crapload of money online but thats my forte. I can't even remember a sentence in a foreign language. We have to work with our strong suite. I got money to make and places to see I dont have time to worry about a foreign language. ;)

Return to “Latin America, Mexico, Central America”