How do you afford to travel when you are a peasant

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

How do you afford to travel when you are a peasant

Post by Mr.Darcy »

I am currently a senior in college and broke off my ass. Financials are harder because I have to cut work hours and still make rent lol and additional expenses. In addition, I've heard international plane tickets being around 3200 dollars which is pretty much a new car for me lol. My only options might be randomly driving to Mexico or Canada, or hoping my girlfriend's rich dad takes us somewhere lol. Everybody around me has generous ass parents that take them to Honduras, Turkey, and etc. It is starting to kill my mood because I have that restless travelers gene :(

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How do you afford to travel when you are a peasant

Post by Jester »

IDEAS

Apply for a "Study Abroad" program

Check around for lower fares. Roundtrip to the Philippines can be bought for around $1400

Volunteer for a church mission

Peace Corps after you graduate

Transfer to a foreign university and get your degree from there
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr.Darcy »

Jester wrote:IDEAS

Apply for a "Study Abroad" program

Check around for lower fares. Roundtrip to the Philippines can be bought for around $1400

Volunteer for a church mission

Peace Corps after you graduate

Transfer to a foreign university and get your degree from there
Yall lucky californians
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

Be like the government. Get some debt.

I've realized that most people are actually pretty broke. I found out my sister's boyfriend made less than me working part time than I do basically screwing around and selling things on ebay or whatever and not having a "job" and seemingly appearing to be a loser. But they'd order out to eat most nights of the week, buy expensive food, etc. While I'm eating rice cooked at home and not going out to eat ever. It's pretty simple, credit cards, student loans, get money from your parents, who are in turn generally paying things with credit cards and loans as well. That's how it's done. Most people do not have "savings" and they just run up credit cards and loans forever and ever until they declare bankruptcy at 40 or so, regardless of their income they'll live above it. So, you could do the same! Just spend the money differently than other people do. Not that this is a serious answer, but I had this weird question in my mind of "damn, everyone's so rich and I'm not, wtf" then I realized the average person is not as rich as they look, and all their items are leased at high prices to them.

But $3200 for a plane ticket is high, I priced out a whole month or so in Asia for that type of money, which I'm hopefully gonna save for this summer. Generally the most expensive roundtrip tickets at least according to priceline/etc are like 2 grand. Sometimes you can do little tricks, like a plane ticket to Hong Kong is cheaper than Taiwan, so you can go to Taiwan from Hong Kong, but yes. Then instead of a hotel look for a temporary apartment to rent for a month or your couple weeks, you can find them on Craigslist for whatever location (can't speak of reliability, but yes.)
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Mr.Darcy wrote:I am currently a senior in college and broke off my a**. Financials are harder because I have to cut work hours and still make rent lol and additional expenses. In addition, I've heard international plane tickets being around 3200 dollars which is pretty much a new car for me lol. My only options might be randomly driving to Mexico or Canada, or hoping my girlfriend's rich dad takes us somewhere lol. Everybody around me has generous a** parents that take them to Honduras, Turkey, and etc. It is starting to kill my mood because I have that restless travelers gene :(
First of all I want to congratulate you on wanting to explore other countries. Most Americans don't want to do it - at any age.

I've taken my teens (son in college) to Mexico and that's about as adventurous as they want to be. I have offered to have them accompany me on trips to Asia and safari in Kenya and they acted like I was nuts. OK, maybe I am. The point is I am really glad this is something you know you want to do.

Most people have to travel (and do most other things) on the cheap. Airfares can be gotten inexpensively if you do your research. In the 3rd world once you get there, most places are cheap.

That being said, as a poor college student, it's not easy and I don't want to imply that it is. But it's also a perfect time when you're young before you have some of those pesky adult responsibilities. Figure out a way to save a hundred a month; figure out a way to earn an extra hundred a month. Cut out some of your beer budget (or whatever you like to do). Everyone has something they can cut out if they want to get to their goal badly enough.

Good luck!
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

I hope you finally found a good girl friend, I think if you did that is great for you.
Time to Hide!
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Sooner or later you'll realise that *everybody* is broke. Some clues I got about this are that most people need that end of the month pay check, and other things like my being the only person on my CELTA course who didn't already live locally.

I'm a weirdo who lives a fairly frugal life and saves more than I earn. There aren't many of us around. I still have a very good standard of living, but I never buy stuff like DVD's or made in China junk, and I focus on keeping day to day expenditure low.

Anyway, the good news is that you can travel on very little, or even nothing. There are loads of immigrants in Barcelona who have come here with nothing and have built good lives for themselves. There are a few people on my course who hustle, i.e. teach English, work in bars, shift furniture and generally do stuff for a few €'s.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

Mr.Darcy wrote: In addition, I've heard international plane tickets being around 3200 dollars which is pretty much a new car for me lol. (
Where did you hear that?

I have heard that I can get a round trip from my tiny East Coast (US) airport to Hong Kong or Singapore for less than $1000. And I also heard that I can get a round trip from Hong Kong or Singapore to Hanoi, HCMC, Bangkok, or Manila for a couple of hundred dollars more. I heard all of this from Google Flights.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

onethousandknives wrote:I've realized that most people are actually pretty broke. I found out my sister's boyfriend made less than me working part time than I do basically screwing around and selling things on ebay or whatever and not having a "job" and seemingly appearing to be a loser. But they'd order out to eat most nights of the week, buy expensive food, etc. While I'm eating rice cooked at home and not going out to eat ever. It's pretty simple, credit cards, student loans, get money from your parents, who are in turn generally paying things with credit cards and loans as well. That's how it's done. Most people do not have "savings" and they just run up credit cards and loans forever and ever until they declare bankruptcy at 40 or so, regardless of their income they'll live above it. So, you could do the same! Just spend the money differently than other people do. Not that this is a serious answer, but I had this weird question in my mind of "damn, everyone's so rich and I'm not, wtf" then I realized the average person is not as rich as they look, and all their items are leased at high prices to them.
Excellent comment. many people are irresponsible posers.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Devil Dog wrote:
Mr.Darcy wrote: In addition, I've heard international plane tickets being around 3200 dollars which is pretty much a new car for me lol. (
Where did you hear that?

I have heard that I can get a round trip from my tiny East Coast (US) airport to Hong Kong or Singapore for less than $1000. And I also heard that I can get a round trip from Hong Kong or Singapore to Hanoi, HCMC, Bangkok, or Manila for a couple of hundred dollars more. I heard all of this from Google Flights.
If the man wants to fly business class, he's got to pony it up :lol:

Actually, I'd been finding that ticket prices have been going down from $1.4K to $1K in the past couple of years, to faraway Asian destinations, if you buy from the right agent.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr.Darcy »

I either want to go to the UK or some jungle country that won't kill my bowels. I've decided to cut cover bars and if I go out, I'm going to leave my debit card at home from now on. I am cutting out eating out. Only if I have to study and lack of time to back to my apt.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

What about boats? I seems freighter travel is cheap (and it's actually a regular thing- it's not like when Jean-Claude Van Damme runs off to join the Foreign Legion). Not sure about requisites, as I've hared you need a doctor's note if it's more than a certain number of passengers if they don't have a doctor aboard. Don't really know about that one, since doctors can try to get coercive about "signing-off" on people or giving them prescriptions. Besides, they seem to have a tendancy to interpret something as wrong with you- perhaps to get paid for tests & treatments?
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

Wolfeye wrote:What about boats? I seems freighter travel is cheap (and it's actually a regular thing- it's not like when Jean-Claude Van Damme runs off to join the Foreign Legion). Not sure about requisites, as I've hared you need a doctor's note if it's more than a certain number of passengers if they don't have a doctor aboard. Don't really know about that one, since doctors can try to get coercive about "signing-off" on people or giving them prescriptions. Besides, they seem to have a tendancy to interpret something as wrong with you- perhaps to get paid for tests & treatments?
Freighter actually generally costs more than a plane ticket. I mean you get a whole adventure and can see multiple countries in the time period you're on it, but most charge around $100 per day. So to get to Hong Kong from the East Coast USA, it takes about 47 days, so that's $4700 vs $1000 for the plane ticket.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Well, I've seen different prices (like $300-$500 for something trans-atlantic). Maybe the Pacific is bigger than I thought? Anyway, I still like that boats don't have the same bullshit as planes- not going to get locked up for taking a piss if we're stuck at the dock for a while.