Nighmare Lab: The State of Science Careers

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Nighmare Lab: The State of Science Careers

Post by gnosis »

Here's an interesting article in Nature: http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110831/ ... 7020a.html

Basically, it details how researchers are expected to work longer and longer hours. The average scientist now works about 50 hours a week. Of course pay hasn't increased, and competition for professorships is brutal. Any one here who has or has considered a career in science/research? What is your opinion?
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Re: Nighmare Lab: The State of Science Careers

Post by xiongmao »

I did a PhD (Biochemistry). I lasted in the industry for 3 months, then went and worked in IT for the next 18 years!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

xiongmao wrote:I did a PhD (Biochemistry). I lasted in the industry for 3 months, then went and worked in IT for the next 18 years!
Are you still in IT? Would be interested to hear about what the industry is like now. Still good or not?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on July 30th, 2019, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

The whole entire system is going down the tubes, they will not be getting the best talent out there for sure......your best people will opt out.
Time to Hide!
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Is much actual scientific research going on at all. It seems like a dead industry to me.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Cornfed wrote:Is much actual scientific research going on at all. It seems like a dead industry to me.

It's going on but underground like the old soviet model which mostly means research through the theft of others labors and hard work.... which means your best talent will opt out and we are not going forward in typical Comrade soviet block banker fashion.
Time to Hide!
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

Cornfed wrote:Is much actual scientific research going on at all. It seems like a dead industry to me.
The publish or perish culture kills creativity. As does a lack of funding for basic research and other problems. I suspect that fraud is also up as well as just sloppy work. R&D departments for some companies still doing good work, but I don't know if that's the norm or not.

I think academia is pretty much a hell hole now. Bright post docs and grad students just getting exploited. But that's my opinion, I'm not in grad school.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

According to Catherine Austin Fitt's there are 10's of trillions missing in hidden projects and that's just the US dollar, a lot of it in technologies not to be seen by the sheeple. I suspect their talent pool is dwindling as seen by the latest military hardware the complex is turning out.

Debasing a civilization, directed by monetary policy based on phony credits controlling rigged financial markets for mass consumption, how else would you expect it to turn out ? Hopefully for them they have enough momentum to keep the structure for world government marching forward but by the looks of it I doubt it.
Time to Hide!
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yes still in IT and getting better now that I am senior level and there are very few programmers of my age still programming.

I'm also doing a lot more system design/business analysis - H1-B's aren't generally good at this anyway, but here in the UK they're making it harder to get work visas so it's a non issue.

IT is cyclical so you do need a plan for the downturns, however I managed to keep working during the 08-10 crash.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Dragon
Junior Poster

Post by Dragon »

They're studying the wrong things. Instead, they should follow Winston's example. He has a Ph.D in Bar Girl Anatomy.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

I have a Ph.D. in Math. I spent 15 years in academia and it was horrible. I switched to the insurance business.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

Hero wrote:I have a Ph.D. in Math. I spent 15 years in academia and it was horrible. I switched to the insurance business.
So what exactly is your job now? Do you like it?
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

xiongmao wrote:Yes still in IT and getting better now that I am senior level and there are very few programmers of my age still programming.

I'm also doing a lot more system design/business analysis - H1-B's aren't generally good at this anyway, but here in the UK they're making it harder to get work visas so it's a non issue.

IT is cyclical so you do need a plan for the downturns, however I managed to keep working during the 08-10 crash.
What's a good way to get into IT? Are certs valued if you don't have any other experience?
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Hero wrote:I have a Ph.D. in Math. I spent 15 years in academia and it was horrible. I switched to the insurance business.
tHIS IS EXACTLY WhY modern CIVILIZATION IS HEADED FOR A BIG BIG CRASH, you should be very much respected and you should be proud of your math skills and what you attempted to do.....
Time to Hide!