Why are these prudish expats disgusted by HappierAbroad?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Repatriate wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:
Personally? Never I just find it funny and you're point is 100% correct. Then their 20something and teenage kids come down and complain of being overcharged by the locals or robbed.
Yes, I refer to it as the asshole tax. Easily avoidable if you make some local friends but seeing as how some of these people have such a deeply condescending view of the country they live in they refuse to learn anything about how to network into it so they'll always remain on the outside.
Mostly Americans in Mexico, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic and Central America. They have these huge 4,000 sq foot homes, watch International Home Hunters...

In Europe is usually Brits/Germans in France, Spain, Southern Italy, Cypress or Turkey.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Grunt
Junior Poster

Post by Grunt »

"Most people, sometime in their lives, stumble across truth. Most jump up, brush themselves off, and hurry on about their business as if nothing had happened." -- Winston Churchill
How to deal with newbies that talk much but do little.

Pics or it didn't happen.

YES/NO

Cool story, bro.

Problem solved.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

Grunt wrote:"Most people, sometime in their lives, stumble across truth. Most jump up, brush themselves off, and hurry on about their business as if nothing had happened." -- Winston Churchill
(Un?)Fortunately for me, I listened every time this happened.
Grunt
Junior Poster

Post by Grunt »

We are the lunatic fringe, no doubt about it. As far as how we live our lives, I think Twain said it best. "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." -- Mark Twain

Now as far as what we believe, "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." -- Arthur Schopenhauer

One of the greatest lessons I learned in my life was regarding my mortal enemy, the Department of Veterans Affairs. Right after I left the military, I filed for my veterans pension. I waited, as everyone was telling me to do, and about a year later I went back to check on the progress of my claim.

The VA of course said that they had no record of me every filing a claim. This was 2001 and started a battle of wills that goes on to this day. Even back then, after some research, I began to see the VA does not accidentally "lose" files, but the VA actually has a policy to destroy a percentage of incoming claims. Once I came to this conclusion I began to openly, and loudly, proclaim it.

I was dismissed by my fellow veterans as insane, or working with Osama bin Laden, and anywhere in between. But fast forward to 2009 and the VA Shredding Scandal break onto the major news networks. Now, VA shredding is totally assumed and everyone knows its happening and considered "old news".

I do not think it will be long before the majority of men see marriage as a losing proposition. Since the Marriage Strike has been a topic since 2002, maybe we are already there?
How to deal with newbies that talk much but do little.

Pics or it didn't happen.

YES/NO

Cool story, bro.

Problem solved.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Re: Why are these prudish expats disgusted by HappierAbroad?

Post by Jackal »

Winston wrote:What is the problem with these people? Happier Abroad is all about truth, so why can't they handle it? Isn't truth exciting? Why don't they embrace the truth like me and freethinkers and truth seekers do?
I think the heart of the matter is that these people have only relocated their bodies. Their minds are still full of typically American thinking, so they are basically still ordinary Americans at heart. Maybe they learned a few local words to buy oranges, but they haven't changed their view of the world.

In contrast, most of us here had a view of the world which was very different than the standard American one long before we even left.