Alternatives to Pattaya, Thailand?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
newlife
Freshman Poster

Alternatives to Pattaya, Thailand?

Post by newlife »

I've lived in pattaya, thailand for several years. basically, it's not what it used to be. they are hellbent on making the place a mecca for "family tourism". so in came the russians, indians, and iranians en masse. what that has done is ruin the character of the place. everyday i see a new bar being bulldozed and a new condominium complex being erected(courtesy of russian kleptocrat money). the place seems to get more expensive every day and the exchange rate keeps getting worse.

I'm considering moving to cambodia or vietnam somewhere. I need some bars to keep me company, a low cost of living where I can live well on $1,500 monthly. anybody can recommend a good spot? preferably somewhere in asia, but it could be anywhere in the world as long as the cost of living is low.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Angeles city, Philippines. Only one bar has been bought by the Russians.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

ladislav wrote:Angeles city, Philippines. Only one bar has been bought by the Russians.
From what I observed, Angeles may be moving in the direction as Patts - more development, more visitors, and higher prices. Maybe there are not Russians (yet) but some of the hole-in-the-wall bars are being replaced by large and glitzy clubs, high-end hotels (ABC, Lewis Grand) are expanding and several new hotels and condos are being constructed in the vicinity of the strip and Perimeter Road. One of PI's top-tier developers (Ayala) has issued a vote of confidence for the area by launching a major condo project near Marque Mall. Seems to be lots of activity now even though is low season. The Koreans have a big foothold. And prices are moving-up in case you haven't noticed. Just compare things to a few years ago or ask longer term expats.