In some key areas, Chile leads the world

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

In some key areas, Chile leads the world

Post by Mr S »

http://www.sovereignman.com/expat/in-so ... the-world/

September 22, 2011
Santiago, Chile

[Editor's note: Dr. John Cobin from Chile is filling in while Simon is in the jungle.]

One of Chile’s daily papers, El Mercurio, featured an article last Sunday summarizing the findings of a key report from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

To the surprise of many, Chile turns out to be a leader in a number of important categories.

The El Mercurio article was entitled: “We Chileans lead the world in hours worked, fruit exports and water purity.� And those are just a few of the important items mentioned. Here are some of the highlights:

First, Chileans work more hours (2,068 hours per year per employee) than anyone in the world besides people in South Korea and Greece. What is more, after falling in 2009 and 2010, Chilean work productivity rose 3% in 2011.

Second, according to the Financial Development Report of the OECD, among those countries in the world with high middle incomes per capita, Chile was ranked in second place in the category of banking system stability.

Third, Chileans have many reasons to be proud of their medical care system, which has helped generate the highest life expectancy in Latin America and has minimized problems with children’s malnutrition. The country has more medical school graduates than Israel or Japan and, equal with the United States, boasts 6.5 doctors per 100,000 inhabitants.

Fourth, Chilean has some of the cleanest water in the world, ranked alongside of Holland and Switzerland in this category. Chile is in the top ten in sewage treatment, beating out the United States, Canada and Sweden. Having a good water system greatly reduces potential disease problems and helps recoup public spaces near the ocean shoreline, lakeside areas and river banks.

—————————————————————————————————-

Dr. Cobin’s book, Life in Chile: A Former American’s Guide for Newcomers, is the most comprehensive treatise on Chilean life ever written, designed to help newcomers get settled in Chile. He covers almost ever topic imaginable for immigrants. This knowledge is applied in his valet consulting service, where he guides expatriates through the process of finding a place to live and settle in Chile, helping them glide over the speed bumps that they would otherwise face in getting their visas, setting up businesses, buying real estate, investing in Chilean stocks or gold coins, etc. Dr. Cobin offers a 30-day money back guarantee and you can pick up a copy of his book here.

—————————————————————————————————-

Fifth, Chilean fruit is now famous all across the world. The National Society of Agriculture highlighted that more Chilean grapes are sold than those from any other place on earth.

Chile leads the world in exports of plums, avocados and blueberries, and is in the top five countries for exports of cherries and apples. Local wines are also world leaders, being bested only by European and South African producers.

Furthermore, Chile ranks among the top five exporters of pork products in the world. Remember, Chile has everything California has to offer for agriculture and more.

Sixth, Chile led all Latin American countries in the category of Internet penetration with 42%. Uruguay and Argentina registered 34%, while Brazil, Mexico, Costa Rica and Peru came in at 21% (according to a study by Havas Digital sponsored by the BBC). Moreover, Chile shares the distinction (along with Argentina and Venezuela) of having 100% cellular telephone penetration.

Seventh, Chile was ranked first in Latin America and one of the best overall in the world for competitiveness (according to a study by the World Economic Forum). Chile was tied for first place in the world for controlling inflation and holds sixth place in controlling public debt.

Its quality of institutions was found to be excellent. Public finance is healthy, people have confidence in public policies and government actions tend to be transparent.

The government does not pay agricultural subsidies, helping Chile earn a ranking of tenth place in this category around the world, and there are hardly any entry barriers caused by import tariffs.

Chile also features a good business banking environment, notably in its well-developed loan and credit market. Competitive businesses in Chile have a chance to thrive, and that is good news for Chile’s future.

Finally, curiously, 39% of Chile people over the age of 15 are single. This figure is equaled in South Korea, but both countries have a much higher figure than most other countries like Mexico (33%), Spain (30%), New Zealand (30%), Slovakia (30%), France (29%) or Brazil (30%). The OECD country average is 26%.

Chile also has a relatively low percentage of married people (also 39%), and a relatively high percentage of people who live together, are widowed, separated or divorced (22%).

Thus, for those seeking to be married, Chile could be fertile ground for finding a mate given that such a high percentage of people are not married.

All of these things help make Chile an attractive place to live or have as a home base. At the very least these things should make any businessman stop and take notice of the potential opportunities that the country affords.

In the Age of Turmoil, places like Chile make great sense as a place to plant sustainable (or resilient) communities, or to have a second home which serves as an escape hatch from ever-imposing First World economic misery.

Dr. John Cobin
Correspondent, SovereignMan.com
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: IN SOME KEY AREAS, CHILE LEADS THE WORLD

Post by Taco »

Mr S wrote: Chile also has a relatively low percentage of married people (also 39%), and a relatively high percentage of people who live together, are widowed, separated or divorced (22%).

Thus, for those seeking to be married, Chile could be fertile ground for finding a mate given that such a high percentage of people are not married.
I think Chile is one of those countries that looks great on paper and thats about it.

I used to work with a Chilean guy and he was more than happy to tell me why he left his two exwives. I've never heard anyone give Chilean women a good review.

In addition, Chile is downwind of four nuclear powerplants located in Brazil and Argentina, something thats becoming an issue lately.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Well it may be a decent place to live part-time and set up a second citizenship if needed, but not a place to find a woman. Just like most countries they all have their pluses and minuses. It's hard to find a decent country with both good women and a decent economy and quality of life. It's probably better to find a decent country and import a woman rather than living in a shitty country cause their women are great.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

A couple years ago, some US companies opened IT shops in Santiago Chile. So far it has worked well and the operations have expanded. Wages in Chile for experienced IT staff is low compared to US and Mexico:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 857837.htm

My new employer has about a dozen job openings at the Santiago, Chile office. They're looking for QA Analyst with 2 year experience, DBA with Siebel CRM experience, System Engineer, Client Implementation Analyst with 3-5 year experience, client service manager with 8 year experience in operations environment & min 3 year management experience, etc. I'm uncertain if they'd accept applicants from US or pay relocation costs, but if anyone thinks they're qualified and would like to try, I can refer you to our HR department.
Free
Freshman Poster

Post by Free »

Mr S wrote:Well it may be a decent place to live part-time and set up a second citizenship if needed, but not a place to find a woman. Just like most countries they all have their pluses and minuses. It's hard to find a decent country with both good women and a decent economy and quality of life. It's probably better to find a decent country and import a woman rather than living in a shitty country cause their women are great.
Been thinking the same. Nice to hear someone else mention it too.

It's tough this up and down, just upon thinking of going to one country for the easier to meet, more feminine (less feminist) women, or the more laid back lifestyle (meaning less tense, less judgemental, etc.), typically being locations that are 3rd world, or 2nd world, and seeing the good aspects of what you might be leaving behind in a 1st world country, it sort of leaves you unsure of where to go. It's fine if you're in the mode of being able to bounce around back and forth going for taking the best of both worlds, but some people just want to settle in a place and not up for all the time, energy and money involved when bouncing around.

If our home countries didn't become so messed up, a good handful of us would have just stayed. Oh the good 'ol days. Will there be some glory days again?

Things are quite a mess these days, nearly globally. It's as if people all over are frantically scrambling around, for what they are not exactly sure. There's this sort of jittery state to people. An undertone of an uneasy disposition.
I believe technology and the internet have had some damaging effects globally (and of course the main aspect of evil ones pulling the strings).

We may seem more advanced these days, but something keeps telling me that times of 60 years ago and any time before, were more in balance and overall the better way to live.
"Give me liberty or give me death" - Patrick Henry
singlong
Freshman Poster

Post by singlong »

We may seem more advanced these days, but something keeps telling me that times of 60 years ago and any time before, were more in balance and overall the better way to live!I agree with your opinion,thank you!If anyone is there a better idea, saying that out and share,thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
more with dental units
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

According to this report, many educated Indians are heading back to India for a better quality of life and better job opportunities, than they can find in the US. Perhaps India is a good place to look, if you're without decent employment. I've considered Chile, as well, and if I were still single I'd already be there. India isn't my cup of tea, based on what I know, but perhaps if I visit one day I'd change my mind. I'm sure some guys would love the place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZszs3rb ... ture=share
singlong
Freshman Poster

Post by singlong »

woo!Bruce Lee! He is my idol. Think Different, you might be involved in he ,yes?

------------------------------------------
more with dental units
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

momopi wrote:A couple years ago, some US companies opened IT shops in Santiago Chile. So far it has worked well and the operations have expanded. Wages in Chile for experienced IT staff is low compared to US and Mexico:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 857837.htm

My new employer has about a dozen job openings at the Santiago, Chile office. They're looking for QA Analyst with 2 year experience, DBA with Siebel CRM experience, System Engineer, Client Implementation Analyst with 3-5 year experience, client service manager with 8 year experience in operations environment & min 3 year management experience, etc. I'm uncertain if they'd accept applicants from US or pay relocation costs, but if anyone thinks they're qualified and would like to try, I can refer you to our HR department.
That's an interesting trend, and has been highlighted on a few business papers I have recently read on Colombia. Colombia seems to be the second fastest rising star in terms of IT and software "nearshoring" for US and Canada. It seems that Colombia also has a good IT-educated workforce, lower salaries, long working hours and (as palatable to large multinational) larger job flexibility (= easier to hire and fire) than Chile or Argentina. All arguments that pose a good case if you're a company CEO wanting to reap profits on the emerging market, but less good news if you are to relocate as an employee. Oh well, in Colombia the weather and perhaps even the women are better than in Chile :-)