Article: Why I don't enjoy living in America anymore

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
OTB
Freshman Poster

Article: Why I don't enjoy living in America anymore

Post by OTB »

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 956AAAFlLk

Why don't I enjoy living in America anymore?

I can't figure out why I no longer enjoy living in this country... and I'm really interested in finding out if anyone on this website can relate with me...

Like every kid in America, I've grown up in a very materialistic, consumer based society. For as early as I can remember, all of my desires have been geared towards filling this annoying, reoccurring feeling of emptiness and insecurity that can only be temporarily filled with consumption/purchase/buying things in order to feel better about myself.

At some point in my life I slowly but surely began abandoning this sort of lifestyle.. but as I grew apart from it, I couldn't help but notice how many people truly never grow out of it.

This question is mostly directed towards people in America, but I suppose anyone can answer.

Do you feel like something isn't right about the country we live in? I hate how we're fed that "happiness" is the accumulation of "things". I don't like the society we live in - a society that's entirely based off continuous consumption, exploitation, betrayal for personal gain. It's very hard to explain but I feel like although people in other countries around the world may not have as much "stuff" as we do, they're still happier than us - mainly because they have culture... people in continents like Europe and Australia and perhaps even Asia seem to have better human connections with their families, their neighbors, their local communities, and so on... In America it seems like we all isolate ourselves in our homes with our "stuff" but we're incapable of connecting with each other on a human level (for the most part, of course SOME people are capable of this... but not enough).

I mean, when you pay close attention to the media, do you ever just finally see how everything in this society is geared towards exploiting this constant feeling of emptiness and pointless consumption? To most people in America, "happiness" consists of having a lot of money so they can buy nice cars, houses, clothing etc. it consists of finally getting their new iPhone, xbox, or plasma TV.... Why don't most people view happiness as more of something like exploring nature, or going rock climbing with 3 close friends , or.. watching science documentaries on the science channel on a rainy day... or..going bug hunting, or going for a walk with my dog, or having deep/intuitive conversations and discussions with people...

This is a rant, I'm confused and frustrated with where I live... I can't fathom how so many people are stuck in this consumer culture. I figured it was something that people would eventually grow out of. And I feel like there are a handful of people taking advantage of and exploiting this weakness in a majority of people who live in this country (for their own personal benefit).

I don't know if anything I'm saying makes sense but it's really hard to type out on a computer. Does anyone else feel lonely in America? Do you feel like you're drowning in a society and a culture that pretty much goes entirely against your human instincts? Your basic wants and needs in life? I feel like American society is taking my instinctual needs and wants (such as real happiness, real human connections, lots of personal free time, allowance for free thinking etc.) and attempting to replace them with societal/man-made/artificially created needs and wants (such as the need to get that new phone, that new car, that bigger house, the need to look like that celebrity, the need to get more money, the need to consume more etc.)..

Does anyone else feel the same way I do? I feel like it's getting to a point where it's becoming increasingly impossible to live here anymore.. any and everywhere I turn to, I'm reminded of how fake, sick, twisted, and brainwashed this society is...

What do I do?

(This is where I found the article
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 956AAAFlLk)
Last edited by OTB on May 26th, 2012, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ExpandMindset
Freshman Poster

Post by ExpandMindset »

Yes, I feel the same way. I live in NC by the way. Even when I go to parties, I still have trouble relating to people. I watch college football from time to time, but mostly see it as a time waster. People OBESSES about it down here. If their team does not win, they are depressed for a whole week.

I used to watch massive amounts of television after working daily, I think mostly because of boredom. But I have to cut TV almost totally out of life, which makes me related to average Americans even less. I do not understand why they have no desire to learn about other countries or travel.

I think living in Europe would be cool because you have much more history, plus all the towns have a town square and you can walk more - which not only is more healthy, but also less isolated...

All I hear now is how a should get an MBA, it's good for my career. But honestly, I could care less about my career, the work is mind numbing....

What is crazy to me is that, & I don't know if it's living here (maybe I am just spoiled), but I have a friend in Brazil who works her butt off and seems happier than I (who only works 8 hours a day). She works 45+ hours a week, has a 1 hour commute both ways, and makes maybe 30% of what I gross per month (although she lives at home) & seems overall happier than I. I would be will to take a pay cut & move there.

I think everyone on here thirsts for human connections, friendships, & a vibrant social life and have been unable to find it here..

There is just a greater sense of community elsewhere than in the U.S.
OTB
Freshman Poster

Post by OTB »

@ExpandMindset

I used to watch massive amounts of television after working daily, I think mostly because of boredom. But I have to cut TV almost totally out of life, which makes me related to average Americans even less. I do not understand why they have no desire to learn about other countries or travel.
I love people who think outside the box. You brought up a few things that I do myself and think about. First the TV watching. I HATE TV!! I like Globetrekker and House Hunters International. That's it. I only watch TV when I go to my mom's house. But as a whole it's such a waste of time and watching it on a daily basis is a distraction from more interesting activities that you could be doing; reading, learning a foreign language, writing, exercising, etc. I used to watch college football on Saturdays when I was in college while I studied or read, but it's true what you said. It is a time waster.

Now your statement about why Americans have no desire to learn about other countries or travel is something that crosses my mind quite often man. I don't get it either. I love talking about other cultures, traveling and international history. Once you travel for the first time outside of the US it completely changes you. It broadens your mindset and you become more aware of what's going on outside your box; the US. But we live in a culture where people don't value open-mindedness, traveling, curiosity and deep intellectual conversations. It's a country that puts a considerable amount of emphasis on material possessions, tv, sports, sex, and money. And we think we're the greatest country in the world. So many Americans are brainwashed by that statement.

Europe would be awesome. Southern Spain is where I would like to be besides Mexico. Europe is filled with culture, history, and different languages.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Hey OTB, I can relate man. In fact, I realized that I didn't fit in to American society at an early age. I grew increasingly disillusioned and disgusted at American society way back before it became popular to do so. I would say this was about 20 years ago--way before 9/11, before the beginnings of the U.S. police state, before the crazy divisions in our country. Nowadays, many American's feel the same way and only growing in number. I plan on leaving the country after I graduate and move overseas.
Grunt
Junior Poster

Post by Grunt »

Since my concept of self-respect is not linked to societal acceptance, I am not worried.
How to deal with newbies that talk much but do little.

Pics or it didn't happen.

YES/NO

Cool story, bro.

Problem solved.
KingV911
Freshman Poster

Re: An article I found: Why I don't enjoy living in America

Post by KingV911 »

"Does anyone else feel the same way I do? I feel like it's getting to a point where it's becoming increasingly impossible to live here anymore.. any and everywhere I turn to, I'm reminded of how fake, sick, twisted, and brainwashed this society is... "

When I read your post I thought to myself: "did I write this???" I feel the same way. I live in WI, and even here it is as you describe. If it weren't for having family here I think I would seriously look into moving to a different country with a culture that fit my personality better. If your life doesn't revolve around watching (not participating, of course) sports, who got kicked off American Idol, or how you can make your grass look greener with the latest herbicide/pesticide/death spray then good luck having a conversation with 95% of the public here. I can't stand it. When I actually do meet someone who doesn't fit this stereotype it is like a huge breath of fresh air!
OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by OzGuy »

OTB wrote:Why don't I enjoy living in America anymore?
I can't figure out why I no longer enjoy living in this country... and I'm really interested in finding out if anyone on this website can relate with me...

Like every kid in America, I've grown up in a very materialistic, consumer based society. For as early as I can remember, all of my desires have been geared towards filling this annoying, reoccurring feeling of emptiness and insecurity that can only be temporarily filled with consumption/purchase/buying things in order to feel better about myself.

At some point in my life I slowly but surely began abandoning this sort of lifestyle.. but as I grew apart from it, I couldn't help but notice how many people truly never grow out of it.

This question is mostly directed towards people in America, but I suppose anyone can answer.

Do you feel like something isn't right about the country we live in? I hate how we're fed that "happiness" is the accumulation of "things". I don't like the society we live in - a society that's entirely based off continuous consumption, exploitation, betrayal for personal gain. It's very hard to explain but I feel like although people in other countries around the world may not have as much "stuff" as we do, they're still happier than us - mainly because they have culture... people in continents like Europe and Australia and perhaps even Asia seem to have better human connections with their families, their neighbors, their local communities, and so on... In America it seems like we all isolate ourselves in our homes with our "stuff" but we're incapable of connecting with each other on a human level (for the most part, of course SOME people are capable of this... but not enough).

I mean, when you pay close attention to the media, do you ever just finally see how everything in this society is geared towards exploiting this constant feeling of emptiness and pointless consumption? To most people in America, "happiness" consists of having a lot of money so they can buy nice cars, houses, clothing etc. it consists of finally getting their new iPhone, xbox, or plasma TV.... Why don't most people view happiness as more of something like exploring nature, or going rock climbing with 3 close friends , or.. watching science documentaries on the science channel on a rainy day... or..going bug hunting, or going for a walk with my dog, or having deep/intuitive conversations and discussions with people...

This is a rant, I'm confused and frustrated with where I live... I can't fathom how so many people are stuck in this consumer culture. I figured it was something that people would eventually grow out of. And I feel like there are a handful of people taking advantage of and exploiting this weakness in a majority of people who live in this country (for their own personal benefit).

I don't know if anything I'm saying makes sense but it's really hard to type out on a computer. Does anyone else feel lonely in America? Do you feel like you're drowning in a society and a culture that pretty much goes entirely against your human instincts? Your basic wants and needs in life? I feel like American society is taking my instinctual needs and wants (such as real happiness, real human connections, lots of personal free time, allowance for free thinking etc.) and attempting to replace them with societal/man-made/artificially created needs and wants (such as the need to get that new phone, that new car, that bigger house, the need to look like that celebrity, the need to get more money, the need to consume more etc.)..

Does anyone else feel the same way I do? I feel like it's getting to a point where it's becoming increasingly impossible to live here anymore.. any and everywhere I turn to, I'm reminded of how fake, sick, twisted, and brainwashed this society is...

What do I do?

I do agree with you, but please do not put Australia in the same category as Europe, it is just as bad as the US. People seem to think in Australia people are "friendly and more connected" but I can tell you it is NOT! People in Australia SEEM more friendly, but its just superficial and not genuine at all. For example, a stranger passing by or a shop keeper might say "hows it going mate?" - they DO NOT mean this, it is just a generic greeting in Australia. The perceived "friendliness" in Australia is superficial 99% of the time.
Tadow
Freshman Poster

Post by Tadow »

Great thread. I can agree with much of this, but I definitely have a material attachment (clothes). I wonder sometimes how I would cope with having less stuff. If I did move abroad, how would I bring it all? I'd probably just end up getting stuff that's more exotic than what I have. It took me a while to get past keeping up with the Joneses. Now I do my own thing. I don't want to move to a place where I can't dress nicely though at the risk of being robbed or ransomed.

Everything else I could give a damn about. I watch TV, but I'm mostly dissatisfied with it. I steer clear of popular culture and I think above all else that's why it's hard to relate to the average person. In the future I'd like to live with more experiences rather than objects. These don't bring happiness. They make me feel good from time to time, but it fades quickly. I feel like I've missed out on many great experiences I could've been having, but instead that money went in my closet. So rather than starting a minimalist lifestyle I just want better quality people around me.

And I feel like I'm going against the grain with almost everything. There's no one who understands and really no one I'd break it down to anyway about why.
ExpeditionSailor
Freshman Poster

Post by ExpeditionSailor »

OzGuy wrote:

What do I do?

I do agree with you, but please do not put Australia in the same category as Europe, it is just as bad as the US. People seem to think in Australia people are "friendly and more connected" but I can tell you it is NOT! People in Australia SEEM more friendly, but its just superficial and not genuine at all. For example, a stranger passing by or a shop keeper might say "hows it going mate?" - they DO NOT mean this, it is just a generic greeting in Australia. The perceived "friendliness" in Australia is superficial 99% of the time.
The same kind of superficiality is rampant in Canada. It comes as no surprise, since Canada and Australia are practically brother countries. Both have British heritage, traditions, and culture to a greater or lesser extent. Canada may be somewhat Americanized because of its proximity to the US, but it is far less Americanized than people imagine.
ExpeditionSailor
Freshman Poster

What do I do?

I feel the same way, and I have lived in Canada all my life. Canada is a socially cold country. It is quite hostile (albeit covered up with a thin veneer of superficial niceness and politeness) to people who don't fit into the mainstream mould. If you don't drink and aren't into hockey, you're seen as weird. And shunned.

As I pointed out in my Youtube video "Why I'm Going Overseas to Find a Wife", I noted that I have never felt like I fit into North American culture very well, and would like to find a culture where I belong. If such a thing is possible.

I agree that materialism and consumerism (and I am guilty of both) have basically ruined North America and the people who live there. I too have slowly been stepping away from materialism, and I no longer lust after the latest gadget. Sure, I have an iPhone and I like it a lot, it's a surprisingly useful tool, but I have no plans to upgrade when iPhone 5 comes out. Same with my first-gen iPad. I sold my 2007 Civic to pay some bills and bought a clunker to replace it. It gets me from point A to B in reasonable comfort. I don't have to make payments on it. I don't give a rat's arse about style or trying to impress anyone. And thinking that if you drive a snazzy vehicle you will impress people (or women) is delusional. Worse, having to make monthly payments on a rapidly depreciating asset to try to keep up with the Joneses (who don't care about me anyway) is nuts. I would love to live in a city that has excellent public transport so I wouldn't need a car.

I have no friends. No real family to speak of. And I feel terribly lonely. But there are no solutions for that and there is little or no help available for such a problem. Shrinks and their poisons do f**k-all beyond papering over the cracks. I sometimes wonder if I'll just end it all if I can't find a wife in a foreign country reasonably soon, because here in Canada, I'm completely invisible. Unloved. Unwanted. Ignored.
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

I can also totally relate to what you guys have written. Living here in Canada, it's as ExpeditionSailor wrote: people are cold and very aloof. I miss living in Asia big time and I can't wait to return there. The more time I spend in Asia or in South America, the more I realize each day spent in Canada is a day wasted in my life. In Canada, there's no life, you just go through the motions, like a robot, you do what you're supposed to do, what you're expected to do as a good boy. When I'm in Canada, I'm always with a low morale, low on energy, always tired and not wanting to do anything other than just go home after work. However, once outside Canada, whether it be in SA or in SEA, I feel ALIVE, full of energy, happy and I'm almost a different person.

I also don't relate with people here as the only thing on my mind is to get out of here and people have a hard time understanding this and countless times I've been asked "what's wrong with me, people would kill and sacrifice their left ball and their first 3 borns for a chance to come live in Canada and you're talking of wanting to leave Canada?" If only they could take their head out of their ass and start to get a little bit more curious about other places, then they'd realize that indeed the grass is greener on the other side.

People I grew up with, people I considered and called friends while growing up, now are almost like strangers to me. Sure when we meet we greet each other but that's about it. Most of them, have gone the traditional route of getting married, a big house in the burbs, nice cars and other material things while I'm the only single guy left, who doesn't own a car, who's most of the time overseas and as a result, I have nothing to talk to these people as they are totally closed off to their little bubble here. I've tried numerous times to open their minds to the wonders outside Canada in Asia, South America and beyond, but they only muster the "I wish I could" or "you're lucky you're single and you can travel". Replying back to them it's not about luck, it's a matter of priorities, decisions and choices and even now, you can still go out, see the world. And by seeing the world, I don't mean going on an all inclusive 1 week package deal to Cuba, Mexico or the Dominican Republic where you'd spend your entire time at the resort surrounded with the same old, fat white people you see every day here. When I mention the name Brazil, let alone the Philippines or Thailand, they look at me as if I'm their enemy and I've lost my mind and I'm trying to send them to their death. The cultural ignorance of people here is scary.

Nowadays, I don't even try to "save" others by telling them about the wonders of life overseas. I only keep it short and to the point when talking to people and will only talk about my travels and experience living overseas when I can sense that either the other person is geniunely interested with an open mind or they have been abroad extensively.

When I tell people that the for the price of an average car here in Canada in the 30-60k, you can buy a fully furnished condo in Thailand, parts of Brasil, the Philippines, Ukraine and other parts of the world where the quality of life is awesome, they look at me as if I'm crazy. Oh well, I'll let get them get into debt to buy a new car that they don't need to impress their neighbours or other people they don't really care about with money they don't have while I'll be saving my money and buying properties overseas and build an amazing international lifestyle for me.

And the kicker, when they talk about what I'm waiting for to settle down and get married? Are you freaking out of your mind? You'd be insane to get married here with the laws in place and with the type of beasts around. Of course, they think I'm a loser for wanting to marry a feminine woman in a "3rd world country". LOL From now on I will reply to these people "come talk to me in 10 years time when you've been ass raped in court by your sweet wife after she divorces you while I'll be raising a healthy family with a loyal, feminine, sweet woman while enjoying a quality of life that you could not only dream of in a so called 3rd world country.

Anyways, rant over. I feel a lot better now that I've got this off my chest. :)

Stay strong guys and focused in the ultimage goal of getting the hell out of this hell that is North America.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Jacaré wrote:I can also totally relate to what you guys have written. Living here in Canada, it's as ExpeditionSailor wrote: people are cold and very aloof. I miss living in Asia big time and I can't wait to return there. The more time I spend in Asia or in South America, the more I realize each day spent in Canada is a day wasted in my life. In Canada, there's no life, you just go through the motions, like a robot, you do what you're supposed to do, what you're expected to do as a good boy. When I'm in Canada, I'm always with a low morale, low on energy, always tired and not wanting to do anything other than just go home after work. However, once outside Canada, whether it be in SA or in SEA, I feel ALIVE, full of energy, happy and I'm almost a different person.

I also don't relate with people here as the only thing on my mind is to get out of here and people have a hard time understanding this and countless times I've been asked "what's wrong with me, people would kill and sacrifice their left ball and their first 3 borns for a chance to come live in Canada and you're talking of wanting to leave Canada?" If only they could take their head out of their ass and start to get a little bit more curious about other places, then they'd realize that indeed the grass is greener on the other side.

People I grew up with, people I considered and called friends while growing up, now are almost like strangers to me. Sure when we meet we greet each other but that's about it. Most of them, have gone the traditional route of getting married, a big house in the burbs, nice cars and other material things while I'm the only single guy left, who doesn't own a car, who's most of the time overseas and as a result, I have nothing to talk to these people as they are totally closed off to their little bubble here. I've tried numerous times to open their minds to the wonders outside Canada in Asia, South America and beyond, but they only muster the "I wish I could" or "you're lucky you're single and you can travel". Replying back to them it's not about luck, it's a matter of priorities, decisions and choices and even now, you can still go out, see the world. And by seeing the world, I don't mean going on an all inclusive 1 week package deal to Cuba, Mexico or the Dominican Republic where you'd spend your entire time at the resort surrounded with the same old, fat white people you see every day here. When I mention the name Brazil, let alone the Philippines or Thailand, they look at me as if I'm their enemy and I've lost my mind and I'm trying to send them to their death. The cultural ignorance of people here is scary.

Nowadays, I don't even try to "save" others by telling them about the wonders of life overseas. I only keep it short and to the point when talking to people and will only talk about my travels and experience living overseas when I can sense that either the other person is geniunely interested with an open mind or they have been abroad extensively.

When I tell people that the for the price of an average car here in Canada in the 30-60k, you can buy a fully furnished condo in Thailand, parts of Brasil, the Philippines, Ukraine and other parts of the world where the quality of life is awesome, they look at me as if I'm crazy. Oh well, I'll let get them get into debt to buy a new car that they don't need to impress their neighbours or other people they don't really care about with money they don't have while I'll be saving my money and buying properties overseas and build an amazing international lifestyle for me.

And the kicker, when they talk about what I'm waiting for to settle down and get married? Are you freaking out of your mind? You'd be insane to get married here with the laws in place and with the type of beasts around. Of course, they think I'm a loser for wanting to marry a feminine woman in a "3rd world country". LOL From now on I will reply to these people "come talk to me in 10 years time when you've been ass raped in court by your sweet wife after she divorces you while I'll be raising a healthy family with a loyal, feminine, sweet woman while enjoying a quality of life that you could not only dream of in a so called 3rd world country.

Anyways, rant over. I feel a lot better now that I've got this off my chest. :)

Stay strong guys and focused in the ultimage goal of getting the hell out of this hell that is North America.
This is the hardest - how to handle friends and family who don't want you to escape.
ExpeditionSailor
Freshman Poster

Jester wrote:
<snip>

This is the hardest - how to handle friends and family who don't want you to escape.
'Friends and family who don't want you to escape" - AKA crabs in a bucket!
OTB
Freshman Poster

Post by OTB »

@OzGuy and KingV911

From OzGuy
I do agree with you, but please do not put Australia in the same category as Europe.
Even though reading this feels like I wrote it, I didn't. Remember I found it here http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 956AAAFlLk.

Yes I agree. Australia does belong in the same category as Europe.
OTB
Freshman Poster

Post by OTB »

I don't know if anything I'm saying makes sense but it's really hard to type out on a computer.
I don't know why the person who wrote this was unsure if he was making sense. It makes perfect sense. He hit on a lot of key points that describes American society perfectly.