The IRS is offering $300 stimulus checks if you made $3k

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Winston
Site Admin

The IRS is offering $300 stimulus checks if you made $3k

Post by Winston »

Dear all,
In case you don't know about it yet, the IRS is offering $300 stimulus checks to anyone who made at least $3000 last year in 2007. All you have to do is file your return and you'll get it, either by check or direct deposit.

For more info:

IRS site:

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,, ... 81,00.html

And some answers to this refund from Yahoo Answers:

http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 345AABtQyp

So make sure to file and get your $300!
sharpbws
Freshman Poster

Re: The IRS is offering $300 stimulus checks if you made $3k

Post by sharpbws »

WWu777 wrote:Dear all,
In case you don't know about it yet, the IRS is offering $300 stimulus checks to anyone who made at least $3000 last year in 2007. All you have to do is file your return and you'll get it, either by check or direct deposit.
Leave it to Winston to be the first in line when somebody is giving away something for nothing.

ROTFLMAO!
:-)
Brad
LukeSkywalker
Freshman Poster

Post by LukeSkywalker »

sharpbws wrote:
Leave it to Winston to be the first in line when somebody is giving away something for nothing.

ROTFLMAO!
No Brad, I'm not amused.

Brad, if you don't like it when people bash you and call you "Weasel", then you yourself shouldn't turn around and bash Winston.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Actually, it's $600 a person that the government is sending people. It's the federal governments way to "jump start" the economy. Checks will start going out in May.
sharpbws
Freshman Poster

Post by sharpbws »

WWu777 wrote: In case you don't know about it yet, the IRS is offering $300 stimulus checks to anyone who made at least $3000 last year in 2007. All you have to do is file your return and you'll get it, either by check or direct deposit.

Some updated info on this topic can be found here:

http://finance.yahoo.com/taxes/article/ ... e-It's-Cut
Brad
Grunt
Junior Poster

Post by Grunt »

Just filed our taxes, interested to see how this whole thing pans out.

Who's this "brad" bitch? Another disenfranchised feminist? Moth to the flame?
kristy_571
Freshman Poster

Post by kristy_571 »

sharpbws wrote:

ROTFLMAO!
you think that is giving something away for nothing?
Last edited by kristy_571 on April 2nd, 2008, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kristy_571
Freshman Poster

Post by kristy_571 »

sharpbws wrote:

ROTFLMAO!
Whatever. Most of us work our asses off and deserve the $300 stimulus. Plus everyone knows the economy is in shambles right now. Think about people that have families. Maybe only one spouse is working, so that money would help out quite a bit. My step mom is supporting 2 girls, and my unemployed temporarily disabled father...so any little bit she can get will help her out alot.
sharpbws
Freshman Poster

Post by sharpbws »

kristy_571 wrote: Whatever. Most of us work our asses off and deserve the $300 stimulus. Plus everyone knows the economy is in shambles right now. Think about people that have families. Maybe only one spouse is working, so that money would help out quite a bit. My step mom is supporting 2 girls, and my unemployed temporarily disabled father...so any little bit she can get will help her out alot.
I don't agree. This whole plan is ridiculous. It ASSUMES that everyone is going to go out and buy something made in the USA with their $300/$600 check. Most people have already indicated they'll use the money to either pay off debt or put into savings; neither of which will help stimulate the economy.

The economy is in shambles because people "gambled" on continued increases in the real estate market and they guessed wrong. They bought more house than they could afford, assuming that property valuations would continue to rise and that they could refinance after 1-2 years; pocketing the appreication in the form of a 2nd mortgage.

The US stock market is actually only 6-7% below it's all time highs.

Basically its the screwed up Democratic Congress who voted to give us back our Regan/Bush tax cuts for one more year. They do not intend to renew the tax cuts that expire in 2007 so all of our taxes were due to increase in 2008 anyway. They're just giving us back the money that would have been ours anyway.

Well not everybody. I won't get a check. My AGI is significantly above the $175,000 threshhold for the stimulus payment. So actually guys like me are funding the whole program with money we WOULD have have returned to us if the Regan/Bush tax cuts had been maintained in 2008.

A thank you would be nice...............
Brad
kristy_571
Freshman Poster

Post by kristy_571 »

People that do make more money are unfairly taxed Brad. I will agree with that. And, thank you. :D

Regardless of what happend with the real estate market ect ect... I did not buy an overpriced house..so it has nothing to do with me. My parents bought their house before the prices went up too high..so it is not their fault either. All I can see is that any money my stepmother can get to help support her husband and 2 children is going to help her alot. When you see a 40 year old woman struggling to pay the bills, it hurts. I try to help as much as I can..but I am not rich either. So I can only think about my mother and my sisters, and my dad. That is all that matters to me. And I do want to say that although you are overtaxed, it does help out those that do deserve it.