Do we give away too much free info as Steve R claims?!

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Winston
Site Admin

Do we give away too much free info as Steve R claims?!

Post by Winston »

I want to know what you all think of this. Steve R claims that I am giving away too much info for free on Happier Abroad, and that I ought to make it a private club with very little public info and charge money for admission.

Here's the problem with that:

Every great speaker and motivational/self-help guru gives away information and advice for free. That's how they reach out and connect with people. Examples are Tony Robbins and Wayne Dyer. They give away a ton of content for free, yet people still pay for their materials, books and seminars, because they love them. They know how to reach out and connect with people. They are still very successful, and in fact, Tony Robbins is the most successful motivational guru in the America. If you knew anything about them, you'd know that. One thing they do NOT do, is tell all their fans that they have to join a "private club" before they will tell them anything. That would be stupid and shady.

What Steve suggests is that one should only give out five minutes of info or one short paragraph of info, and then charge big bucks for the rest of the info! That's the kind of attitude and tactics that a CON ARTIST or HUSTLER focused on SHORT TERM RESULTS would have! Geez! Yet he speaks so adamantly about it! Dang! I can't believe it.

Understand this: NO successful motivational speaker operates that way. NONE. Name one successful guru that operate the way he recommends. Just one! You can't! So why does he insist on such bad shitty ideas? Where does he get them? What is his basis? Geez. WTF?!

There is no reason or precedent for such a strategy. Only con artists, scammers and hustlers looking for a quick buck operate like that. Only shady characters give a little info and then ask for a lot of money for the rest of it. Think about it.

And why does he say that I give away too much free info for free on HappierAbroad.com? Wtf? What does he expect me to do? Have only one short paragraph and one 5 minute video on my home page, and then ask people to pay big bucks for the rest of the site? Is he crazy? Ask any sane person on my forum if that would be better for this movement. If I did that, my site would suck majorly! I'm not going to screw up my movement with his bad ideas. NO WAY JOSE!!!!!!

I'm not self-destructive and I don't like to make foolish decisions. I'm not the kind of guy who earns $80,000 and then squanders it all in bad investments and then becomes broke, as Steve claims to have done. Why do white guys always seem to squander all their money on bad investments or gambling and then become broke?! Is it in their genes or blood to be self-destructive? None of my Asian friends have ever done that! Only white guys seem to do that. Why?!

It seems he is way too consumed by GREED. He doesn't enjoy helping others unless he's rewarded with big bucks for it. WTH?! That's a really BAD attitude. The universe does not reward such an attitude. People who enjoy helping others without being hung up on consequences are the ones who get rewarded. Why doesn't he get that?

I've noticed that even when he plays a board game, he will keep trying to take a second turn without waiting for me to take my turn. LOL. Usually everyone will wait their turn, but he doesn't for some reason, even after he's reminded many times! Taking two turns is illegal. Even kids know that! So how can he keep forgetting that? LOL. Sometimes the little things speak volumes. Even though it's just a board game, this reflects a huge impulsiveness in his personality to act without thinking. That's very dangerous and reckless when carried out into the real world.

He also thinks that just by putting up a webpage or Twitter page with little content and a phone number, that he will get instant results and monetary rewards! And then when it doesn't happen, he gripes and complains that guys out there are too lazy and stingy! WTH? That's totally unrealistic.

For example, here is his matchmaking site:

http://www.guysdatingutopia.info
which redirects to:
https://twitter.com/matchmakerradio

As you can see, it contains a bunch of tweets and links, a one sentence intro, and a phone number. Very little content at all. And then he expects instant results with that, and then blames everyone when he doesn't?!

WTF is he thinking? I don't get him. Do you? Why can't he see the folly of his ways and change? His reasoning and strategy don't make sense.
Last edited by Winston on November 11th, 2013, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Why do you care so much Winston? Why not just work on doing things how you want them done? I haven't the time or energy to worry about what this guy is doing or if it's worthwhile. Call me selfish but I worry about my own life.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Because the guy won't listen. He thinks that he can just put up a simple webpage with very little content, and then have money and business rolling in. WTF? That's dreaming! Then when it doesn't work out that way, he blames everyone else!

It simply doesn't work that way. You gotta do a lot more to reach out and connect with people and produce a lot of good content and establish your image and reputation. That's common sense. So why doesn't he get it?

Do you think his expectations are realistic and logical?

How is it that I can explain something so simple to him over and over again, yet he persists in the delusion that he is right? WTF? His ideas are totally UPSIDE DOWN and he won't listen.

He has the wrong idea totally, yet his voice is very adamant that he's right, and he can't stop repeating his wrong ideas over and over again.

It's REALLY REALLY frustrating trying to work with someone like that, who won't listen to common sense logic and won't even humble himself, but keeps talking nonstop like a know-it-all. Sheesh. Why are so many American men like this?

Why does he think like this? Can someone explain him?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Winston wrote:Because the guy won't listen. He thinks that he can just put up a simple webpage with very little content, and then have money and business rolling in. WTF? That's dreaming! Then when it doesn't work out that way, he blames everyone else!

It simply doesn't work that way. You gotta do a lot more to reach out and connect with people and produce a lot of good content and establish your image and reputation. That's common sense. So why doesn't he get it?

Do you think his expectations are realistic and logical?

How is it that I can explain something so simple to him over and over again, yet he persists in the delusion that he is right? WTF? His ideas are totally UPSIDE DOWN and he won't listen.

He has the wrong idea totally, yet his voice is very adamant that he's right, and he can't stop repeating his wrong ideas over and over again.

It's REALLY REALLY frustrating trying to work with someone like that, who won't listen to common sense logic and won't even humble himself, but keeps talking nonstop like a know-it-all. Sheesh. Why are so many American men like this?

Why does he think like this? Can someone explain him?
First, aren't you a Taiwanese born in America? Doesn't that make you an American?

Second, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. If the guy won't listen, move on without him. Simple as that.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

What info does he think should be put behind a pay wall? They're addressing the same question at Roosh wrt data sheets, but we don't have much specific info like that. It's more a point of view and thrashing out of ideas here.

Stay true to your brand, Winston, which is: a bit eccentric and megalomaniacal, but fundamentally honest and decent, and genuinely wanting to help. I think there's money to be made in that rep over the long haul. Keep your focus on social change and helping as many people as possible.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

What a ludicrous idea from Steve R! Turning your website into a pay-for-information website, would destroy the whole point of HappierAbroad; you would be turning this website into a gimmicky-website only interested in taking people's money--instead of trying to help people who are suffering, who want to travel, or who want to leave their country for a better place.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

anamericaninbangkok wrote: First, aren't you a Taiwanese born in America? Doesn't that make you an American?

Second, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. If the guy won't listen, move on without him. Simple as that.
I wasn't born in America. I came when I was 3. But I'm an American citizen so by American standards, that makes me an American, or Asian American. But in other countries, they do not consider an Asian guy who is an American citizens to be "American". Why do you ask?

Do you think it's logical to put out a small webpage or little content and then except monetary rewards to automatically start pouring in? And then poo hoo and blame everyone when it doesn't work out that way?

A reasonable person would say, "Oh I guess it's not as easy as I thought. I'll have to look for another way to make it happen. Maybe I will ask people who have more experience and knowledge with online marketing for their advice and learn from them." But a reasonable person would NOT keep blaming others because his naive plan didn't work. That's insane. How can someone be like that?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

zboy1 wrote:What a ludicrous idea from Steve R! Turning your website into a pay-for-information website, would destroy the whole point of HappierAbroad; you would be turning this website into a gimmicky-website only interested in taking people's money--instead of trying to help people who are suffering, who want to travel, or who want to leave their country for a better place.
Exactly. Only hustlers looking for short term profit operate that way. It's also snobby to make a private club and withhold information and advice from everyone unless they pay.

To help others you gotta reach out and CONNECT with them first. Only then will they trust you and like you and visit your site and maybe pay for something. You gotta produce good CONTENT too. That's a must. But Steve wants to put a GATE with a LOCK around this movement and say "Only special members who pay are worthy to enter." Wtf?! That's crazy!

And now he wants to take down the YouTube videos we did together, simply because he felt that he put out free content on YouTube and got nothing for it. Well what did he expect? What a bad poo hoo attitude! See here: viewtopic.php?p=157710#157710
Last edited by Winston on November 9th, 2013, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Winston wrote:I wasn't born in America. I came when I was 3. But I'm an American citizen so by American standards, that makes me an American, or Asian American. But in other countries, they do not consider an Asian guy who is an American citizens to be "American". Why do you ask?

Do you think it's logical to put out a small webpage or little content and then except monetary rewards to automatically start pouring in? And then poo hoo and blame everyone when it doesn't work out that way?

A reasonable person would say, "Oh I guess it's not as easy as I thought. I'll have to look for another way to make it happen. Maybe I will ask people who have more experience and knowledge with online marketing for their advice and learn from them." But a reasonable person would NOT keep blaming others because his naive plan didn't work. That's insane. How can someone be like that?
Why do you ask? Why are so many American men like this?
You're an Asian-American to me. The reason I ask is because of your question "Why are so many American men like this?"

Why do you have such a strong tendency to stereotype all Americans? Without looking in depth to exactly what is the situation with Steve it's hard for me to say what his reasons are for doing things the way he does them, but like I said, I personally could care less. Why do you put so much value on what others think? I'm not going to get into a long drawn out discussion about this but it seems to me like you care a lot about what others think. If he's not doing things the way you think is best, why not just move on, forget his ass, and do things how you want?

As far as putting out a small page or little content, there are plenty of people who do it successfully. What about all those who simply make a landing page to a link for a book, but give little information or no preview of the info inside and then sell the book for $59? Obviously if something's not working, you need to look into alternatives.

I'm definitely not saying it's right what the guy is doing but if you're so vehemently against what he's doing, why not just work alone? Or do you just feel like you need to understand why he does things the way he does?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

anamericaninbangkok wrote:
Winston wrote:I wasn't born in America. I came when I was 3. But I'm an American citizen so by American standards, that makes me an American, or Asian American. But in other countries, they do not consider an Asian guy who is an American citizens to be "American". Why do you ask?

Why do you ask? Why are so many American men like this?
You're an Asian-American to me. The reason I ask is because of your question "Why are so many American men like this?"

Why do you have such a strong tendency to stereotype all Americans? Without looking in depth to exactly what is the situation with Steve it's hard for me to say what his reasons are for doing things the way he does them, but like I said, I personally could care less. Why do you put so much value on what others think? I'm not going to get into a long drawn out discussion about this but it seems to me like you care a lot about what others think. If he's not doing things the way you think is best, why not just move on, forget his a**, and do things how you want?

As far as putting out a small page or little content, there are plenty of people who do it successfully. What about all those who simply make a landing page to a link for a book, but give little information or no preview of the info inside and then sell the book for $59? Obviously if something's not working, you need to look into alternatives.

I'm definitely not saying it's right what the guy is doing but if you're so vehemently against what he's doing, why not just work alone? Or do you just feel like you need to understand why he does things the way he does?
I was referring to White Americans. I'm not stereotyping, just pointing patterns I've seen again and again. But that's another subject.

Can you give me an example of a successful person who puts out very little content and gets a good income from it? Unless you are a celebrity or very good in internet marketing, that just won't work. Sure tons of people put up a webpage and charge a lot of money for the book or course, but most those sites just sit there without getting results. Some use flashy gimmicks and sales pitches that we've all seen before. But Steve doesn't even want to do that. He just wants to put up a simple site with nothing flashy or lengthy, and then expect the dough to roll from there, and if not, then he sees everyone as lazy and stingy and unworthy of his help. That's such a bad snobby attitude for sure.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

AiB,
Here is a list of Steve's websites that I know of:

viewtopic.php?t=20995

Can you look at them and figure out what they are about? I can't. They are too simple and vague. Yet he they are enough and sufficient. I don't know why. He won't see it any other way.

Can you figure out why he expects results from sites like that? And do you have any advice for him on what to do with those sites?

anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

From what I've seen and what is up right now I would not give him shit for business. But then again, I am not into internet dating and never have been. But speaking openly, his sites are shit and aren't going to make a dime.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

gsjackson wrote:
Stay true to your brand, Winston, which is: a bit eccentric and megalomaniacal, but fundamentally honest and decent, and genuinely wanting to help. I think there's money to be made in that rep over the long haul. Keep your focus on social change and helping as many people as possible.
Listen to this advice. It comes from a man of wisdom and is spot-on.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Well Steve's belief is that if you put too much content on a website, then you are giving away free information to "unworthy people". Is that a snooty uptight attitude or what? I can't believe it.

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Winston wrote:Can you give me an example of a successful person who puts out very little content and gets a good income from it? Unless you are a celebrity or very good in internet marketing, that just won't work. Sure tons of people put up a webpage and charge a lot of money for the book or course, but most those sites just sit there without getting results. Some use flashy gimmicks and sales pitches that we've all seen before. But Steve doesn't even want to do that. He just wants to put up a simple site with nothing flashy or lengthy, and then expect the dough to roll from there, and if not, then he sees everyone as lazy and stingy and unworthy of his help. That's such a bad snobby attitude for sure.
Generally the "Dear Friend" type sales-letter landing page works when you are solving a highly specific technical problem and when you can get quality traffic from popular sites linking to you. It doesn't sound like Steve R is in that position.