Tips for Vietnam

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Tips for Vietnam

Post by Bao3niang »

So I've been using www.vietnameselove.com on a regular basis and want to re-locate to Vietnam in the future. I would like to take a trip or two and meeting/getting to know the girls I find most attractive (pick Top 3 or Top 5). So far, these are the places I'm consdering renting or buying a place in:

1) Ho Chi Minh City (beautiful French architecture, many of the girls I've contacted live there, well paid if you work there)-I may pick Tay Ninh if I eventually decide to move away from the city. Why Tay Ninh interests me is because they follow a religion called Cao Dai, which is a hybrid religion. I'm Christian so of course I know that Cao Dai is idolatrous but I'm still interested.

2) Da Nang (beautiful beaches, quiet)

3) Nha Trang (again, I like the ocean)

4) Hanoi (it is the capital/political center, but none of the girls I've contacted on Viet Love live there, plus it is too close to Guangxi and a large part of my family already lives in Chongqing, so they can access me too easily)

I don't know about Hue (can't say the name in English but in Chinese it's 顺化). Or can anyone suggest some other places?

If you are currently living in Vietnam/have lived there, or at least been there, please give me any tips you can!
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I'll second the motion for some Vietnam tips. My 2014 plan is to start things off by flying to either Hanoi or Saigon. Which one's best in terms or dating/p4p/general living?

I'd also love some tips for finding long stay hotels with good rates.

If Vietnam is good I'll stick around. I think I'll love the food but hate the motorbikes. I guess the weather is much the same as Guangdong, so I'll be sure to pack a heck of a lot of umbrellas.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

Once I begin dating in Vietnam, they only thing that may worry me is how much the girl will allow herself to be influenced by her parents. In China, parental / family pressure has destroyed a ton of good relationships (ex: magnum), even those that had 99% potential to develop into marriage.

I'm very individualistic/self-directed and I believe a relationship is STRICTLY between me and the woman. If it were me, I may or may not introduce her to my family, at least not a difficult and abusive one like my own (I've been living with my mother's side since she and my dad divorced 10 years ago).
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

I lived in a Vietnam for a few years. I think my favorite place was Vung Tau. It's about 90 minutes south of Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) by hydrofoil. It's smaller and cleaner than Saigon without the constant sound of motorbikes driving by. There were plenty of hotels and a few restaurants serving western food. I think full service is on the menu at a lot of massage parlors. The girls at the hostess bars are friendly and a lot less pushy than in the bigger cities.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

Traveler, what's your experience with Vietnamese girls overall? And where are you now?

Well most of the girls on www.vietnameselove.com are from Saigon, but personally I think Da Nang, Nha Trang, and Tay Ninh (90km Northeast of HCMC and home of the Cao Dai faith) could be more peaceful. And of course the place (Vung Tau) you just mentioned.

HCMC looks pretty crowded just from Google Images, and I've been in Beijing for the last 5 years.

Back to girls, how to date Vietnamese girls? Do they mind if you are a a few years younger than them? I'm 18 but most of the ones I met on www.vietnameselove.com are 20-24. Ashley Vo from Da Nang is about the same age as me. Do they mind if your Vietnamese is crap when you first date them (I suck now but I learn languages fairly quickly).

I would appreciate it if my future Vietnamese lady were interested in the Chinese language/culture but so far only know one that plans on studying Chinese. She watches lots of Chinese movies thoguh (with subtitles). Worst case cenarion when with a Vietnam lady (or any country abroad)? A large family network begging for support.

However, is it valid to make the assumption that girls in Vietnam who can access the internet on a regular basis are at least considered middle-class?

P.S.

I am not a wife-hunter like those mainland Chinese+Taiwanese+Korean men whom many of the locals despise. I am looking for a serious connection / relationship!
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

Bao3niang wrote:Traveler, what's your experience with Vietnamese girls overall? And where are you now?

Well most of the girls on www.vietnameselove.com are from Saigon, but personally I think Da Nang, Nha Trang, and Tay Ninh (90km Northeast of HCMC and home of the Cao Dai faith) could be more peaceful. And of course the place (Vung Tau) you just mentioned.

HCMC looks pretty crowded just from Google Images, and I've been in Beijing for the last 5 years.

Back to girls, how to date Vietnamese girls? Do they mind if you are a a few years younger than them? I'm 18 but most of the ones I met on www.vietnameselove.com are 20-24. Ashley Vo from Da Nang is about the same age as me. Do they mind if your Vietnamese is crap when you first date them (I suck now but I learn languages fairly quickly).

I would appreciate it if my future Vietnamese lady were interested in the Chinese language/culture but so far only know one that plans on studying Chinese. She watches lots of Chinese movies thoguh (with subtitles). Worst case cenarion when with a Vietnam lady (or any country abroad)? A large family network begging for support.

However, is it valid to make the assumption that girls in Vietnam who can access the internet on a regular basis are at least considered middle-class?

P.S.

I am not a wife-hunter like those mainland Chinese+Taiwanese+Korean men whom many of the locals despise. I am looking for a serious connection / relationship!
I'm in Korea at the moment. There are a lot of people of Chinese descent in Vietnam. A lot of Chinese live in District 5 of Ho Chi Minh City. Some of the expats I knew that married Vietnamese women were very happy with their relationships. Others were not so lucky. I worked with a guy who said that when his Vietnamese in-laws came for a visit, laptops and cellphones would mysteriously disappear. Some Vietnamese think that if one of the women in the family marries a westerner then it's like winning the lottery. The whole family expects to be able to retire and live a life of luxury paid for by the westerner. You can access the internet at very cheap rates at internet cafes. So very poor girls can have internet access. I have heard good things about Da Nang. I didn't really care for Nha Trang. Too many tour groups. A Vietnamese women invited me to stay with her family in Tay Ninh for a few days. It's a nice, quiet town that can quickly become boring.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

Thing is I am Asian by ethnicity, not white.

Should I make it clear from early on in the relationship that in-laws / relatives of the girl are not welcome unless they are nice and helpful?

Maybe I should ask how they access their internet.

What kinds of girls should I stay away from?
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!