Simple Businesses to Start

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Re: Simple Businesses to Start

Post by hypermak »

MrMan wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 7:35 pm
hypermak wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 10:39 pm
MrMan wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 9:13 pm
We have bounced around throughout our married lives. I finished up a two-year contract there a couple of years ago and we all moved back to the US. Some of my posts were written when I lived there.

My wife may be getting some land there soon, so if stuff gets too crazy in the US, may be could live there.
I see @MrMan, thanks for clarifying. So I guess you don't miss life in SEA much at the moment?
I'm open to opportunities. I have a pretty good career in the US right now, on track for some 'golden handcuffs', but I shouldn't let that hold me back or limit me. My kids are at an age where studying overseas isn't the best option. If you happen to get free tuition at an international school for as many kids as I have, the US government counts that as cash income, which, if your salary is high enough, diminishes some of the tax benefits of working overseas. But I am open. My wife and I are thinking of investing in websites in Indonesia which could take us there, and it looks like she will be coming into some land soon, so that could take us back. I also have a couple of projects I could work on there, but there is no specific deadline.
I see, that's great to hear. The Covid situation has slowed down all economies including SEA but, from what I hear, the fastest to bounce back in this part of the world would be exactly Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines. My work location is biased towards foreign investment but, from what I read, these countries have plenty of internal consumption economy to propel them away when the pandemic emergency subsides.

So you are considering completing your career track and being back to Indonesia as a retiree?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

MrMan wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 7:52 pm
Starting a franchise is another risk-reduction strategy. Depending on the company selling the franchise, they may offer a lot of support and have experience helping new business owners get started. The company's advertising may send customers your way.
Preciesly. Franchisees benefit from the hand-holding and get the training that can later lead to open one's own small business. The franchise "scoffers" tend to overlook that benefit.

Anytime you are a newbie, hand holding is always welcome to lead you to success. That comes at a premium in terms of cost, but it is often worth it.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 8:54 pm
MrMan wrote:
Starting a franchise is another risk-reduction strategy. Depending on the company selling the franchise, they may offer a lot of support and have experience helping new business owners get started. The company's advertising may send customers your way.
Preciesly. Franchisees benefit from the hand-holding and get the training that can later lead to open one's own small business. The franchise "scoffers" tend to overlook that benefit.

Anytime you are a newbie, hand holding is always welcome to lead you to success. That comes at a premium in terms of cost, but it is often worth it.
The obvious downside is that you have to come up with money every month no matter what, so a negative income is possible. The failure rate of franchises is quite high if you count people who have to sell their franchise to someone else at a loss.
Light
Freshman Poster

Post by Light »

Smartphone repair business?
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Cornfed wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 9:34 pm
MrMan wrote:

The obvious downside is that you have to come up with money every month no matter what, so a negative income is possible. The failure rate of franchises is quite high if you count people who have to sell their franchise to someone else at a loss.
LITERALLY EVERYTHING is a downside to you Corny. That's why you are where you are and where you always will be. Guys like you CAN'T succeed in business because you're too scared and you focus on the eternal downside, most of it fictitious.

If you're not an action-oriented person ready to engage in business, get out of the way and let the big boys talk business. No one needs your opinion. No one cares if you stay a failure. So just zip it up!

You're mindset is COMPLETELY screwed up with excuses. I don't like people like that and I don't listen to them at all. They only want to spread their pessimism around like a disease so others don't pass them by.
Light
Freshman Poster

Post by Light »

July 27th, 2020, 10:21 pm
Cornfed wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 9:34 pm
MrMan wrote:

LITERALLY EVERYTHING is a downside to you Corny. That's why you are where you are and where you always will be. Guys like you CAN'T succeed in business because you're too scared and you focus on the eternal downside, most of it fictitious.

If you're not an action-oriented person ready to engage in business, get out of the way and let the big boys talk business. No one needs your opinion. No one cares if you stay a failure. So just zip it up!

You're mindset is COMPLETELY screwed up with excuses. I don't like people like that and I don't listen to them at all. They only want to spread their pessimism around like a disease so others don't pass them by.
Almost every business will have a possibility of failure because a business is like any other investment, with possible risks and rewards. I don't think Cornfed or anyone could create a business with a 100% success rate or 0% risk because anything can happen. Business wouldn't be business without risks. Centuries old businesses go bankrupt once in awhile from unforeseen Black Swan events or other events even if they had the best management and a good product. There's some good sayings that can also relate to business like No risk, no reward and Fortune favors the bold. People who start a business accept the possibility of difficulties at the beginning and the possible risk of failure while working to achieve success and do their best to make it successful.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Light wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 10:54 pm
Almost every business will have a possibility of failure because a business is like any other investment, with possible risks and rewards. I don't think Cornfed or anyone could create a business with a 100% success rate or 0% risk because anything can happen. Business wouldn't be business without risks. Centuries old businesses go bankrupt once in awhile from unforeseen Black Swan events or other events even if they had the best management and a good product. There's some good sayings that can also relate to business like No risk, no reward and Fortune favors the bold. People who start a business accept the possibility of difficulties at the beginning and the possible risk of failure while working to achieve success and do their best to make it successful.
100% correct, but Cornfed has a history of naysaying anything related to business. This is a mindset problem that do-nothing people everywhere fall into. They essentially talk themselves out of taking any business action because of an over abundance of fear. That's not bad if it only affected them. But they constantly want OTHERS to fall into their fear traps so they take no action. I abhor that practice and I don't tolerate it because it comes from losers.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

If you ACTUALLY, EVER ran a business you would know that what Cornfed said is right. Only maybe the top 10% of franchises have the brand value and the training infrastructure you need to maximise your chances of having a successful shop which recoups your investment in 5/8 years and is profitable thereafter.

Try to open a McDonald's, Starbucks or Calzedonia franchise vs an unknown one and see how much premium you have to pay for the license.

Many franchises are in the business of trapping franchisees in a spiral of debt until they are run to the ground, and they have collected years of commissions and sold mediocre stock at inflated prices.

Like your phoney business gurus, it would pay to do a little homework or learn from people who are in the business, before you tout your opinions as precious knowledge for the benefit of mankind.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

hypermak wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 10:59 pm

If you ACTUALLY, EVER ran a business you would know that what Cornfed said is right. Only maybe the top 5% of franchises have the brand value and the training infrastructure you need to maximise your chances of having a successful shop which recoups your investment in 5/8 years and is profitable thereafter.

Try to open a McDonald's, Starbucks or Calzedonia franchise vs an unknown one and see how much premium you have to pay for the license.

Many franchises are in the business of trapping franchisees in a spiral of payments and debts until they are run to the ground, and they have collected years of commissions and sold mediocre stock at inflated prices.

Like your phoney business gurus, it would pay to do a little homework or learn from people who are in the business, before you tout your opinions as precious knowledge for the benefit of mankind.
Small, mom and pop businesses are not worth my time. I am far past that level. In fact, I actually help FINANCE people who seek to be FRANCHISERS of their businesses so I don't need your worthless opinion here, employee boy..

But if I had a dollar for every idiot like you who tried to fear-monger me out of taking business actions, I'd be far wealthier.

You are not a business since you are just an employee at one (and that is even doubtful). The moment you bring in six figures a year without having to work, you can come lecture me about business acumen. Until then, get back to mopping those floors, peeling those potatoes, and keeping your prostitute-diseased mouth shut.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

You're mindset is COMPLETELY screwed up with excuses.
I don’t have anything to excuse. I’m just giving people food for thought before they risk losing everything. It is easy to be gung ho about starting businesses if you have been looked after by the government for being a negro your whole life.
Light
Freshman Poster

Post by Light »

hypermak wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 10:59 pm

If you ACTUALLY, EVER ran a business you would know that what Cornfed said is right. Only maybe the top 10% of franchises have the brand value and the training infrastructure you need to maximise your chances of having a successful shop which recoups your investment in 5/8 years and is profitable thereafter.

Many franchises are in the business of trapping franchisees in a spiral of debt until they are run to the ground, and they have collected years of commissions and sold mediocre stock at inflated prices.

I don't know about everywhere but I think franchisees like any other business owner can take precautions like opening the franchise under a LLC holding company or something, so they are not personally liable for the debt of the business. A Chapter 11 restructuring like President Trump famously did about 4 times if I remember correctly could shave some of the debt if they have bank loans. Anyone putting huge sums of money into a business should always have a lawyer to help them make it so if it fails, they don't lose much or they lose nothing. Maybe there are countries without those protections which Hypermak knows about but most people living in a Western nation will be shielded if they establish a franchise the correct way.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

Light wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 11:15 pm
I don't know about everywhere but I think franchisees like any other business owner can take precautions like opening the franchise under a LLC holding company or something, so they are not personally liable for the debt of the business. A Chapter 11 restructuring like President Trump famously did about 4 times if I remember correctly could shave some of the debt if they have bank loans. Anyone putting huge sums of money into a business should always have a lawyer to help them make it so if it fails, they don't lose much or they lose nothing. Maybe there are countries without those protections which Hypermak knows about but most people living in a Western nation will be shielded if they establish a franchise the correct way.
That's true in every country I can think of, including Italy, the UK and probably the Philippines, @Light, but I was referring to the initial investment put into the holding company, money that usually comes from the franchisee as an individual, a group, a family, etc.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Light wrote:
I don't know about everywhere but I think franchisees like any other business owner can take precautions like opening the franchise under a LLC holding company or something, so they are not personally liable for the debt of the business. A Chapter 11 restructuring like President Trump famously did about 4 times if I remember correctly could shave some of the debt if they have bank loans. Anyone putting huge sums of money into a business should always have a lawyer to help them make it so if it fails, they don't lose much or they lose nothing.
You can protect yourself against unforeseen expenses such as lawsuits that way, but the money to purchase the franchise and pay the ongoing fees has to come from somewhere and banks aren’t going to be dumb enough to lend you money without a personal guarantee. Unless you are already rich and well-connected, there is no way to come out of a business failure unscathed.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

Cornfed wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 11:26 pm
Light wrote:
I don't know about everywhere but I think franchisees like any other business owner can take precautions like opening the franchise under a LLC holding company or something, so they are not personally liable for the debt of the business. A Chapter 11 restructuring like President Trump famously did about 4 times if I remember correctly could shave some of the debt if they have bank loans. Anyone putting huge sums of money into a business should always have a lawyer to help them make it so if it fails, they don't lose much or they lose nothing.
You can protect yourself against unforeseen expenses such as lawsuits that way, but the money to purchase the franchise and pay the ongoing fees has to come from somewhere and banks aren’t going to be dumb enough to lend you money without a personal guarantee. Unless you are already rich and well-connected, there is no way to come out of a business failure unscathed.
Correct.
Light
Freshman Poster

Post by Light »

Cornfed wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 11:26 pm
Light wrote:
I agree with that statement.