TEFL or CELTA!

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
ErikHeaven
Experienced Poster

TEFL or CELTA!

Post by ErikHeaven »

I went to 1-to-1 TEFL and i seen that the teachers abroad got paid really low, less than 1,000 a month. I know you have covered this before as i need some links to high paying jobs with TEFL or CELTA. Also would a Bachelors in anything qualify you to teach and get paid well in a foreign country?
I am really desperate to leave here and i need your thoughts.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

ErikHeaven
Experienced Poster

Post by ErikHeaven »

They on the website included the lists of countries that accept people who do not have degrees such as China, yet the pay was so small.
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

Ya there seem to be varying scenarios to teaching abroad. Ladislav described how he made great money teaching (especially when he was in the middle east) and was able to save up quite a bit, while some of the guys here are in "maintain" mode where it's near impossible for them to increase their savings but they live a comfortable and happy life abroad

Living on meagre means while exploring a new place still seems better than staying in the US and dying inside a little more each day.
ErikHeaven
Experienced Poster

Post by ErikHeaven »

If i cannot find a job with at least 2,500 a month i am not interested.
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

If living expenses are $200-400 a month, $2500 a month is like making 20 grand a month in the states. Remember that being a teacher was never about making big bucks. No one is going to shower you with riches just because you're a foreigner. Moreover teaching English is hardly some great service to the world. It's about as impressive as teaching people to breath. Frankly I despise English, a language created by sodomites, I hope to move abroad, learn another language or two and hopefully not have to hear this vile tongue very often.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

CELTA/DELTA pays more. A BA with a CELTA/DELTA can get you jobs in Saudi Arabia paying 6K a month. Yes, siree. But I would start out with the TEFL and then do a DELTA/CELTA later. Just get out of the country, smell the roses. look around and see what is happening. Your $1000 a month job should be your first one to put on your resume.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Re: TEFL or CELTA!

Post by Jackal »

ErikHeaven wrote:I went to 1-to-1 TEFL and i seen that the teachers abroad got paid really low, less than 1,000 a month. I know you have covered this before as i need some links to high paying jobs with TEFL or CELTA. Also would a Bachelors in anything qualify you to teach and get paid well in a foreign country?
I am really desperate to leave here and i need your thoughts.
ErikHeaven wrote:If i cannot find a job with at least 2,500 a month i am not interested.
And this is why most Americans will never live overseas! Their thinking is too limited and they calculate things based on the cost of living in the US. (Unless of course, you are in debt and have calculated that you need to pay off a certain amount each month--then that's a reasonable reason to feel you need a certain amount).

If the cost of living in a country is low, you simply don't NEED much money to live on and have fun. Also, you have to figure out what your net savings will be based on what extras are included. It's better to get paid 1000 USD a month and get an apartment and utilities for free than it is to get paid 1500 and then have to pay 700 per month for the apartment plus utilities (net savings: 800 USD). Also, in some jobs you will get teacher discounts on transportation which is another savings right there!

You'll never get everything in one place. There are always trade-offs. You generally won't find a high-paying job in a beautiful, fun, and convenient location with minimal requirements.

If you're serious about going overseas and you don't have a high level of education, you have to be willing to sacrifice. If not, save yourself the frustration and stay home.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

ladislav wrote:A BA with a CELTA/DELTA can get you jobs in Saudi Arabia paying 6K a month.
Just out of curiosity, are there any non-Arab countries which pay ESL teachers a lot? I heard that South Korea is one, but I haven't verified that.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Just out of curiosity, are there any non-Arab countries which pay ESL teachers a lot? I heard that South Korea is one, but I haven't verified that
There are those jobs but they are very few. I have seen a job in Singapore paying 110K a year. And I applied for it. Did not get it.

Korean jobs pay 2k a month for the most part. Most people in Japan, Korea, Taiwan ( and there is an occasional job in Malaysia), etc save $1000 a month as a rule. Again, you always hear stories about someone making a killing in Korea and Japan but then again, you hear stories about someone becoming a Hollywood star, too, and making 250 million a year, too. Rare. Brunei likes to hire Brits and Commonwealth people, not Yanks.

When I was in Japan, I was working my butt off and making over 4K a month. You can do it if you are willing to work hard but then your work quality may suffer, you will start oversleeping and may lose your job. That is what happened to me.

There are jobs in Germany/Holland that pay well, but you are heavily taxed and also, there are Brits vying for those jobs with you. And they are EU nationals and treat Americans in the way a junkayrd dog would treat you if you tried to jump over the junkyard wall.

Hong Kong "has" 'well paying' jobs- to the tune of 4K a month but rarely. Most again would enable you to save $1000 a month. That seems to be the standard for most ESL jobs.

Saudi, believe it or not is the best place to work and make money. The UAE, Oman and Kuwait are mainly the domains of Brits, gays, feminists and their sympathizers. Oman is run by rude and sullen Indians who treat everyone like a coolie. Except if it is a blond woman. A straight American male does not last long.

Again, good jobs in Saudi are harder to find. Aramco, Raytheon and the BAE are the top payers. And they post for vacancies every several months. If the company is British, they as a rule do not like Americans ( unless they are gay ) are all over them as stink on shit, and love firing them for every little infraction while protecting their own alcoholics, gays , Indians, and British Pakistanis at all costs as well as anyone who is inside their inner circle.

Plus the percentage of nasty, pedantic and whingeing people among the Brits is so high that dealing with them is a daily pain. That and the fact that making friends with them is way harder than with Americans as they are given to reporting you to superiors behind your back and backstabbing and maliciously gossiping and harassing you every chance they get. That is the way they were brought up in their vicious and divisive class system. Try and avoid British outfits at all costs.

Everyone else pays some $2700-3500 a month, but the vacations are long and there are no females at work to antagonize you. Your savings average $20K a year in Saudi without trying or skimping/saving.

You may want to get an IELTS certified examiner's qualification and go to China ( google for venues). This is the way to make money.
Last edited by ladislav on May 29th, 2011, 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

I just finished and passed the CELTA in Thailand. Over half of the people in our class were experienced teachers. They needed the CELTA either to get a better work opportunity or because a new employer required it as a condition for work. I got the CELTA because it's the most credible and recognized certification (unless you go to a regular university and get a Masters in education). If you are going to go through all the trouble and expense of getting a certificate , you might as well get a CELTA. Believe me, you only want to go through this hassle once. But be warned it is really tough - I was getting up at 6:00 AM and going to bed at ll PM every day. But, it's only for a month.
Last edited by MrPeabody on May 29th, 2011, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ErikHeaven
Experienced Poster

Post by ErikHeaven »

Thanks ladislav and Mr peabody. I brought up my salary requirements because i have a student loan to pay back and a daughter i support.
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

@Jackal,

You should be ecstatic that Americans don't want to get out more to other countries based on ignorance and complacency. That would be more coons, goons, manginas, simps, captain-save-a-ho's, et. al. types of djinn that would unleash onto the earth and fulfill the prophecy if they overcame that. So don't worry, be slappy happy. :O)
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

@Ladislav
Thanks for the detailed reply, but now that I think about it, I've begun to enjoy life in Hungary so much that I don't want to leave. And after having fought a hard battle to get a grasp of Hungarian, I'm not willing to back to square one again with another language quite yet. I think my medium-term goal is to get EU citizenship.
ErikHeaven wrote:I brought up my salary requirements because i have a student loan to pay back and a daughter i support.
Ah, okay, then your reasoning is understandable. Moving overseas is difficult when you have such commitments. Maybe you could try volunteering for some American organization that is overseas like the Peace Corps or something like that which might help you pay back your loans?
E_Irizarry wrote:@Jackal,

You should be ecstatic that Americans don't want to get out more to other countries based on ignorance and complacency. That would be more coons, goons, manginas, simps, captain-save-a-ho's, et. al. types of djinn that would unleash onto the earth and fulfill the prophecy if they overcame that. So don't worry, be slappy happy. :O)
I agree!
Last edited by Jackal on May 29th, 2011, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

MrPeabody wrote:I got the CELTA because it's the most credible and recognized certification (unless you go to a regular university and get a Masters in education). If you are going to go through all the trouble and expense of getting a certificate , you might as well get a CELTA.
I did a TEFL certificate program which was as difficult as the CELTA, but unfortunately, it's difficult for me to prove that. I agree that CELTA has a better reputation. Some TEFL courses are very good, but many are not and they ruin the reputations of the good ones.

Although in Hungary, they don't seem to make much of a distinction. Europe is all about education, so I think the only thing that would really impress employers here is a master's degree. I don't think most teachers here even know what a DELTA is!
ErikHeaven
Experienced Poster

I found this today sounds promising.

Post by ErikHeaven »

TESOL/TESL/TEFL Certification Courses in Buffalo, NY
Oxford Seminars is the leading provider of TESOL/TESL/TEFL certification courses in Buffalo, NY. Get certified and join thousands of our graduates teaching English in dozens of countries around the world.
Upcoming Free Information Session

7:00 pm, Tuesday, August 9, 2011
Canisius Amherst Conference Center, Room: To be announced
Canisius College
300N Corporate Parkway, Amherst, NY 14226
Learn more

Nearby TESOL/TESL/TEFL Courses

See all 130 locations
TESOL/TESL/TEFL Certification Course in Buffalo, NY (Canisius College)
Course #1552: Sept. 10, 11, 17, 18, 24, 25
Saturdays (9:00am - 6:00pm), Sundays (9:00am - 6:00pm)
Price: $1195 - Course Outline
Enroll Now
Oxford Seminars courses in Buffalo, NY are usually held at Canisius College. To enroll by phone, call 1-800-779-1779.

Notify me of additional upcoming courses in Buffalo, NY
All areas of the course brought out new ideas and different things I hadn't thought of before taking the course.
M.G., Buffalo, NY