Philippines/Mexico

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Philippines/Mexico

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

I have been debating on whether I should go to either the Philippines or Mexico, but as of right now, I am leaning towards Mexico because not only would it cost less for me to go to Mexico, any and all visas and documentations I might only be able to obtain at a consulate general personally, I can literally walk to the Consulado General de Mexico because it is in downtown San Antonio, not too far from where I am, while the only known Consulate General for the Philippines is in L.A. (Los Angeles, California), even though it does serve Texas. This would mean that I would spend at least $300 trying to get there to get my visas (bus fare, and a possible hotel stay) and get back to San Antonio, THEN I would need to get a plane ticket to the Philippines and that is gonna run me at least $1K, so I think it would be cheaper for me to vacation in Mexico.

What do you guys (with experience) think? Is it true that I will have to go to the Philippines Consulate General in person, or is there something that I can do here in San Antonio, TX?

P.S. If I do go to the Philippines, would it be cheaper to catch a bus/train to one of the major West Coast cities and catch an international flight to the Philippines, or with the combined price of a bus/train ticket and a plane ticket out of the West Coast city, would it be better/less expensive for me to catch the plane out of San Antonio?
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

OutWest
Veteran Poster

Re: Philippines/Mexico

Post by OutWest »

The_Hero_of_Men wrote:I have been debating on whether I should go to either the Philippines or Mexico, but as of right now, I am leaning towards Mexico because not only would it cost less for me to go to Mexico, any and all visas and documentations I might only be able to obtain at a consulate general personally, I can literally walk to the Consulado General de Mexico because it is in downtown San Antonio, not too far from where I am, while the only known Consulate General for the Philippines is in L.A. (Los Angeles, California), even though it does serve Texas. This would mean that I would spend at least $300 trying to get there to get my visas (bus fare, and a possible hotel stay) and get back to San Antonio, THEN I would need to get a plane ticket to the Philippines and that is gonna run me at least $1K, so I think it would be cheaper for me to vacation in Mexico.

What do you guys (with experience) think? Is it true that I will have to go to the Philippines Consulate General in person, or is there something that I can do here in San Antonio, TX?

P.S. If I do go to the Philippines, would it be cheaper to catch a bus/train to one of the major West Coast cities and catch an international flight to the Philippines, or with the combined price of a bus/train ticket and a plane ticket out of the West Coast city, would it be better/less expensive for me to catch the plane out of San Antonio?

What are you talking about? You do NOT need an advance visa to go to the Philippines, and you have no need to do anything with the consulate in the USA. On arrival in the Philippines, you will receive a 21 day tourist entry visa which can be extended is you wish to a total of 60 days, after which it can be renewed. The 21 day visa is issued at the airport on entry to the country and the extensions or renewals can be done at the closest immigration control office wherever you are in the Philippines.

Literally, to go the Philippines have your valid passport, buy a ticket, and get on the plane. It is that simple.
And no, it is not cheaper to take some other transport to the west coast...you are making this all much more complicated than it needs to be!!!

Outwest
Misamais Oriental, Mindanao.
Twobrains
Freshman Poster

Post by Twobrains »

Outwest is correct. And I'd be surprised if you need a visa for Mexico - I'm a Brit and I didn't need one.

As for which country to visit, it depends on your objectives. I went to both last year so I think I'm well placed to advise you if you outline what you want out of your holiday.
"As long as you make an identity for yourself out of the pain, you cannot become free of it." Eckhart Tolle
clowny
Freshman Poster

Post by clowny »

Phillipines and mexico are both poor choices, IMO. I have heard that mexican women are quite horrific. I personally would go to brazil, the women there are incredibly sexy and feminine.
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

Mexian women are generally shorter. I would say tall would be at 5'5. The girl I am talking to right now is only 5'2 (this is with heels). I would like a person at least 5'5 but I accept that her personality is good and she is relatively attractive but her height is short (and her chest area is small).
Anonymous1
Freshman Poster

Post by Anonymous1 »

clowny wrote:Phillipines and mexico are both poor choices, IMO. I have heard that mexican women are quite horrific. I personally would go to brazil, the women there are incredibly sexy and feminine.
brazilian women are way overrated...
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

@OutWest

The reason why I was asking is because I was unsure, and I was not trying to make anything more complicated. Since I am still green when it comes to stuff like this, I am trying to find out what exactly to do.

If I go to either the Philippines or Mexico, I'm going to try to find a good woman. Maybe a week or two isn't enough time to find a good LTR, so it will probably be somewhere between LTR & P4P.
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
manly5000
Freshman Poster

Post by manly5000 »

Anonymous1 wrote:
clowny wrote:Phillipines and mexico are both poor choices, IMO. I have heard that mexican women are quite horrific. I personally would go to brazil, the women there are incredibly sexy and feminine.
How so?
Anonymous1
Freshman Poster

Post by Anonymous1 »

manly5000 wrote:
Anonymous1 wrote:
How so?
the every brazilian woman is a 10.....

some people were bold enough to say the ugliest brazilian woman would be the prettiest in any other country
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

You'll need to get a tourist visa upon arrival in Mexico, either at the airport or at one of the official points of entries at the land border crossings. It will cost you just over 250 pesos or 20 dollars, which must be paid in Mexican cash, and present your passport. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes. It will be valid for exactly 180 days.

However, you do not need a Mexican visa if you are visiting a border city such as Tijuana or Ciudad Juarez.

That being said, most of you guys should know what I think about Mexico. It's really subjective depending on the person, especially Spanish-language skills.

Overall, daily poverty and crime in Mexico does not get as bad as in the Philippines.

Have fun! :D
Anonymous1
Freshman Poster

Post by Anonymous1 »

Falcon wrote:You'll need to get a tourist visa upon arrival in Mexico, either at the airport or at one of the official points of entries at the land border crossings. It will cost you just over 250 pesos or 20 dollars, which must be paid in Mexican cash, and present your passport. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes. It will be valid for exactly 180 days.

However, you do not need a Mexican visa if you are visiting a border city such as Tijuana or Ciudad Juarez.

That being said, most of you guys should know what I think about Mexico. It's really subjective depending on the person, especially Spanish-language skills.

Overall, daily poverty and crime in Mexico does not get as bad as in the Philippines.

LOL I think crime is way worse in Mexico though....1 word...Cartels
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Is the cartel thing over exaggerated?
Anonymous1
Freshman Poster

Post by Anonymous1 »

abcdavid01 wrote:Is the cartel thing over exaggerated?
lol 10,000 people getting killed in a year by cartels is not overexaggerating

but Im guessing the quality of hookers in Mexico is better...Winston..mexico would be your dream place
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Anonymous1 wrote:
Falcon wrote:You'll need to get a tourist visa upon arrival in Mexico, either at the airport or at one of the official points of entries at the land border crossings. It will cost you just over 250 pesos or 20 dollars, which must be paid in Mexican cash, and present your passport. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes. It will be valid for exactly 180 days.

LOL I think crime is way worse in Mexico though....1 word...Cartels

Mexico used to be safer than the Philippines, but I think that is no longer the case. Several expat friends have lived there for years, and things have changed a lot- for the worse.

A couple of hundred kidnappings last year in the Philippines. In Mexico? Thousands. Now it is the kidnapping capital of the world.
http://laht.com/article.asp?CategoryId= ... eId=357158
Even in "safe" enclaves things have changed...
Some still pretty safe areas in spite of it all...one of my favorites...Guanajuato
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/ ... ajuato.jpg

Outwest
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Fact and Fiction about the cartels:

http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/arti ... ug-cartels