Renewing US passport without getting the RFID microchip

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
rudder
Junior Poster

Renewing US passport without getting the RFID microchip

Post by rudder »

I've got to get my passport renewed soon, and I'm wondering if it's possible to get the passport renewed without getting a new booklet that contains the RFID microchip.

The passport I have now is one of the old passports. I'd like to keep the passport booklet I have and just renew it, because I have all the country stamps and visas that I've collected over the years. Maybe get a new picture...but I DEFINETELY DO NOT want them to send me one of the new passport booklets with the microchip.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

No chance of that. Paranoid much? Just don't do anything stupid and there other ways to protect your assets. Investigate those route, instead of putting a tin foil hat on.

They would only track you if you gave them a reason. Via metadata when they scan your passport at the airport for international flights, a file is saved to be gathered by Immigration.

So they may know what country you went too, but they don't know why and they don't know what city...
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

There are no exceptions to the RFID microchip. The only way you or anyone else can deal with the microchip is containing the signal. I believe that anything with the RFID microchips can be tracked by satellites (if it's a government RFID chip) even if they say that they can't track it with a satellite.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... FID-chips/

I think that a lead-lined box or thick metal box would be the best way to contain the signal.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Tsar wrote:There are no exceptions to the RFID microchip. The only way you or anyone else can deal with the microchip is containing the signal. I believe that anything with the RFID microchips can be tracked by satellites (if it's a government RFID chip) even if they say that they can't track it with a satellite.

I think that a lead-lined box or thick metal box would be the best way to contain the signal.
Oh the wonders of being African-American, the Government couldn't give too sh*ts where I went and for how long. Now if I was a Black Muslim, all bets are off and you need to Google or Bing that yourself.

Otherwise this overreaction to stuff is comical at best.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Yes, call me weird for not wanting to be treated like a sheep.

Of course the gov't can monitor all RFID's in passports in real time using computer programs and GPS. This is the 21st century for christ's sake.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Tsar wrote:There are no exceptions to the RFID microchip. The only way you or anyone else can deal with the microchip is containing the signal. I believe that anything with the RFID microchips can be tracked by satellites (if it's a government RFID chip) even if they say that they can't track it with a satellite.

The last (and most covert) method for destroying a RFID tag is to hit it with a hammer. Just pick up any ordinary hammer and give the chip a few swift hard whacks. This will destroy the chip, and leave no evidence that the tag has been tampered with. This method is suitable for destroying the tags in passports, because there will be no proof that you intentionally destroyed the chip.
Hahaha, this is exactly what I was thinking.