Selling meditation music

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Selling meditation music

Post by Johnny1975 »

This is a question for internet marketers or people who are into meditation.

I'm considering the idea of creating products that consist of meditation music for the hippy dippy crowd and people who are into that kind of thing.

What I have in mind is pieces of ambient music that are 20 or so minutes long, maybe longer, ranging from very calm, soothing, relaxing music, to slightly upbeat tracks.

Perhaps I could compose tracks for each chakra, or each starsign, and stuff like that. I could do pieces in various styles. I have quite an eclectic style so I would be happy to mix it up and create strange sounds. I could do morning music, evening music, music to aid sleep, music to induce a particular mood, etc. I could create a wide range of products with different themes.

I could have a landing page where I give away 3 tracks, then they sign up, and every couple of weeks I send them a freebie montage of a couple of other tracks, and when I have 5, 6, maybe 7 new pieces I can promote that album in my next email. So that way, they're always getting freebies, and I can sell albums as soon as they're finished.

I'd quite like to do this but first I'd like to get an idea of whether or not there would be much of a demand for it.

What do you think? If I did this, would it be worth it? If you don't think it would do well, why is that? Is it just a crappy idea or does it need improving somehow? And if you like the idea, do you think there are many others who would like it too? How much would you be willing to pay for an album of say 5 or 6 tracks, each 20 - 30 mins long (or longer)?

Selling music as an artist is hard. But I think maybe selling music for a very specific purpose would be different, if it's done right. I hope.

I haven't recorded anything for a few years and I'd love to have a reason to get back into it, but only if it's worth it. Is there a market for this?

I've got loads of music and I've picked 3 tracks that I think are good, and i'm ready to create a landing page and i'm with mailchimp so i'm pretty much ready to go, but only if it's a good idea.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Selling meditation music

Post by Jester »

Brilliant idea, it will work.

Most artists fail at marketing. Knowing what need you are trying to fill is the key.

While working, I have tried listening to podcasts of interviews and monologues, to music, to classical music, spanish guitar, and to meditation music as well. The biggest problem I have is that the audio is either too distracting, or too somnolent.

If its spoken word, I need something calm but not creepy or dreary. A female voice would be nice, but thats hard to find.

I've tried sound effects too, like rainshowers/thunderstorms. Sometimes that helps depending on the mental/emotional zone I am in.

For music, I wore out a Jim Stubblefield CD years ago where he was doing his slightly-new-agey Spanish guitar.

If classical, I would need baroque string quartet or something.

I want to be calmed, get into a zone, but not go to sleep while working.

Thats my two cents. Good luck.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Jester wrote:Brilliant idea, it will work.

Most artists fail at marketing. Knowing what need you are trying to fill is the key.

While working, I have tried listening to podcasts of interviews and monologues, to music, to classical music, spanish guitar, and to meditation music as well. The biggest problem I have is that the audio is either too distracting, or too somnolent.

If its spoken word, I need something calm but not creepy or dreary. A female voice would be nice, but thats hard to find.

I've tried sound effects too, like rainshowers/thunderstorms. Sometimes that helps depending on the mental/emotional zone I am in.

For music, I wore out a Jim Stubblefield CD years ago where he was doing his slightly-new-agey Spanish guitar.

If classical, I would need baroque string quartet or something.

I want to be calmed, get into a zone, but not go to sleep while working.

Thats my two cents. Good luck.
It's good to hear something positive about this idea but what makes you think it will work? Do you think there are a lot of people who would buy my products even though they can get free meditation music on youtube?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Johnny1975 wrote:
It's good to hear something positive about this idea but what makes you think it will work? Do you think there are a lot of people who would buy my products even though they can get free meditation music on youtube?
Most people will choose free.

I would choose to pay 3.95 a month (cancel anytime) if I got what I wanted without the damn video stopping all the time.

YT stops, Pandora stops and drifts off-target due to copyright regs, radio station websites have confusing promos and ads and take FOREVER to log into.

I want to just open the PC, and see a window I left open, and press "play birds chirping" or "play voices of children laughing" or "water dripping" or "sexy female voice reading jack and the beanstalk" or "harp music" or whatever it is. No logging in, no stopping and restarting, just play dammit. Thats what I'd pay for. Or I get an email every day or week, from which I download fresh.

The closer you hone the mindset, and activity, and demographics of the gal/guy you are trying to reach, the more addicted you can make the customer.

I would think people would pay for
--getting to sleep (insomnia)
--productivity (while sitting at PC with headphones in cubicle or starbucks or home office)
--soothing company while doing tasks alone
-- and yes also meditation... possibly with a soft or deep voice to intro it, then music or sound effects

Just like hypnosis tapes are for a particular thing like "stop smoking"
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

What about this... (I just thought of this now)

I was trying to think of a group of people who would be most eager to buy ambient music, and this group came to mind :

People who work from home but who have trouble concentrating, focusing and staying in the zone (productivity and inspiration).

The reason why I think this is a good group is because they have something very important at stake (their business = their livelihood) but who have a major problem holding them back at times (can't always stay focused). Also, being self employed, they will probably (hopefully) have enough cash.

I could market to those people and make it clear that my music will help them. Obviously I could market to anyone and it would benefit lots of other types of people, but as I've learned, you have to speak to somebody otherwise you're not speaking to anybody.

My USPs :

* Unlike youtube and radio, there are no interruptions
* Unlike regular music, the tracks are 20-60 (maybe longer) mins long
* The music is made specifically to gently stimulate and keep their minds in the creative zone
* My distinctive, personal style, as opposed to various artists (for what it's worth...it may or may not matter, but still)

It seems like a good idea to me. What do you think?