The Automobile: America's Love & CURSE

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

The Automobile: America's Love & CURSE

Post by jamesbond »

Here is a good video explaining America's obsession with the automobile.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFuwWd8Teoo[/youtube]
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Re: The Automobile: America's Love & CURSE

Post by IraqVet2003 »

jamesbond wrote:Here is a good video explaining America's obsession with the automobile.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFuwWd8Teoo[/youtube]
Very fascinating video!!!
traveller
Junior Poster

Re: The Automobile: America's Love & CURSE

Post by traveller »

Interesting video! There are quite a few places I can easily name in America where you literally don't need a car for everyday activities! The Florida Keys (Key West, Big Pine Key, Cudjoe Key, Marathon Key, Key Largo, Islamorada, and Sugarloaf Key) is one area easily navigable by bicycle. Even Miami easily has great year round weather for using bicycles as a primary mode of transportation, as does Miami Beach, Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Naples, Fort Lauderdale, Punta Gorda, and even Port Charlotte. The entire State of Hawaii also has the perfect climate for bicycles, as does American Samoa and the U.S. Virgin Islands. In tropical paradise, the only thing a car ought to be used for is when going to the store and buying large, heavy items such as furniture, beds, mattresses, large trees (burlapped palm trees, fruit trees over 6 feet tall, etc) and such, for travelling long distances (greater than 25 miles one way), and for evacuating especially the Florida Keys when there's a hurricane. For recreation travel such as going to the beach, visiting a nearby state park, visiting a friend or family member, and in some cases even going to work, get on that bicycle! Just simply remember; make sure you have plenty of water with you, wear light weight, light colored clothing, and take a break once in a while if it gets too hot.

Of course most northern cities also become bicycle friendly weatherwise in summer, though you will need the car when winter sets in again and the snow starts flying.