Did you guys get jobs?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Did you guys get jobs?

Post by MrMan »

I started using this forum during the Obama era. Young men were complaining about only being able to get lousy retail jobs as the best option. They couldn't get a job without experience and couldn't get experience without a job.

Well, how have things turned out for you? Unemployment was around 3.5% the last I read. Did you all end up with jobs that paid okay? Did any of you end up in your own businesses that turned out well?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Did you guys get jobs?

Post by Cornfed »

So from when you joined I managed to get a job that probably qualified as medium status for the shithole I lived in but paid shit and was shit. Then I got a really good work from home job through this forum (thanks guys). Now I have a shitty job which I got by shamelessly whining to the welfare people that I couldn’t do the hard labouring jobs I kept being offered due to injuries, allowing me to be hired as a kind of affirmative action category for shitty jobs usually done by females. I have the money to start my own business and seriously investigated doing so, but chose not to for various reasons. So some of us really have to hustle to get jobs and we can to some extent, but it is a real struggle. BTW, if you believe unemployment is 3.5% you are a total moron and nothing you say about anything should be taken seriously for the rest of your life.
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

Cornfed wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 11:13 pm
BTW, if you believe unemployment is 3.5% you are a total moron and nothing you say about anything should be taken seriously for the rest of your life.
I wouldn't go that far but thanks for correcting him and do you have anything that shows how the figures are taken out of context? It's been years since I looked at this. I'm not sure about Clinton but Bush manipulated the statistics to show the media the middle class was doing fine while car factories were being moved to Mexico and tech jobs were being outsourced to Asia, then Obama manipulated them even further showing things were improving after the 2008 recession which went against all common sense, then Trump manipulated them further while keeping the methods of the past two presidents so the gap between the real figures and the media figures is farther than ever.

March 15, 2017: https://sites.psu.edu/gershcivicissue/2 ... tatistics/
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the current unemployment rate stands at 4.7% as of the end of February, yet on the campaign trail and in office, President Donald Trump has suggested that the current statistic may be underestimating true unemployment in America. In fact, he has claimed that the true unemployment rate may be upwards of 42%.

So how did Trump get his 42%? Well, he took all the Americans above the age of 16 who weren’t in the labor force, added them to the rest of the unemployed and divided it all by the people in the working age population. This means, that stay-at-home moms, discouraged workers, your retired grandpa, and even you, a full time-student, are counted as unemployed under Trump’s claim.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Cornfed wrote:
So from when you joined I managed to get a job that probably qualified as medium status for the shithole I lived in but paid shit and was shit. Then I got a really good work from home job through this forum (thanks guys). Now I have a shitty job which I got by shamelessly whining to the welfare people that I couldn’t do the hard labouring jobs I kept being offered due to injuries, allowing me to be hired as a kind of affirmative action category for shitty jobs usually done by females. I have the money to start my own business and seriously investigated doing so, but chose not to for various reasons. So some of us really have to hustle to get jobs and we can to some extent, but it is a real struggle. BTW, if you believe unemployment is 3.5% you are a total moron and nothing you say about anything should be taken seriously for the rest of your life.
They say Obama redefined how they count unemployment and I haven't heard if they changed it back yet. But the economy seems to be doing well, maybe not the underlying fundamentals, but at least lots of people seem to be working.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

HappyGuy wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 1:14 am
Cornfed wrote:
BTW, if you believe unemployment is 3.5% you are a total moron and nothing you say about anything should be taken seriously for the rest of your life.
I wouldn't go that far but thanks for correcting him and do you have anything that shows how the figures are taken out of context?
In the US the main way of understating the figures is to not count people who have been unemployed for more than six months because they are said to be discouraged and not looking for work. Here the figures don’t count people who don’t collect welfare for whatever reason, married women, people on courses, people who do voluntary work or say they do, people who work part time, people with a medical deferment etc. The number of working age non-economic participants in most Western counties is about 35%, but it is true that not all of them should be counted as unemployed because they include housewives who want to be housewives, students who want to be students, genuinely disabled etc. Unemployment as we traditionally understand it would probably be a little over 20% in most places.

There was a time when the in the early odds when the govt for some reason wanted to set a world record for low unemployment. They ordered some unemployed to work a couple of days a week on orchards or picking up trash or whatever, ordered others to do some kind of stupid course in self esteem or whatever, pressured others into claiming illness and cut the welfare of anyone who didn’t comply. Viola, no unemployment. Thankfully the crash of ’08 put a stop to that nonsense.