Mask wearing in Taiwan vs. the U.S.

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
statnerd
Freshman Poster

Mask wearing in Taiwan vs. the U.S.

Post by statnerd »

I visited Taiwan in early February and just about everyone was wearing a mask in public, but yet here in the U.S. where I am now, nobody is wearing a mask. There are people panic-buying toilet paper and other items from the grocery store, but they aren't wearing masks. Why is that? Masks stop droplets from leaving your mouth and nose when you sneeze or cough.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Mask wearing in Taiwan vs. the U.S.

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

I'm fine so far because I like that Idris Elba actor in Fast & Farious: Hobbs & Shaw that got rebuilt: I hardly wear a mask but I use sanitizer like whoa.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

statnerd wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 8:22 am
I visited Taiwan in early February and just about everyone was wearing a mask in public...
Masks stop droplets from leaving your mouth and nose when you sneeze or cough.
To use cheap gaze or paper masks is very popular in Japan too, also in some other Asian countries, especially in cities with high population.

There are some reasons for that, it's not only about coughing, but also about pollution, pollen allergy, or facing cold and windy weather when working outside etc.

Not sure if it is really effective facing a virus - a virus can enter also through your eyes and infect you - but it might be helpful in case of dust, exhaust fumes from cars....
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Masks are to protect other people from you rather than the other way round. Therefore in multiculti societies where there is no social cohesion and no-one gives a damn about anyone else there is no reason to use them. Another reason to support nationalism - in the case of America, white nationalism.