You Should Have Left - Hollywood's warning

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: You Should Have Left - Hollywood's warning

Post by Yohan »

hypermak wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 10:56 pm
Hmm...you should have left [the US]...but to go where?

That other places in Europe or Asia or South America are in a much better position to face the coming total collapse, it's a romantic myth that is understandable, but not exactly true.
Go to where? This is a good question, especially if you are from USA.

About Asia:

The major question is how much money do you have? Can you find a job with good income in the country of destination?
What about visa/working permit? Personal safety? Medical care and insurance? Can you buy your accommodation there and so on....

If you really have a lot of money you can go almost everywhere worldwide, the US-passport is not that bad for international travel and long-stay but only if you do not bother the locals teaching them how much better all and everything is in the States.

However here in Japan, the US-dollar lost over the last decades more than 70 percent of its value... People who get their salary in USD, like US-military servicemen are now financially pretty down.

Many countries in Asia have also their problems and are anything but stable and often not so welcoming to foreigners

South Korea is facing North Korea and is not a cheap place and rather crowded
Taiwan is always aware it might be attacked by China anytime, HongKong is gone already...
China is not my favorite anyway, and if you are US-citizen be careful and aware of political problems between China and USA.
Philippines is a poverty place and has serious problems with criminality
Singapore is nothing but a city-state and fairly expensive.
Thailand is not bad for short-time, but long-stay requires a lot of paperwork, not really so welcoming and recently not so cheap anymore.
Countries which were promising in the past, like Lebanon and even Iran - forget about them.
There are various countries which are nothing but headache - Pakistan and Bangladesh, North Korea and Afghanistan etc.
Others might welcome you, but there is not much there... like Mongolia or some former Soviet-Union countries

If you have money and are retired, Malaysia is not so bad, but to buy property there as a foreigner does not make sense, too many restrictions.

I heard many positive comments about Nepal, but I have no experience about it... anybody knows more about this country?
Some people mention Indonesia, but I am not sure about long-stay permits...

Concusion: if you are in Asia, keep always an escape route in your mind, never bring all money into Asia - so you can move on anytime in case of trouble.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

Yohan wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 9:44 pm
Go to where? This is a good question, especially if you are from USA.

About Asia:

The major question is how much money do you have? Can you find a job with good income in the country of destination?
What about visa/working permit? Personal safety? Medical care and insurance? Can you buy your accommodation there and so on....

If you really have a lot of money you can go almost everywhere worldwide, the US-passport is not that bad for international travel and long-stay but only if you do not bother the locals teaching them how much better all and everything is in the States.

However here in Japan, the US-dollar lost over the last decades more than 70 percent of its value... People who get their salary in USD, like US-military servicemen are now financially pretty down.

Many countries in Asia have also their problems and are anything but stable and often not so welcoming to foreigners

South Korea is facing North Korea and is not a cheap place and rather crowded
Taiwan is always aware it might be attacked by China anytime, HongKong is gone already...
China is not my favorite anyway, and if you are US-citizen be careful and aware of political problems between China and USA.
Philippines is a poverty place and has serious problems with criminality
Singapore is nothing but a city-state and fairly expensive.
Thailand is not bad for short-time, but long-stay requires a lot of paperwork, not really so welcoming and recently not so cheap anymore.
Countries which were promising in the past, like Lebanon and even Iran - forget about them.
There are various countries which are nothing but headache - Pakistan and Bangladesh, North Korea and Afghanistan etc.
Others might welcome you, but there is not much there... like Mongolia or some former Soviet-Union countries

If you have money and are retired, Malaysia is not so bad, but to buy property there as a foreigner does not make sense, too many restrictions.

I heard many positive comments about Nepal, but I have no experience about it... anybody knows more about this country?
Some people mention Indonesia, but I am not sure about long-stay permits...

Concusion: if you are in Asia, keep always an escape route in your mind, never bring all money into Asia - so you can move on anytime in case of trouble.
Actually, as far as I have seen, Philippines has a lot of poverty, especially outside the bigger cities, but I never heard of serious crime problems. Nothing ever happened to me during my time in Manila and I never heard anything happening to any of my foreign colleagues.

I heard Thailand has been hit much worse by the pandemic, especially the more touristy areas, and lots of people have started to resort to crime to make ends meet. The worst that happened in the Philippines is, people got more insistent towards wealthier family members, neighbours or local government offices. Some of them even resorted to beg but, I am sure, very few turned to outright crime.

One thing Filipinos fall abundantly for is scam schemes, Ponzi schemes, and I am sure those will have plummeted in number since people have a lot less disposable income now.
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

Yohan wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 9:44 pm
Speaking of Malaysia, anyone here who has chosen that country to live?

I have only visited for a few days, and although I enjoyed the sight-seeing nothing else really stood out to me from the rest of the region. Which as such is not a bad thing.

Looks like it got hit hard by covid though.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Well, I considered to live there as my second home, (Europe and Malaysia) but later on changed my mind and I have now my second home in Thailand, Pattaya/Jomtien. (Japan as permanent resident and Thailand as second home)

About 20 years ago, Thailand was about half of all costs of Malaysia. Still Thailand is cheaper than Malaysia also now.
Especially sale of property to foreigners is heavily restricted, you can only buy upper class housing etc.

I was often in Malaysia, living within a Chinese family, almost ready for marriage, but this was long time ago, it did not work so well and later on I moved to Japan.

I still have friends in Malaysia however, also Malay was my first Asian language.
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

January 19, 2021
Jordan Peele's "Antebellum" -- Get out of the U.S. by when?
https://yewtu.be/watch?v=_gvYFubTxso
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gvYFubTxso

:shock:

January 22nd, 2021
Welcome To The Hunger Games!
https://www.bitchute.com/video/5rAAjEuiyveW/

January 27, 2021
:idea: Stupid Cowards Make Life Dangerous For Everyone #JoeImbriano
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtSi0Cc77vM