What's Everyone Doing in the Lockdown/No-Fly Era?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

What's Everyone Doing in the Lockdown/No-Fly Era?

Post by xiongmao »

Wow I think it's my HA 10th anniversary. Who'd have thought that the entire world would be off limits :roll:?

Anyway, what's everyone doing this year?

I fled my TEFL job in Guangzhou in February and after hiding out in Bangkok for 3 weeks I went back to the UK.

I was offered a secondary job in Bangkok but couldn't then fly back out to start and besides all the schools were closed.

I got offered an IT job in the UK but never started it due to Covid. For the first time in my life I got fired before stepping foot in the office but at least I got some money out of it :mrgreen:.

I activated Plan Z in June (to do a one year PGCE [postgrad teaching] course). I chose high school because the UK .gov pay you to do it, as there's such a general perception that high schools are a nightmare to work in. Also I figure that knowing how to teach secondary level opens up the most opportunities for teaching jobs at home and abroad.

So far Plan Z is going OK. At least I'm doing something that should help a lot if the world reopens again. I've got my eye on Thailand, Japan or maybe South Korea. I think I have burned my bridges with China and Hong Kong given I got a bit pro-democracy on WeChat.

How about everybody else?
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: What's Everyone Doing in the Lockdown/No-Fly Era?

Post by Cornfed »

xiongmao wrote:
October 3rd, 2020, 9:26 am
I activated Plan Z in June (to do a one year PGCE [postgrad teaching] course). I chose high school because the UK .gov pay you to do it, as there's such a general perception that high schools are a nightmare to work in. Also I figure that knowing how to teach secondary level opens up the most opportunities for teaching jobs at home and abroad.
Ah yes, when you are really down and out you either off yourself, accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your saviour or apply to teach in high school. Not to disrespect your choice, but have you considered accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as your saviour?
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

xiongmao wrote:
I fled my TEFL job in Guangzhou in February
Curious to know how this job is? Very good? Not so good? I heard the starting pay for English teachers in China is very good.

I am living in Da Nang, Vietnam where the weather is very sunny and about to do a motorbike ride along the coastline of Vietnam. I found out that Thailand has opened the border at Phuket only so I may go back to Thailand because I love Thailand and have friends there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

xiongmao wrote:
I think I have burned my bridges with China and Hong Kong given I got a bit pro-democracy on WeChat.
Lol isn't that like the absolute worst Big Brothery app to be talking politics on? Like literally any other app would be better for political talk than WeChat.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

My situation at this moment is the following: I came back with one of the last connection flights from Bangkok to Osaka in middle of March to my Japanese home. My family members and also friends who were visiting me left Pattaya/Bangkok about 2 weeks earlier and had no problem, but my schedule was changed several times by the airline and because of that I arrived a few days later than scheduled, but I got my full airfare back (paid in mileage, received a full refund) - so I came back home for free, not bad...

In Japan, in my area in Okayama, there is no much change so far, here are not many foreigners, life for the Japanese in this area is the same as always with very few infections (2 million people in the entire province - about 160 infections, only 8 still in hospitals, nobody died) - no travel restrictions for domestic travel in all Japan.

I and wife, we are retired, receiving pension, no problem about time and job/money.

About Thailand, I can only wait it out. I have 2 condominium units in Pattaya/Jomtien, nobody can go there at this moment, I have no Thai family.
Retirement related Thai visa and tourist-visa free 30 days etc. - all still suspended.

No hurry,as I am a Japanese permanent resident, we have our own comfortable home in Okayama, nothing missing. My area, outskirt of Okayama City, is very nice, already rural, with rice-fields, fruit farms, with forests, rivers, and not far away from the sea. I have motorcycle and car, and all trains in Japan are running normally on schedule. Japan is a good place to live for me...

I don't think there is any way to get out of Japan now for me - nowhere to go and if I go, no guarantee I will be allowed to come back without quarantine time .... Japan is also very restrictive now, it's not only about Thailand and some other Asian countries.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

So it's official. The lockdown situation isn't easing. I have resigned last week and got my flight back to Italy booked for mid November. This Philippines stint has been interesting but too short-lived as a sous chef professional experience. I am planning to be back helping with my family business.

We have a few things in mind to revamp the brand and the menu. We might even start a commissary kitchen and a delivery service, but that is pending some external investment.

The hardest part is to say goodbye to K. She has been crying and asking me to take her to Italy, and that is not an out-of-this-world idea. We will see...
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

hypermak wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 8:58 pm
So it's official. The lockdown situation isn't easing. I have resigned last week and got my flight back to Italy booked for mid November. This Philippines stint has been interesting but too short-lived as a sous chef professional experience. I am planning to be back helping with my family business.

We have a few things in mind to revamp the brand and the menu. We might even start a commissary kitchen and a delivery service, but that is pending some external investment.

The hardest part is to say goodbye to K. She has been crying and asking me to take her to Italy, and that is not an out-of-this-world idea. We will see...
If 'K' was my missus, she would be in Alitalia business class! :lol:

How is it over there for bringing home a foreign spouse or partner? In the UK you need 70000 Euros in savings, earning 30000 Euros a year and have six months wage slips before she can even enter the country - so people are waiting a year between leaving their spouse, finding a job, getting six months of wage slips before they can apply for their wife/partner to join them - I am sure Italy is far more sensible than the craphole I am from.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

yick wrote:
October 6th, 2020, 6:44 am
If 'K' was my missus, she would be in Alitalia business class! :lol:

How is it over there for bringing home a foreign spouse or partner? In the UK you need 70000 Euros in savings, earning 30000 Euros a year and have six months wage slips before she can even enter the country - so people are waiting a year between leaving their spouse, finding a job, getting six months of wage slips before they can apply for their wife/partner to join them - I am sure Italy is far more sensible than the craphole I am from.
Thanks mate. I have no idea what the requirements would be to bring a Filipina in Italy. I am not exactly in a hurry to marry, not to K, not to anyone. She is a lovely girl and probably wife material but I was clear from the onset. I will definitely ask around about how easy (or how hard) it would be to arrange for a Filipino national to enter Italy on a short-term or tourist Visa. It is true that thre UK has a different visa system from the Schengen one, but I wouldn't be so hopeful that the requirements are much better than the UK ones.

All I know is that there is a tiny quota for each nationality, to get qualified people from each country into Italy. The one for Filipino nationals is probably 10% of the actual number of Filipinos wanting to enter Italy. The only saving grace about Italy is that, unlike the UK, we do not have an immigration police, so we tend to be a lot more lenient towards illegal migrants. As far as I know all Filipinos who are domestic helpers or nannies in Italy all enter illegally. They have the right to basic healthcare but can't get a regular job because they can't have a regular work permit. So being locked into a big family house 6 or 7 days a week and being paid "in nero", under the table, is all they can accept.

They then have to wait for a "sanatoria" (amnesty) to have a chance to become legal immigrants and then apply for a resident Visa and a citizenship if they so wish.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

hypermak wrote:
October 6th, 2020, 8:01 am
.....I have no idea what the requirements would be to bring a Filipina in Italy.
For your information:

The easiest way to enter Italy in this case would be the Schengen Visa, valid for 90 days. It costs Euro 80,-

Required documents for application at the Schengen related consulate:
Apply at least 3 weeks before departure!

Passport

Application form

2 identical pictures

Confirmed/fully paid flight-ticket to and return.

Travel insurance (there is a Schengen Insurance available for about Euro 100,- by AXA and similar insurance companies online)
minimum cover must be Euro 30.000,-

Further In this case inviting a friend:

Proof of accommodation: with details about address, available rooms, rental contact or proof of ownership etc...

An invitation letter of the Italian citizen, who gives full guarantee for this accommodation and basic needs in original+
a copy of his passport.

Further, any proof that the visitor has enough money for his/her expenses during the stay, in case of invitation, the host must provide also a guarantee letter to prove that he is able to do that financially and should add a copy of his banking account, or copy to prove his income otherwise like his employment contract etc...

If the Filipina girl has any reasonable job/income/saving, she also should add a copy of such statements to prove that she can pay for her expenses during her stay abroad.

-----

That's all, it is fairly easy to invite a friend from outside EU for a maximum of 90 days but ONLY for citizens who belong to countries of the Schengen Agreement and are living permanently within the Schengen area.

IMPORTANT: You cannot live in Philippines as an Italian citizen and give guarantee for a Schengen visa for a Filipina and travel together to Italy for vacation....

Keep in mind, the invited guest MUST LEAVE the Schengen region within 90 days after arrival.
90 days is the maximum time to stay during 180 days with a Schengen visa.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

Yohan wrote:
October 6th, 2020, 10:07 am
hypermak wrote:
October 6th, 2020, 8:01 am
.....I have no idea what the requirements would be to bring a Filipina in Italy.
For your information:

The easiest way to enter Italy in this case would be the Schengen Visa, valid for 90 days. It costs Euro 80,-

Required documents for application at the Schengen related consulate:
Apply at least 3 weeks before departure!

Passport

Application form

2 identical pictures

Confirmed/fully paid flight-ticket to and return.

Travel insurance (there is a Schengen Insurance available for about Euro 100,- by AXA and similar insurance companies online)
minimum cover must be Euro 30.000,-

Further In this case inviting a friend:

Proof of accommodation: with details about address, available rooms, rental contact or proof of ownership etc...

An invitation letter of the Italian citizen, who gives full guarantee for this accommodation and basic needs in original+
a copy of his passport.

Further, any proof that the visitor has enough money for his/her expenses during the stay, in case of invitation, the host must provide also a guarantee letter to prove that he is able to do that financially and should add a copy of his banking account, or copy to prove his income otherwise like his employment contract etc...

If the Filipina girl has any reasonable job/income/saving, she also should add a copy of such statements to prove that she can pay for her expenses during her stay abroad.

-----

That's all, it is fairly easy to invite a friend from outside EU for a maximum of 90 days but ONLY for citizens who belong to countries of the Schengen Agreement and are living permanently within the Schengen area.

IMPORTANT: You cannot live in Philippines as an Italian citizen and give guarantee for a Schengen visa for a Filipina and travel together to Italy for vacation....

Keep in mind, the invited guest MUST LEAVE the Schengen region within 90 days after arrival.
90 days is the maximum time to stay during 180 days with a Schengen visa.
Grazie @Yohan! :) You have been faster than me. You're right, I will probably have to have someone else in my family to act as a sponsor for K's visa, since I will have been back from the Philippines. I am already a director in the family holding company but no employment contract. Got to sort that out as soon as I get back, but that was a given...

What I am not too sure about is how easy it would be for a Filipino citizen to get a Schengen 90-day (tourist) visa . I heard that those visas are easy to obtain in practice, since Filipinos are a nationality with a history of overstaying their visas and settling there as illegal aliens.

I will need to enquiry at the closest Philippine consulate, in Milan I believe. Anyway, to be honest with you, I told K not to expect any miracle. I will do what I can, but no more.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/philippines/

@hypermak

Maybe this link might be helpful for you....

Covid restrictions should also be considered.... rules are changing every day and the question is if even a reasonably priced airlink is available.

Also to add - the present requirement for daily expenses is euro 50,- for a tourist in EU coming from outside of EU, which means a Filipina as a tourist must prove to have access AT LEAST to euro 1500,- per month/euro 4500,- for 3 months (or a guarantor holding a citizenship of Schengen related countries AND is living permanently in Italy AND who is able to provide that money immediately on request if necessary)