Living in an off grid cabin that anyone can build and afford

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Winston
Site Admin

Living in an off grid cabin that anyone can build and afford

Post by Winston »

Wow would you guys wanna do this? How do you cook and shower and get electricity and food? Also can u build this anywhere in the wilderness? Don't you have to own the land first?

Simple off grid cabin that anyone can build and afford.

This one looks very nice and cozy. But it's more like a house than a cabin.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Simple off grid cabin that anyone can build and afford

Post by Cornfed »

I haven't watched this yet, but the thing is that you need water, electricity and sanitation. Does it have those?
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Winston wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 4:09 pm
Wow would you guys wanna do this? How do you cook and shower and get electricity and food? Also can u build this anywhere in the wilderness? Don't you have to own the land first?
Simple off grid cabin that anyone can build and afford.
I am really sceptical about such constructions. As you correctly said, you need to own the land first of all, and this is a fixed construction, requires in many bureaucratic countries even a building permission...

Here in Japan in rural areas there are plenty of abandoned farm-houses with some land in a no-where area, better you buy something and Do-it-yourself slowly with some repairing.

Paperwork is easy, just to transfer the land-title.
Of course there is electricity, water, propan-gas supply, internet, canalisation...
However these buildings require reparings.

Objects are starting with about USD 12.000,-.

See one example:
located in rural area, about 30 miles from my home

https://suumo.jp/chukoikkodate/okayama/ ... _95347604/
Land 511.47m2、House 95.01m2
if you like farming you can rent farmland 3265 m2 and forest 7285 m2 next to this old wooden stucture
For this place you must drive your own car.
-----
If you want to pay a little more and a better place
https://suumo.jp/chukoikkodate/okayama/ ... _94025248/
for about USD 20.000,-
Land 189.07m2、Buildings 110.9m2
only about 1 mile outside of a smaller city (Tsuyama about 100.000 people)
you can walk to Tsuyama railway station about 20 minutes, no car required,
Construction material will be delivered from any home-supply center in the city, or you can get a small truck for a very small fee from the home-supply center.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuyama

---------
If you insist on a house in good condition in a rural area, where you can move in immediately, next to a bus-station, etc.
not far to the city of Okayama (750.000 people)
https://suumo.jp/chukoikkodate/okayama/ ... _94940590/
expect to pay around USD 50.000,-
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Cornfed wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 6:43 pm
I haven't watched this yet, but the thing is that you need water, electricity and sanitation. Does it have those?
Good question,

Electricity as I see from solar panels, but those panels are not cheap,

Otherwise bring your own generator, water not sure, maybe a river nearby or collect rainwater? Bring your own drinking water with you...
Sanitation likely behind the house, plenty of trees....

I am not in fond of such constructions, better buy some old house/land at least here in Japan in a rural area, plenty of empty buildings.
The farmer died of old age, children and relatives are not interested to take over that place. No business really for any real estate broker, they always want to get rid of such objects quickly for very little money.

In general documents like land title are ready for ownership transfer and power-supply, water supply, also internet, phone landline etc. can be easily re-connected again.

I posted some examples in this thread, at least this is the situation here in Japan.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wow check out this cozy van that has a comfy bed inside and storage space too. Looks very cozy and comfortable. Apparently they are called Sprinter Vans. They look great for camping in and watching nature. See pics below.

https://www.omaze.com/products/sprinter-van-5

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

The problem with the new vehicles is the electronics are to complex and if you cannot get the electronic parts to keep them running they will never run again and in the case of a newer diesel you have to run the exact fuel or it will screw them up.

You build a vehicle like that around a old school mechanical pump engine like a Cummins found in the Dodges. They even had Pnuematic start on those so you don't even need a battery....
Time to Hide!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Is it legal to just go off into the woods and build a cabin like this? How does he do it?

Two Years Alone in the Wilderness | Escape the City to Build Off Grid Log Cabin

One man leaves the city life behind to build a cheap off grid log cabin and homestead in the Canadian wilderness, including a log home, an outdoor kitchen, an outhouse, a woodshed and a sauna bathhouse. Building mostly with hand tools, Shawn James harvests building materials from the forests north of Toronto, Canada and crafts them into functional tools and shelters using traditional woodworking tools and methods. He practices bushcraft and survival skills every day, including fire starting, tree identification and harvesting, wild edible foraging, fishing, hunting, camping in the summer and winter, travelling by canoe and snowshoe, navigation and water collection and purification.

Continue watching in 2019 as Shawn finishes the sauna, plants a forest garden for fruit and vegetables, builds an underground root cellar, ice house and cheese cave, a timber frame workshop and a remote hunt camp closer to fish and game.

A Year in the Wilderness | Off Grid and Self Reliant in a Log Cabin

Another full year in the wilderness living my dream. There is no place I would rather be than in the wilderness, self reliant, thriving in an off grid log cabin and living close to nature. Spring arrived today, and in my mind, it's the beginning of a new year and I reflect on the last 365 days spent building my homestead and creating a safe place for my family and me for times like this. The next 365 days will bring big changes for me and my family as we continue to learn how to and practice becoming more self reliant and put the lessons I have learned over the last three years to use. This year, food security and health are our focus, along with a few building projects that I'll be undertaking alone to make our homestead more self sufficient.
Stay healthy and be kind.

Great comment below the video. So true.
Kuteji Kashi
1 week ago
This is the real life of human being that it should be, NO stress, NO depression, NO bills, NO due dates, NO enemies, NO problems. This is the life that I've always dreaming of. Thanks for this video.
New subscriber.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Living in an off grid cabin that anyone can build and afford

Post by Winston »

Wow check this out. This couple lives off grid in a sailboat and travel the world and are self-sufficient with solar powered electricity.

Living on a Self-Sufficient Sailboat for 10 Years + FULL TOUR

Brian and Karin Trautman have been living on a sailboat for 10 years, and their boat is set up so they can be off the grid in remote places for months at a time with solar and wind power providing electricity, a water maker that turns salt water into fresh water, multiple freezers and loads of storage space for food, and even a small washing machine on board!

They've sailed SV Delos – a 53' sloop rig ketch – 83,000 nautical miles which is the equivalent of circling the earth at the equator more than 3 times. Their latest adventures include sailing as a family with their 6-month baby, Sierra, and outfitting the boat with a heater so they can explore the Arctic this summer after several years in the Tropics.

If you want to follow SV Delos, and support their amazing vlog-style documentary project about the liveaboard lifestyle, we've included links to all their pages here:
https://www.youtube.com/svdelos​
https://www.instagram.com/svdelos/​
https://www.patreon.com/svdelos​
https://svdelos.com/​

Thanks so much for watching and please stay safe!

Mat & Danielle